Trailer Vin # Location..?

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer
Greetings all,
I have an 85' Mastercraft boat & trailer that I just purchased and I have to locate the VIN # on the trailer. It has been repainted (a few times) and I can't find the number. I know that DMV will need to check the VIN against the title before they put it in my name.

Would it be stamped onto the metal trailer tounge, or was it on a sticker? Where, or what side on the trailer tounge should I start scraping to find it? I've got no clue....! Thanks,

~FB~

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trailer Vin # Location..?

mine has a metal plate on the left side of the tongue of the trailer with all the info on it. It has been painted over on mine as well, but I can still read it.

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks so much for replying and giving me a heads up' as to the location.. I think my trailer jack is right over the plate. That's probably why I can't seem to find it...

I also just found forum on another site that talked about possible VIN locations and they talked about another location is the passenger side, back of wheel, inside the crossmember tube, that the number is in as well. That might be on the newer models, as my cross-mem's have an angle iron shape to the cross members. Anyhow, I'll move the wheel this afternoon and see.

Thanks again,

~FB~

snapshotmd

Seaman

I also just found forum on another site that talked about possible VIN locations and they talked about another location is the passenger side, back of wheel, inside the crossmember tube, that the number is in as well. That might be on the newer models, as my cross-mem's have an angle iron shape to the cross members. Anyhow, I'll move the wheel this afternoon and see.

Thanks again,

~FB~

That sounds ridiculous! Inside the crossmember tube!?!?!? That would be a real PITA to look at. The trailer would have to be taken apart.

Mine was on a sticker which was on the tongue until it got worn away. I had to go to MVA and have a new VIN assigned and plate printed.

scipper77

Commander

Mine is also on a sticker on the front inside of the port side frame rail. When I got my boat I got a registration for some other random trailer. It was a real PITA getting the trailer registration cleared up.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

The decals on both my EZ Loader and Magic Tilt have weathered to the point that no info is available. However, both are located on the port side of the trailer near the tongue...