Restoring a 1955-56 Gator Trailer

zboot69

Cadet
I picked up an almost complete 1955 or 56 gator trailer (not sure yet on the year) and from what ive gathered its really only missing the original tires and hubcaps. i managed to find a number stamped into the right front part of the trailer that reads 416 506 that im guessing is the serial number. the trailer still had the origanal yellow paint job but was in pretty rought shape... does anyone know what modern color paints would best match this yellow? I used a rustoleam heavy rusted metal primer on it after getting the lose paint and rust off of it but winter hit fast before i could throw a coat of paint on it. The primer seems to be holding up pretty good and made it through the winter ok. the trailer still had the origanal decal on the right back end of it so i might be able to get a local sign company to reproduce a new decal for me. Id also love to find some matching tires and hubcaps for it if at possible.

If anyone has restored one of these classic trailers and might have some tips or inforamation that would be useful it be apreciated. Also below is a few pictures if anyone could name the year of the trailer.

Attachments

• feathercraft1.jpg
    feathercraft1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
  • feathercraft.jpg
    feathercraft.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • feathercraft2.jpg
    feathercraft2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
  • feathercraft3.jpg
    feathercraft3.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: Restoring a 1955-56 Gator Trailer

I think the guys on another site that deals with gator and tee nee trailers use industrial yellow.
(the stripes and post in buildings).if you can get a good picture of the decal on the back,take it to a vynal sign shop
they mite be able to clean it up and make you a replacement

woosterken

YJSRGREAT

Recruit

Does anyone know how to tell the year of a Gator Trailer from this vintage (1955-56). I have a very similar trailer but don't know how to tell what year. I think I have a Model 216 based on a number I found. Information about these early Gotors seems hard to come by. Thanks.

cajacaja

Recruit

I have a Gator 417 1958 and a parts catalouge from Gator including all models on sale 1958

dfaught

Recruit

I have a trailer just like yours and it was bought with a 1954 Carter Craft Boat.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really like those old antique trailers I would prefer the restored old verses a newer even if it was more $.

UNjim

Cadet

I have a 50's Gator trailer and someone said that there was something different about the bearings in the older Gators. Does anyone have any idea what that might be? Thanks

hpeeler

Seaman Apprentice

Wow! I had no idea these trailers were that old. My son and I dug one out of the weeds at my father in laws house last year to put a 15.5' Gheenoe on for him to use duck hunting. I had to cut the tongue off and add a longer one to accommodate his boat. The trailer was painted black and I wondered where the yellow came from when we were sanding it to re-paint. I hope I didn't butcher a valuable antique, haha. Thanks for the links to the stickers.

lastcast13

Recruit
found '55-'56 gator

found '55-'56 gator

found old Gator. very rusty, complete except for rear bunks and hubcaps. doesn't have double hitch assembly. how does middle roller and handle work? up to load boat and then lower into front cradle bunks? what's it worth? hate to modernize it if somebody needs it for a restored combo-boat/trailer. i just need trailer for 14' aluminum fishing boat (old Texas Maid), but she's a fishing girl, not a show girl, and really doesn't need an antique "carriage"! thanks and tight lines and bent poles