transom saver swivl-eze or panther

joe09

Cadet
this site has two transom savers,swivl-eze 30 to 60", and the panther 28 to 59".the swivl-eze is more money,does anybody which is the better unit.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: transom saver swivl-eze or panther

I had bad luck with the swivl-eze , i replaced it with the springfield unit...no complaints, seems like it is a better construction than the swivl-eze also. iboats

TC

joe09

Cadet

thanks for the reply,i was looking for the longer unit,the trailer frame is under the boat.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Just went throgh this this week. ( See recent thread.) Worth noteing is the mounting system differences ( unless your using the roller type.) The Swivel-eze requires you to get down low/at the crossmember and pin/unpin the unit at each launch/haul. ( Read: PITA) The Panther can be installed/ removed with a simple twist from a standing position. That said, you have to pick one that fits for your application. To measure, you should raise your motor so the skeg is 12" or so off the ground ( while trailer is on the tow vehicle.) Then measure from the bottem edge of the cross member to the leg just under the cavitation plate. This will give you the length you need AND tell you if you need the offset design or if a straight unit will work.

In my case, even though the crossmember was 8" under the boat, a straight shot to the leg fit better. So while I didn't need the offset model, I still wanted the (much more convenient) mounting system of the Panther. I also discovered I needed only 22" so both units sold here were a bit too long for my purpose.
Ended up ordering a VE-VE brand TS-81. twist mount, 21-31" length, straight shaft, zink plated, made in the USA. VE-VE claims it is the originator of the Panther design. Unfortunatly, iboats didn't carry the TS-81 I needed so I had to go right to the company. ( Free shipping, BTW.)
hth