• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

    Has anyone ever had experience using rustolium in a spray can to paint their trailer? It seems spray would be easier to apply since there are all of the lighting wires to paint around if you roll. Does using the spray can produce horrible results? Thanks for any help from your experiences.
    1997 Four Winns Horizon 180
    1996 150 HP Johnson Ocean Runner

    There should always be something broken or damaged on your boat. If there isn't you are not boating properly.


  • #2
    Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

    I would roll it on as it would be thicker and less likely to chip. Then go around with a spray can and touch up the hidden areas that you couldn't reach.
    The Crestliner Restoration

    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....49#post2218249

    1967 16' Crestliner and 60hp Johnny

    Klamath Trailorboat and 9.9 Johnny

    Comment



    • #3
      Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

      Big brush, roller etc for me.
      sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

      Comment



      • #4
        Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

        I had all the stuff to roll and brush it on, me and my dad thought that was the way to fly.
        Well we got to grinding the rust off it today and came to the realization that the best way to paint it was going to be a spray gun. So we put 50% of 3/4's of a gallon of white Rust~Oleum and 3/4's of a gallon paint thinner and the trailer looks great.
        I dont think spray cans would work as you would need 8 thousand of them.
        Doing it with a brush and small roller (Dad claims the foam brushes and rollers dont leave lines) would work ok but there are alot of nooks and crannies that are a PITA to get at.
        1977 Starcraft American 18' 165 Mercruiser.
        http://s226.photobucket.com/home/win...obra/allalbums

        Comment



        • #5
          Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

          Originally posted by windsors03cobra View Post
          I had all the stuff to roll and brush it on, me and my dad thought that was the way to fly.
          Well we got to grinding the rust off it today and came to the realization that the best way to paint it was going to be a spray gun. So we put 50% of 3/4's of a gallon of white Rust~Oleum and 3/4's of a gallon paint thinner and the trailer looks great.
          I dont think spray cans would work as you would need 8 thousand of them.
          Doing it with a brush and small roller (Dad claims the foam brushes and rollers dont leave lines) would work ok but there are alot of nooks and crannies that are a PITA to get at.
          I agree.....thinned/reduced paint sprayed on is the way to go! It hasnt been that long, but im still happy with the way mine came out.
          Samuel Adams. Always A Good Decision.
          1987 5.0 OMC capri 1950CX bowrider, 3 bow 6 ft. Westland bimini
          sigpic

          Comment



          • #6
            Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

            Im going to be painting my trailer soon. It has some rust spots where the keel pads didn't drain well. I used naval jelly to stop the rust, I deen to use more. Anyone know if the rust oleum will help stop the rust that might be left? I agree spray cans would be costly and I'll be rolling/spraying (Paint sprayer) mine on.
            1997 Larson 226LXi
            5.7EFI
            Bravo III 26p Props

            Comment



            • #7
              Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

              If you remove a bunch of that rust by grinding, sanding, wire wheeling or whatever the Rust~Oleum will do a good job of stopping the rust for a few years, you could also prime the rusty spots after grinding the rust off and before painting the primer will further help prevent the rust from returning.
              Rust~Oleum makes rusty metal primer.
              1977 Starcraft American 18' 165 Mercruiser.
              http://s226.photobucket.com/home/win...obra/allalbums

              Comment



              • #8
                Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

                Originally posted by Lion hunter View Post
                I would roll it on as it would be thicker and less likely to chip. Then go around with a spray can and touch up the hidden areas that you couldn't reach.
                Actually, thickly applied paint will chip easier.

                I am no fan of rollers and brushes EVER. if its a small trailer then spray cans would work, but anything larger needs a spray gun.

                as far as stopping what rust is there, aside from removing it 100%, its still going to be there. coating it with a layer of paint will slow it down.
                '68 Alumacraft FD, '65 Johnson 6HP "The Sea Monkey"

                Comment



                • #9
                  Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

                  Originally posted by AZSenza View Post
                  Im going to be painting my trailer soon. It has some rust spots where the keel pads didn't drain well. I used naval jelly to stop the rust, I deen to use more. Anyone know if the rust oleum will help stop the rust that might be left? I agree spray cans would be costly and I'll be rolling/spraying (Paint sprayer) mine on.
                  Rustoleum's Rusty Metal Primer works very well.
                  1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
                  Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
                  1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
                  Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

                  Comment



                  • #10
                    Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

                    Clean all the loose rust off and brush a rust converter on those spots.
                    Mike
                    Ol' Stonebreaker

                    Comment



                    • #11
                      Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

                      I have done two so far with brushes and rollers and both have turned out great. Yes there are some difficult places to get to but it is possible to do with very good results. I liked the fact that I could do it at home without having to take the boat off the trailer. I used rustoleum satin white and a 4" foam roller for the flat parts and a good china bristle for the corners etc. If it is prepped well and primed well Very good results can be had painting by hand if you take your time and know how to paint. Plus you can work on it as you have the time. Once finished I applied some pinstripe same color as the boat and the trailer looked great.

                      Comment



                      • #12
                        Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

                        Try this, it's GREAT!!! www.kbs-coatings.com
                        It takes care of rust and has a smooth rock hard finish.

                        Comment



                        • #13
                          Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

                          Originally posted by dnifedem85 View Post
                          Has anyone ever had experience using rustolium in a spray can to paint their trailer? It seems spray would be easier to apply since there are all of the lighting wires to paint around if you roll. Does using the spray can produce horrible results? Thanks for any help from your experiences.
                          ive sprayed 2 years in a row but next year i plan to roll or use a brush... depends on the condition of the trailer you might need lots of spray cans to touch up the trailer, i put at least 3 spray coats .... like everyone else said brushing its obviously a thicker coat ... plus you dont have to deal with the wind....

                          dont forget, it makes a big diffrence when you wash the trailer down after every use...
                          decarb: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076
                          WOT timing: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=228183
                          Top Secret Files: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680
                          Parts/Diagrams Johnson/Evinrude: http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index....00b9317448f722
                          FAQ:http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

                          Comment



                          • #14
                            Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

                            I used a roller and a brush with implement paint designed for tractors and other metal objects that stay outside in the elements. The paint goes on smoothly and you usually only need to put on one coat - some areas will need touch up. The brush will get into the tight areas and the roller makes it much easier without brush strokes visible in the paint.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X