Best 1/2 Ton Pickup for Towing?

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Best 1/2 Ton Pickup for Towing?

Always been happy with Chevy's and Fords. I like Fords more personally from deisgn/quality standpoint, but it's just personal preference. The new Dodge Rams are the first Dodge I've seen as acceptible in a LONG time, but I still chose the 08 F150 over them after comparison shopping.

Dodges always have some really bad recalls on them. All cars have recalls but the Dodge recalls on their cars/trucks are things like "you may try to turn around a corner and your wheels won't turn while at speed". I just can't put faith in their engineers just yet until their track record cleans up a bit.

My 08 F150 is rated up to 9700 lbs towing and gets an average of 17.5mpg mixed and 20 on the highway. The 5.4L is only 300HP, but it's more than enough for what the truck is rated for. If it makes you feel any better, next year Ford will have a 6.2L with 400HP out to compete with Chevy and Dodge's larger motors. That's the reason why the 5.4L HP is so low compared to Chevy and Dodge since we're comparing 5.4L to 6L engines.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

**deleted**

Last edited:

willieboy

Seaman

My Dakota would and did handle that load with no problems. I had the little 3.9l V6, 2wd and pulled Dad's 20' Javelin F/S all on pretty steep ramps with no problems (about 3500lb combo, tandem axles trailer with brakes). Our Suburban has no problems up to the 7K tow rating with no issues. Although trailer brakes are a must over 3500lbs (at least for me). The current Tundra ("Japanese", but there are more USA components in this truck than most "American" made vehicles) is a beast. I have only a minor beef with the truck, I do occasionally wish it had a real locker, especially in the mud. However, it has never disappointed me at the boat launch or towing anything. Power is amazing, and ride is great, loaded or empty. Brother has a Ford, and it fine, though I like my Tundra better.

In truth, I will echo the comments above, most any of the "1/2 tons" are going to be more than capable. However, if you area guy that like rowing through the gears, pay attention to tow ratings. Lots of the manual transmissions have very low tow ratings, even on 1/2 ton trucks. I would stay away from Dodge trucks due to the tranny issues, though as stated above I had no problems with mine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That's the reason why the 5.4L HP is so low compared to Chevy and Dodge since we're comparing 5.4L to 6L engines.
Of course the Chevy 6.0L gets close to the same mileage as the Ford 5.4L. It was not until recently though that you could get the 6.0L Chevy in the 1/2T version. Was always in the 3/4T before.

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ever thought about a Toyota V6. More than capable of pulling 2500. The reliability is amazing. I have a 03 (4x4) and love it.

Just my 2 cents worth !!

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

My 08 F150 is rated up to 9700 lbs towing and gets an average of 17.5mpg mixed and 20 on the highway. The 5.4L is only 300HP, but it's more than enough for what the truck is rated for. If it makes you feel any better, next year Ford will have a 6.2L with 400HP out to compete with Chevy and Dodge's larger motors. That's the reason why the 5.4L HP is so low compared to Chevy and Dodge since we're comparing 5.4L to 6L engines.

The Chevy 5.3 is 315 hp.
I like the Fords looks but I got rid of my 04 FX4 because it was not a good truck. I also have towed with a Titan and a GMC. My favorite so far is the GMC.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

I've towed my boat with my brother's 2000 S-10 4.3L manual, it tows great I didn't even know the boat was back there, its rated for 6000 lbs. My trailer axle even broke one time and one of the trailer tires was dragging on its side, didn't even know except the smoke! Only downfall is even though the S-10 is extended cab, I wouldn't want more than 3 people in it!

AquaCruz

Cadet

I have a brand new 09 Silverado and obviously it tows without a wink. However, I also own a 2005 Chevrolet Astro Cargo Van that funny as it is, I use it more than my pickup to tow the boat and jetskis. That 4.3 V6 is a beast and is more economical than the 8's. I would look into an S-10, that should be plenty for what you need.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

NYGiants,
If you haven't already, check out http://www.trailerlife.com and review the towing guides for a vehicle you're looking at.

Also since you're in the market for a new vehicle, check out http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php to check for E-85 compatibility. When/if gas prices skyrocket again, it'll be nice to have an alternative fuel to run on. You will probably find a Flex Fuel truck doesn't cost any more than a gas-only truck.

haulnazz15

Captain

The Chevy 5.3 is 315 hp.
I like the Fords looks but I got rid of my 04 FX4 because it was not a good truck. I also have towed with a Titan and a GMC. My favorite so far is the GMC.

I don't see your point? My point was simply that in the majority of comparisons, they always compare the biggest engine available which makes it look like the 5.4L is inferior, when in reality it is on par with other engines of its size. I just don't like the build quality in the 99+ Chevy's. Lot's of cheap plastic and inferior electronics that like to go out. Like window motors, etc. Nissan would have a good truck if they just beefed up the axles a bit and made the interior a bit nicer in quality.

In any case any 1/2 ton pickup since the 70's would be able to handle a 2500lb boat just fine.

IVAZ

I don't see your point? My point was simply that in the majority of comparisons, they always compare the biggest engine available which makes it look like the 5.4L is inferior, when in reality it is on par with other engines of its size. I just don't like the build quality in the 99+ Chevy's. Lot's of cheap plastic and inferior electronics that like to go out. Like window motors, etc. Nissan would have a good truck if they just beefed up the axles a bit and made the interior a bit nicer in quality.

In any case any 1/2 ton pickup since the 70's would be able to handle a 2500lb boat just fine.

My point was that the 5.3 is smaller and has more HP.
2007 and up GM trucks use better quality materials than the previous generation. The 09 GMC my wife has tows great, is quite and with the six speed automatic gets decent mileage.
The Nissan Titan we traded in hated anything above 6500lbs.The engine would really struggle and sound thrashy. And as you mentioned, the back end would sag more than it should. With no load it would leave my FX4 in the dust when it came to acceleration though. It also has a huge cab (all the trucks I buy are crew cabs so it?s an apples to apples comparison).
My work truck was an 05 F150 and it was also crappy. The Ford interiors are nice but not any higher quality than the new GM trucks.

Manatee

Cadet

As a (rehabbed) car-a-holic, I have owned and towed with Ford, Chevey, Dodge, and Nissan 1/2 ton trucks. (I now own a 1-ton Ford because I pull an RV also.) My favorite 1/2 is easily the Chevy. The two Z-71s I owned were both great tow vehicles for loads under 6000lbs or so. And they rode lake Cadillacs:D

haulnazz15

Captain

My point was that the 5.3 is smaller and has more HP.
2007 and up GM trucks use better quality materials than the previous generation. The 09 GMC my wife has tows great, is quite and with the six speed automatic gets decent mileage.
The Nissan Titan we traded in hated anything above 6500lbs.The engine would really struggle and sound thrashy. And as you mentioned, the back end would sag more than it should. With no load it would leave my FX4 in the dust when it came to acceleration though. It also has a huge cab (all the trucks I buy are crew cabs so it?s an apples to apples comparison).
My work truck was an 05 F150 and it was also crappy. The Ford interiors are nice but not any higher quality than the new GM trucks.

The 5.3L has 5 more HP (the 09 5.4L has 310HP/365tq), but loses in the torque by 30+ft/lbs. The F150 also has the largest crewcab of any 1/2 ton. They are pretty much equals. I always like the old Z71's, but I don't think the 99+ Z71's were anywhere near the caliber of the 90's version. Nissan had a good looking truck, but they just haven't gotten everything to line up. The 5.6L seems to be a good engine platform as well, albeit fuel thirsty. From the way the OP worded his post, I don't think he's looking at anything new anyhow, probably something from the early 00's if at all.

IVAZ

haulnazz,
I think I definitely went off on an unnecessary tangent. The op is looking at used.

MudSkunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my experience with ford and dodge trucks consists of towing and driving a ford or dodge is a constant fight with the steering as there is so much play i nthe steering your constantly cycling the steering wheel left and right to keep the vehicle going straight. i have driven various year models from 1980's up to 2007's and all of em are more a struggle with the constant steering than a nice pleasent drive.

chevy trucks which are my favorite are easy to drive and there is no play inthe steering unlike the other big 2. but whichever you get i highly recomend some sort of 4wd taht you dont have to get out and lock hubs.

i have a 2003 silverado 4wd

This_lil_fishy

Ford decided not to ask for a fist full of my tax dollars....nuff said.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

As noted the Chevy has more HP than the Ford but develops it at a higher RPM where you never tow at. It's the torque that turns the wheels and that is what is needed for towing.

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

check again...

http://www.uaw.org/uawmade/cartruck2007.cfm

Chevrolet Silverado *
Dodge Ram *
Ford F-Series *
GMC Sierra *

"However, those vehicles marked with an asterisk (*) are sourced from the United States and/or Canada AND a third country. "

This is from the UAW union. ANY vehicles with the * indicate that final assembly was done in a country other than US or Canada for at least some of the models. It is fairly common that US manufacturers make the same vehicles at multiple different factories around the world.

Hmm.. Ive found a bit more detail. My list is a few years old and shows where individual components are made (ie engines, trans, axles etc)

Here is another source.

Doing a bit of search Im finding a lot of conflicting information. GM's website is about as clear as mud.

Check this list out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_factories

My 02 Silverado was built in Indiana according to the VIN and build plate.

td8

Cadet

If you want a Sunday truck then buy a Chevy.But if you want a work truck that will take abuse and keep going then buy a Ford.

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you want a Sunday truck then buy a Chevy.But if you want a work truck that will take abuse and keep going then buy a Ford.

HA, my 02 has 200k. Orig engine belt, trans fluid, brakes (front and rear) Has never failed me, rides and drives like new. Ive towed with it from day one, use it as a work truck, an office and I still bust any rice burner on the road.

This truck has paid for itself twice over.