Tubes in small trailer tires ?

Moody Blue

Captain
Have not seen this subject discussed before.

What is the advantage, if any, of installing an inner tube in a small sized tire? I have 5.7x8 load range "C" tires.

Have not seen a tube used in auto tires for a looooong time but happened across them in the store today for the small tires and got me curious.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Tubes in small trailer tires ?

If you have a real old trailer,the rims may not have the sealing capabilities required for tubeless tires.This is often glossed over by using a lot of goop while the tire is installed and it helps for a while.
Another reason would be the problem with slow leaks that are hard to pin point.Just throw an inner tube in there and your problem is solved.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I just put (had tubes) put in all my small tires that size (6 in fact) because I couldn't get them to seal and I got tired having to air them up every time I wanted to tow them. That was last year and they still are holding air. I will check my utility trailer before I put it out on the highway. $6 for each tube and $18 to have all the tubes put in them at our local garage.

Moody Blue

Captain

So the only purpose really is to prevent air leaks? I thought maybe something more technical :rolleyes:

cbavier

Lieutenant

yep when the rims won't seal the air in it's either tubes or replace. Tubes are cheaper than tires and wheels.

Jeep Man

Commander

I've had six tires on my small utility trailer. Not ONE held air consistently. Picking up tubes tomorrow.

reelfishin

Captain

Most of the small tires that I find that won't hold air or constantly go flat and pop off the rim are mounted on rims not really meant for tubeless tires. If the rim doesn't have a lip for the tire to seat onto, chances are you will have air loss issues and all sorts of problems inflating the tire.

Tubes are fine so long as the inside of the tire and rim are smooth and don't chafe the tube. If the rim is that rusty, toss it for a new one. I like to install tubes with some talc so the tube can move around as the tire is inflated and not get pinched.

The one drawback to an inner tube vs. a tubeless tire is that a puncture in an tube type tire will always result in an immediate flat, while a puncture in a tubeless tire may only cause a slow leak, and a tubeless tire can be plugged on the road side if need be.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Mine didn't pop off the rim. They just kept going flat after a few weeks. After fighting it for six years I finally decided to do something about it. I guess I am a slow learner or cheap....well maybe both. ;)
My original thought was to put them in myself. But after trying to do one for 30 min. I gave up and gave our local garage guy $18 to do them all. Of course I had to take them off the trailers.

reelfishin

Captain

Mine didn't pop off the rim. They just kept going flat after a few weeks. After fighting it for six years I finally decided to do something about it. I guess I am a slow learner or cheap....well maybe both. ;)
My original thought was to put them in myself. But after trying to do one for 30 min. I gave up and gave our local garage guy $18 to do them all. Of course I had to take them off the trailers.

I've actually got a tire machine in the garage made just for small tires but I find that using a huge vise and a 12" piece of 2x3 board works much better along with a long flat motorcycle tire iron.

I've done so many over the years, I've pretty much got it down by now.
It took me about 40 minutes to change all 4 8" tires on a tandem axle trailer the other day, including pulling the wheels and jacking the trailer.

Its when you have rusty rims that it takes time, but I normally just toss any rims that are pitted or rusty around the bead area. I try to stick with only galvanized rims here.