Horrible chattering sound when stopping!...

gixxerjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Happened twice in the last couple mile ride home from the lake. Stopped to look over my trailer, nothing obvious since. Made it home inspected again, no obvious problems. Took for 2 mile test drive with a half dozen moderate to hard stops, no noises anymore at all.

EZ loader roller trailer with surge brakes (type where the ball mount pivots down, trailer tongue pivots up;

Load 2000lb 18ft Sea ray

Tongue weight is about all I can lift with few goodplaces to lift from, probably 250-300 lbs...

Any ideas?

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Horrible chattering sound when stopping!...

Tire locked up during stop causing it to bounce along pavement.

Bill

crispins

Seaman

theres a problem... you have to find out what the problem is as it will not go AWAY

gixxerjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have decided to leave the boat at home this weekend. I don't think a tire locked up, these brake applications were not at all aggressive. Also, no squeal or telltale sounds of a locked tire, just loud chattering and vibration like running over a rumble strip only a sharper sound.

Like I said before, it did it twice in three easy to moderate brakes apps, hasn't done it since.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would pull the wheels and check the brakes. Ignoring it isn't going to give any peace of mind, maybe you'll forget about it, but that doesn't rectify any potential problem. Once the brakes check out OK, then start looking for other problems.
Just as a thought, are you using a reciever hitch that has the rubber or urethane bushing in it? I had one and it was a total POS.

bustermin

Banned

Do you have drum or disc brakes? What your describing sounds alot like a cracked drum. also, could be a broken spring if you have drum brakes. when you remove the wheel look to see if the shoes/pad are glazed (caused from overheating) this can cause a chatter type effect as well, if they are in fact glazed, get some sand paper and sand the drums/rotor and shoes/pads to remove the glazing.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like anti-lock brakes on the tow vehicle kicking in to me.

TerryMSU

gixxerjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can say for certain it was not the antilock brakes on our van; I have felt those a few times and totally different, thanks though...

I will have to pull the wheels off the trailer and check the drums, never worked on drums before so will be a learning experience...

Also will use this opportunity to move the axle forward to get my tongue weight down to ~200lbs. Crazy heavy right now can barely lift it and it squats my van pretty badly....

BlueDL1000

Cadet

I had this happen on my ezloader trailer. Found excessive play in the wheel bearings. Adjusted wheel bearings and problem went away.

Searay rider

Recruit
Did you ever fix the problem? I have a 2000 SeaRay 185 with an easyloader trailer and have the same problem.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
welcome searay rider.

Quick note to self, don't dig up 5 year old threads - start a new one. You can reference an old thread just don't dig up an old one.

I'll keep an eye out for your new thread.:)

Last edited: