towing with a honda civic?

Ficht Guy

Seaman
Re: towing with a honda civic?

Hi, I'm purchasing a 1987 Cobia 18' , guessing around 2000 lbs, and I want to tow it with my 2005 Honda Civic. Would I be alright doing this? I believe that I can only install a class I hitch. Please let me know if I'm making a bad choice.. Thanks guys!

Here's some pics of it

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffryw/1987CobiaPict#5334195974754532546

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you serious? That would be an EXTREMELY bad choice and EXTREMELY unsafe no matter how short of distance you would be towing. I had a Honda Accord back in the day and I towed my Dad's 14ft Lund row boat with it once and that little 14 ft pushed the Accord around. I can only imagine what an 18ft would do to a civic even if the 18ft had it's own trailer brakes. Please, for the safety of you and everyone else on the road...do not do this.

Ficht Guy

Seaman

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you serious? That would be an EXTREMELY bad choice and EXTREMELY unsafe no matter how short of distance you would be towing. I had a Honda Accord back in the day and I towed my Dad's 14ft Lund row boat with it once and that little 14 ft pushed the Accord around. I can only imagine what an 18ft would do to a civic even if the 18ft had it's own trailer brakes. Please, for the safety of you and everyone else on the road...do not do this.

I also just noticed that you live within 10 miles of me and we probably boat at the same places. With all due respect, I hope I see you at the ramp with a safer tow vehicle :)

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DO NOT DO IT !!!

The Civic was not designed or built for towing (I believe it says exactly that in the handbook). You would need at least a Class 3 hitch. For the sake of others on the road please reconsider your options

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

this cant be for real. A minivan barely meets the mark, how could a civic ever come close? better yet, use the boat to tow the civic, that might work better lol.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

**deleted**

Last edited:

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

this cant be for real. A minivan barely meets the mark, how could a civic ever come close? better yet, use the boat to tow the civic, that might work better lol.

Yea, I think that is athe better and safer option.

doug glass

Seaman Apprentice

holy car crashes batman--somebody wake up granny she dont' want to miss this wreck--should this be in stupid human tricks???????????

btaylor507

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply. I def wont tow this with it then. I might just try to find a cheap slip somewhere and tow it with my friends truck. I'm new to boating and figured this would be the best place to ask. Thank you again.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I towed a much lighter boat than that with my 2000 Buick Regal which is, of course, a much more substantial car and it didn't go real well. I ended up buying a truck. I was never a "truck guy" but now that I have one (full size chevy, regular cab, long bed) I can't imagine not having one. We've found so many other uses for it.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I am glad that you made the right decision! My uncle use to tow a pop-up camper behind his civic. USED TO - after the first trip he had no brakes left. Pads gone, roptors warped and he said the camper pushed him all over the road. Now he has an F-150 to do his towing with.

A small pickup would be a good option for that boat.

Good luck and be safe!

btaylor507

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah my initial image of me towing that with the civic is the car being pulled into the water by the boat or not even making it back up the ramp with the tires spinning and thanks to you guys here on Iboats I'm taking the safe road. I do have one question though. What's the avg cost for a slip for a summer. I plan on making some calls tomorrow but just kinda curious.

Thanks again!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We'd need to know where you are and what body of water we're talking about. I imagine slip prices vary WIDELY especially now as there are many areas that are still in demand and have waiting lists while others are struggling to maintain capacity.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

yeah my initial image of me towing that with the civic is the car being pulled into the water by the boat or not even making it back up the ramp with the tires spinning and thanks to you guys here on Iboats I'm taking the safe road. I do have one question though. What's the avg cost for a slip for a summer. I plan on making some calls tomorrow but just kinda curious.

Thanks again!

you might be able to find a used adequate SUV for about the same amount that would give you more flexibility over renting a slip. i think slips that size usually go for around $1000-1500 for 6 months, but im not sure on that one. i would think a slip would cause more upkeep to the hull, and youre locked in to only that one spot on the lake, or only that lake period. just my $.02

haulnazz15

Captain

I bet it'd be cheaper for you to just buy an old beater truck and use it to tow with than to buy a slip. Even if it's as low as a 1K/yr for a slip, you better have a lift or the bottom of your boat will be covered in crap. You can find lots of good solid trucks for 2500-4K that will do everything you need it to and more. Leave it parked when you don't need it and just keep seasonal or limited use insurance on it. Probably cost you less than 250/yr to insure it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I passed a newer model Civic towing a jet ski the other day...looked like the back end of the car was about 3 inches off the ground..
It had me thinking why would they even make a hitch for a Civic!
That car was struggling with the jet ski.
I could not imagine a boat behind it..

The old beater truck or an older SUV would be the way to go..

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I passed a newer model Civic towing a jet ski the other day...looked like the back end of the car was about 3 inches off the ground..
It had me thinking why would they even make a hitch for a Civic!
That car was struggling with the jet ski.
I could not imagine a boat behind it..

The old beater truck or an older SUV would be the way to go..
They make hitches for many small cars so you can mount a bike carrier on them.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Everyone else has slapped you around for the Civic. I'm going to get you on the weight of the boat.;)

You are underestimating how much it weighs.
It may be around 2000lbs for just the boat, without the trailer, gas, coolers, etc...

Let's add 180lbs for 30 gallon of gas, 800lbs for the trailer, 40lbs for the battery, 50lbs for the cooler with ice and another 100lbs for assorted gear.
It all adds up quick.

The total weight that you will be towing is probably 3000-3500lbs, probably closer to the 3500. Your best bet is to get it weighed so you know for sure.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

my 19' open bow capri with 3/4 tank of fuel and on the trailer, weighs 3350 lbs. just for a reference point. Thats from a certified scale.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Dude, seriously.... You want to what???? tow with a Civic. I have to give it to you. I have a 18ft boat not unlike yours and I have to use a Dodge truck to tow it and sometimes going up hill or one of the high bridge is already a strain on the truck but on a CIVIC. That is asking for trouble. Sell your civic and get a pickup truck, any model and brand but NOT a CAR!!!!