Different tire size on trailer. Safety question?

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1984 Bayliner bass boat on the original trailer. Ever since I have owned this boat, the tires would rub the fenders if I hit a large dip or bump in the road.
Bayliner uses the same trailer for several different boats they made at the time. A bass boat is a little wider than the other boats so the fenders sit just an inch or so under the boat instead of fenders being outboard of the sides of the boat. There is a sticker on each fender that says what tire size for each model of boat. All call for 12 inch tires except for the bass boat in which case it calls for 13 inch tires.
One day last year I was pulling into a parking lot and didn't swing wide enough for the trailer and the right tire dropped into a small culvert, pushed the tire into the fender and the fender pushed up into the bottom of the boat. Luckily, it didn't do much to the boat other than a good size scratch but it did compress the spring and damage the fender. I finally got the springs replaced correctly and all is well in that regard but I replaced the 13 inch tires and wheels with 12 inch tires and wheels from another small trailer that I own.
Anyway, after I got the suspension all dialed in, I went down to the tire store and asked them if I should put the 13 inch tires back on. They did some measurements and the 13 inch tires would be very close to the fenders if I hit a large enough bump in the road so they recommended that I just keep the 12 inch tires on there. The 12 inch tires are rated for the same weight capacity as the 13's.
It really doesn't matter to me but I want to make sure it is safe for long trips. I've had the 12 inch tires on the trailer for about 8 months now without a problem but I'll be moving to Arizona from Oregon and I wonder if the 12 inch tires will handle the heat as well as the larger tires.
Just wondering what your opinions are.

Thanks.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Different tire size on trailer. Safety question?

The 12" tires will be fine if rated the same as the 13" ones. They will turn slightly faster when towing, but no big deal. Plus you will also be a bit lower making launching a little easier at shallow ramps..

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Different tire size on trailer. Safety question?

That's what the guy at the tire store said. As long as the weight rating is within limits, tire size doesn't matter.
It does make the boat sit lower which does make launching a bit easier but I do notice with the smaller tires that the ride is a bit rougher. The smaller tires seem to follow the ruts in the road a bit more and they seem like much firmer tires but all in all, I have no complaints with them. They look a little funny though. They look like toy tires on the trailer. lol.