• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

towing with a honda civic?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • towing with a honda civic?

    Hi, I'm purchasing a 1987 Cobia 18' , guessing around 2000 lbs, and I want to tow it with my 2005 Honda Civic. Would I be alright doing this? I believe that I can only install a class I hitch. Please let me know if I'm making a bad choice.. Thanks guys!


    Here's some pics of it

    http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffryw/...95974754532546
    “Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat.”

    14' 1960 Empire w/ 40Hp Big Twin
    19.5 1989 Regal Sebring w/ 165 Merc


  • #2
    Re: towing with a honda civic?

    Originally posted by btaylor507 View Post
    Hi, I'm purchasing a 1987 Cobia 18' , guessing around 2000 lbs, and I want to tow it with my 2005 Honda Civic. Would I be alright doing this? I believe that I can only install a class I hitch. Please let me know if I'm making a bad choice.. Thanks guys!


    Here's some pics of it

    http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffryw/...95974754532546
    Don't take this the wrong way, but are you serious? That would be an EXTREMELY bad choice and EXTREMELY unsafe no matter how short of distance you would be towing. I had a Honda Accord back in the day and I towed my Dad's 14ft Lund row boat with it once and that little 14 ft pushed the Accord around. I can only imagine what an 18ft would do to a civic even if the 18ft had it's own trailer brakes. Please, for the safety of you and everyone else on the road...do not do this.

    Comment



    • #3
      Re: towing with a honda civic?

      Originally posted by Ficht Guy View Post
      Don't take this the wrong way, but are you serious? That would be an EXTREMELY bad choice and EXTREMELY unsafe no matter how short of distance you would be towing. I had a Honda Accord back in the day and I towed my Dad's 14ft Lund row boat with it once and that little 14 ft pushed the Accord around. I can only imagine what an 18ft would do to a civic even if the 18ft had it's own trailer brakes. Please, for the safety of you and everyone else on the road...do not do this.
      I also just noticed that you live within 10 miles of me and we probably boat at the same places. With all due respect, I hope I see you at the ramp with a safer tow vehicle

      Comment



      • #4
        Re: towing with a honda civic?

        DO NOT DO IT !!!

        The Civic was not designed or built for towing (I believe it says exactly that in the handbook). You would need at least a Class 3 hitch. For the sake of others on the road please reconsider your options

        Comment



        • #5
          Re: towing with a honda civic?

          this cant be for real. A minivan barely meets the mark, how could a civic ever come close? better yet, use the boat to tow the civic, that might work better lol.
          Samuel Adams. Always A Good Decision.
          1987 5.0 OMC capri 1950CX bowrider, 3 bow 6 ft. Westland bimini
          sigpic

          Comment



          • #6
            Re: towing with a honda civic?

            **deleted**
            Last edited by smokingcrater; July 12th, 2009, 02:57 PM.

            Comment



            • #7
              Re: towing with a honda civic?

              Originally posted by redone4x4 View Post
              this cant be for real. A minivan barely meets the mark, how could a civic ever come close? better yet, use the boat to tow the civic, that might work better lol.
              Yea, I think that is athe better and safer option.

              Comment



              • #8
                Re: towing with a honda civic?

                holy car crashes batman--somebody wake up granny she dont' want to miss this wreck--should this be in stupid human tricks???????????

                Comment



                • #9
                  Re: towing with a honda civic?

                  Hey thanks for taking the time to reply. I def wont tow this with it then. I might just try to find a cheap slip somewhere and tow it with my friends truck. I'm new to boating and figured this would be the best place to ask. Thank you again.
                  “Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat.”

                  14' 1960 Empire w/ 40Hp Big Twin
                  19.5 1989 Regal Sebring w/ 165 Merc

                  Comment



                  • #10
                    Re: towing with a honda civic?

                    I towed a much lighter boat than that with my 2000 Buick Regal which is, of course, a much more substantial car and it didn't go real well. I ended up buying a truck. I was never a "truck guy" but now that I have one (full size chevy, regular cab, long bed) I can't imagine not having one. We've found so many other uses for it.
                    1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
                    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
                    1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
                    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

                    Comment



                    • #11
                      Re: towing with a honda civic?

                      I am glad that you made the right decision! My uncle use to tow a pop-up camper behind his civic. USED TO - after the first trip he had no brakes left. Pads gone, roptors warped and he said the camper pushed him all over the road. Now he has an F-150 to do his towing with.

                      A small pickup would be a good option for that boat.

                      Good luck and be safe!
                      Brandon & Christina

                      sigpic
                      "Nauti Fun"
                      1987 Wellcraft 200 Classic with a 5.0 V8 Mercruiser with an Alpha 1 outdrive.

                      New boat:
                      1985 Sea Ray 300DB Sedan Bridge with twin rebuilt 350 GM engines and vdrives.
                      Refit/Upgrade thread here.


                      Fail to plan = Plan to fail

                      Comment



                      • #12
                        Re: towing with a honda civic?

                        yeah my initial image of me towing that with the civic is the car being pulled into the water by the boat or not even making it back up the ramp with the tires spinning and thanks to you guys here on Iboats I'm taking the safe road. I do have one question though. What's the avg cost for a slip for a summer. I plan on making some calls tomorrow but just kinda curious.


                        Thanks again!
                        “Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat.”

                        14' 1960 Empire w/ 40Hp Big Twin
                        19.5 1989 Regal Sebring w/ 165 Merc

                        Comment



                        • #13
                          Re: towing with a honda civic?

                          We'd need to know where you are and what body of water we're talking about. I imagine slip prices vary WIDELY especially now as there are many areas that are still in demand and have waiting lists while others are struggling to maintain capacity.
                          1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
                          Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
                          1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
                          Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

                          Comment



                          • #14
                            Re: towing with a honda civic?

                            Originally posted by btaylor507 View Post
                            yeah my initial image of me towing that with the civic is the car being pulled into the water by the boat or not even making it back up the ramp with the tires spinning and thanks to you guys here on Iboats I'm taking the safe road. I do have one question though. What's the avg cost for a slip for a summer. I plan on making some calls tomorrow but just kinda curious.


                            Thanks again!
                            you might be able to find a used adequate SUV for about the same amount that would give you more flexibility over renting a slip. i think slips that size usually go for around $1000-1500 for 6 months, but im not sure on that one. i would think a slip would cause more upkeep to the hull, and youre locked in to only that one spot on the lake, or only that lake period. just my $.02
                            Samuel Adams. Always A Good Decision.
                            1987 5.0 OMC capri 1950CX bowrider, 3 bow 6 ft. Westland bimini
                            sigpic

                            Comment



                            • #15
                              Re: towing with a honda civic?

                              I bet it'd be cheaper for you to just buy an old beater truck and use it to tow with than to buy a slip. Even if it's as low as a 1K/yr for a slip, you better have a lift or the bottom of your boat will be covered in crap. You can find lots of good solid trucks for 2500-4K that will do everything you need it to and more. Leave it parked when you don't need it and just keep seasonal or limited use insurance on it. Probably cost you less than 250/yr to insure it.
                              1976 Mark Twain 200VBR w/Mercruiser 233 (Ford 351w) "Heart & Soul"

                              Comment


                              Working...
                              X