Sway control bars

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey, can anyone tell me anything on how sway control bars work and what kind I need for a dual axle trailer with surge brakes. The boat weighs in at about 4400 lbs empty plus the trailer. I really haven't experienced much sway but on a few occasions during a 170 mile trip I did and it was a little scary. I would like to invest in something to help reduce or eliminate it altogether. Any advise is greatly appreciative.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Sway control bars

I have never seen sway control 'bars' for a trailer but there are plenty of sway control devises available and they all involve some sort of friction control.

Don't know what is available in your neck of the woods but the most common one used downunder is made by HaymanReece, it is an adjustable friction plate that connects between the towbar and drawbar.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Balancing the trailer to put 10/ 15% into the ball will do Way more than any add-ons for fighting Sway...

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,...

Balancing the trailer to put 10/ 15% into the ball will do Way more than any add-ons for fighting Sway...

Do you mean a weight distribution system? How exactly do I balance it. I haven't weighed the tongue yet but plan on doing so the next time I am home.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what is your tow vehicle, we are only working with 1/2 the info needed.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry 2003 Chevy Suburban.

WellcraftEliteXL222Restoration217.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You add tongue weight by moving the boat forward on the trailer or by moving the axles rearward. If the tongue weight is close to spec, then when you travel simply put the heavy stuff you take along in the front of the boat. Making sure the tow vehicle and trailer tires are aired up also helps control sway. Trailer tires should always be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Your tow vehicle should have a label on the edge of the door indicating light and heavy load tire pressures.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i tow the same weight, with a 99 surburban, not problems, i also have a much longer tongue. it think you are tongue heavy.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I am also. The trailer doesn't seem long enough for the boat it seems. I will eventually get a galvinized or aluminum trailer more suitable for my needs but until then that is why I was asking what I can do to make things more comfortable now.