Help, my trailer popped right off my reciever ball!!

Stunna980

Cadet
Alright people I need some help here. I have a 18.5 ft Bayliner and the trailer has the breaking system on it. So I get home with the boat and starting backing it up to my garage. I am reversing a little too fast and the wheels on the trailer both hit the curb and lock the breaks up and my boat pops right off the ball! I had it fully latched and a lock pin through there, so I know it was fully on there when I started pulling it. I didn't think that could ever happen! I guess with all the force that was the week spot, checked everthing out and it all looks fine. Tounge is all in good shape and everything. There is a break release lever on there I didn't know about, just for that situation. Has anyone ever heard of this happening, spooked me pretty good. Is this just one of those things where it was the perfect storm, I just don't want to see that happen again. So as long as I do the brake lock out I shouldn't have to worry about this again right? Any help would be much appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help, my trailer popped right off my reciever ball!!

Actually, that happens often when you put a 2" socket on a 1-7/8" ball.

Chances are very good that you have the 1-7/8" ball on your vehicle and a 2" socket on the trailer tongue.

Stunna980

Cadet

See I thought about that too, I checked my ball and it has 2" right on there. I'm thinking there was just SO much force that it popped out. Can't figure out how that would happen.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is your ball old and worn? Replace it if it is. Also, the latching mechanism on most couplers is adjustable so you might try tightening it. Tighten until it is difficult to latch, then back off a bit.

Splat

Lieutenant

No..... That isn't something that just happens. Either your ball is wrong, ball is worn, or the coupler on the trailer tongue is broken/out of adjustment.

Bill

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Most trailers have an adjustment nut under the tongue coupler, and i've seen too many trailers that are in desperate need of adjustment.

It might SEEM like it is tight, but check the nut under the coupler, it probably isn't.

haulnazz15

Captain

Make sure the coupler is a 2" as well. It could have been a 2-5/16" coupler, but it would be really odd to have that size coupler on a 20ft or less boat trailer. Make sure the coupler is the correct size (it may be stamped somewhere on it) and make sure when it is latched that there is no up/down movement. you can check this by latching the trailer on, then using the trailer jack (if equipped) to left the trailer nose up and see if it pops off. Make sure you are on flat ground with the trailer wheels chocked when you do this.

Stunna980

Cadet

Alright I took a pic of where the ball and coupler are meeting up. Its under the half way mark on the ball so looks good to me, if wrong let me know.

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00074.jpg

First pic is the one it came off of. 2nd pic is my other receiver with ball. I checked everything out, balls are 2" and coupler says right on it 2" ball. I tightened up the coupler nut and I'm not sure how much to tighten though. I did about 3-4 turns and I can still latch it SORTA easy. Do you want that tight so there is not much play in how easy the ball moves? Or do I want it as tight as I can get it with still some play in the ball, because I took a receiver that is not on the rig and put it on there to try an see what is up. Just need a guide on how tight you want that coupler nut. Also loosed the coupler nut and it still was lining up with where it was before on the ball.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I will answer you question by relating a story involving my son-in-law. My wife and I and my two daughters and their families gathered in a parking lot of a strip mall for our annual journey to our vacation spot. I asked one son-in-law if he was ready to hit the road and he said "yup". I then asked if he was "sure" he was ready. Again, the answer was "yes" but he knew I saw something that wasn't right. My reply was that we were going nowhere until he checked his hitch. Well, he looked at everything except the coupler. The coupler was merely sitting on the ball, the yoke was latched and locked. However, the yoke was not under the ball so only the tongue weight was holding this rig to the tow vehicle. He had already traveled about 6 miles at that point. When he couldn't find anything wrong I walked over, lifted the tongue off the hitch and said "for gosh sakes pay attention when you couple up". In your case, you thought the coupler fully dropped down on the ball and it really didn't. You cannot convince me that it was because the yoke would have to be so loose it would likely fall off the bolt before you could pop a closed 2 inch coupler off a 2 inch ball. A coupler adjusting nut that is too tight make dropping the coupler onto the ball difficult which leads to incidents like this one. A slightly loose yoke will not allow the coupler to pop off the ball. To create enough wear on the ball or coupler would take a machine shop. Road travel will never wear one out.

fishinhardwater

Seaman Apprentice

pintle hook and electric brakes, it will never happen again :D

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a safety pin on the coupler? I've seen many people without them, even saw a guy have the trailer pull off on the ramp as he was pulling the boat out. It got very ugly for a few minutes. I use a safety pin, as my hitch has a pin that goes under the coupler, and then a lock on the coupler lever to ensure that my trailer is going nowhere that I don't want it too. I also give a good hard lift on the tongue before pulling out to make sure that it is secure (I can just barely lift the tongue of my trailer, certainly not hold it up). Just habit, after a buddy at work assured me the work trailer was secure (he forgot the drawbar pin) and the trailer fell off about two blocks down the road, I am extra careful and don't allow anyone to do any part of the trailer connection for me.

Ian

Provo5

Seaman

Lock the coupler on the ball and use your trailer jack to test it. If it pops off you need to adjust the coupler.

reelfishin

Captain

Chances are it was just not latched on right. I've towed thousands of miles and have even had two trailers hit pretty hard while in tow and never had one uncouple. I tighten the coupler adjustment nut down to the point where its tight with no noticeable play but not so tight it binds. If heading out on a long trip, I also lube the ball pretty well to prevent wear.
I have several drawbars that have been in use for decades, I'd venture to guess a few have several hundred thousand miles on them, and none show any noticeable wear other than some chrome loss.

The coupler will wear first, but it's more likely to be bent or rusted than worn out. I have seen a few trailer couplers crack or spread, but they were on old, well worn utility trailers which were well abused and badly rusted.

If the 2" coupler is adjusted properly, it will even stay latched on a 1 7/8" ball even against the force of a jack. Not that I'd tow that way, but I did try it one time to see what would happen and I was not able to force the coupler off of the ball by jacking the trailer and even hanging the weight of the truck from the coupler.

If the coupler is adjusted correctly, the ball or ball socket are not damaged, I'd venture to guess it was just not latched down correctly or not on the ball as described above.

I always pin or lock my couplers down on the ball, not just to be sure it stays attached, but it prevents jokers from unlatching it when your parked.
I also drill and cotter pin or spring pin the adjustment shaft on all of my couplers, without it, a lock is about useless. Anything to prevent a socket from easily getting on the nut and backing it off.

nlain

Commander

I usually have the truck just a little forward when hooking up, that way the hitch actually moves slightly forward when it drops on the ball and the ball is pulled forward into the hitch when I latch. I have had the hitch not go all the way down if the ball was too far back, doesn't take much, the latch part in back will not slide down below the ball, I usually reach under and check to be sure it has dropped properly. As long as I have the ball slightly forward I have never had a problem with the latch not dropping properly.

Stunna980

Cadet

Right on thanx fellas! Last night I hooked it up to the rig, and latched it all up. Then I cranked up the wheel jack and it lifted my truck up as far as I could get it. Even jumped on the back bumper a little bit and it didn't come off. I tightened the coupler a little bit, didn't make much of a difference. So as long as it didn't pop off when I raised it, it should be ok right?

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

The hitch on my trailer is pretty screwed up. When I bought my current boat a couple of years ago the seller told me it had an inch and 7/8 hitch. When I got it home and really started looking at it I noticed that it was a 2 inch hitch. What I think happened is that when the hitch was put on the trailer they over tightened it and collapsed the the square tube of the trailer and bent the hitch in a little bit. Instead of doing it right they just tightened the clamp to let them use an 1 and 7/8 ball. It isn't the easiest thing to hook up The clamp part is kind of stiff due to the whole hitch being deformed and I have to work it down with my fingers otherwise it will end up just sitting on top of the ball. One of these days ( years?) I'm going to have to take it to the welder and have him cut of the bad section of trailer and weld on a new section and put on a new hitch.

mark_gober

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your son-in-law must really hate you.

I will answer you question by relating a story involving my son-in-law. My wife and I and my two daughters and their families gathered in a parking lot of a strip mall for our annual journey to our vacation spot. I asked one son-in-law if he was ready to hit the road and he said "yup". I then asked if he was "sure" he was ready. Again, the answer was "yes" but he knew I saw something that wasn't right. My reply was that we were going nowhere until he checked his hitch. Well, he looked at everything except the coupler. The coupler was merely sitting on the ball, the yoke was latched and locked. However, the yoke was not under the ball so only the tongue weight was holding this rig to the tow vehicle. He had already traveled about 6 miles at that point. When he couldn't find anything wrong I walked over, lifted the tongue off the hitch and said "for gosh sakes pay attention when you couple up". In your case, you thought the coupler fully dropped down on the ball and it really didn't. You cannot convince me that it was because the yoke would have to be so loose it would likely fall off the bolt before you could pop a closed 2 inch coupler off a 2 inch ball. A coupler adjusting nut that is too tight make dropping the coupler onto the ball difficult which leads to incidents like this one. A slightly loose yoke will not allow the coupler to pop off the ball. To create enough wear on the ball or coupler would take a machine shop. Road travel will never wear one out.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Perhaps it's the view?
But the clamping piece that gets pulled into position by the (visible) nut looks worn,,, maybe heavilly?
On mine (and others I've had) that part is much further under the ball when clamped. Actually almost to the shank.
The photo looks as though it's barely under the ball, and tight just to the side of the ball.
The hole in the latch I would guess by looking at the picture may be worn. That would allow it to be adjusted to feel tight,,, but barely clamping under the ball to get a good capture.
Also, (may just be the fuzzy picture) but it looks as though there are heavy gall / wear marks on the trailer side of the ball, but only maybe 1/4" wide.
Could someone else have had a problem before you and replaced the latch with the wrong part (ball sized part)?

Then again,,, maybe it's just the fuzzy photo looking that way? But it don't look right to me.

PS;
More I look at the pic,,, the more it doesn't even look "locked" :confused:
Maybe camera angle, but ball looks low and back from front of coupler. :confused:
Doesn't even look like it's in the pocket from the photo (to me).

haulnazz15

Captain

^ I kind of thought the same thing. My coupler sits much lower on the ball, so that you'd be lucky to get a picture of the ball at all, just the bottom of the shank. I think I have about 1/4" between the coupler bottom edge and the top of my receiver when they're on correctly.