Is Ford Ranger a good Tow vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is Ford Ranger a good Tow vehicle?

Reel, it sound like you got a lemon SOHC motor from the start. If you google it up the sohc is rated among many engines that have a good service record. The 4.0 SOHC motor is now used in the mustangs with just a differant intake and pcm calibration.

zach103

Commander

i was lookin at rangers... i feel like the full size trucks tow better.. i could be completely wrong but i just felt safer having a bigger truck when towing.

freddyray21

Commander

I've had two Explorers, a Mazda pickup and now a Ford Ranger all with the 4.0 and never had a problem with them. The first Explorer had 205,000 on it when I traded it. The only problem with the Mazda was the clutch was a little light on the ramp. The Ranger I have now is auto as were the Explorers so I don't anticipate any problems with it.

jdp8488

Petty Officer 3rd Class

01 Mazda b4000(same exact truck as ranger) 4.0L 4x4. Pulling 18' bass boat with a 175merc. No problems. I have pulled my grandads trailor with his tractor on it though, guesstimating about 3000-4000lbs, I didnt think it was enough power to pull that much weight..took a bit to get upto speed. I couldnt imagine a ranger pulling 6000lbs..But maybe I am wrong. And what reel said about the rangers auto trannys is completely correct.. I believe its years 98-02 rangers and explorers, very bad rep on the trannys, many have failed, and mine needs to be rebuilt soon.

D

DJ

I've towed with two Rangers I owned.

#1. 2001 Ranger Super Cab. 3.0L auto. Trailer tow package. 3.55 axle ratio.

It towed a 3.5K# boat OK. Power and braking were fine.

#2. 2006 Ranger Super Cab, 3.0L Auto. Trailer tow package. This unit was an "Edge" model with the STX suspension. 3.73 axle ratio (taller tires) It towed the same.

Both were 2WD with traction lock.

The only issue I ever had was their handling of tongue weight. Tongue weight tended to "unload" the front wheels and made backing down a ramp a bit challenging. This could have been rectified (easily) with helper air bags on the rear springs. Or, some weight ahead of the rear axle, in the bed. Traction was never really an issue.

The 3.0L is no powerhouse but reliable and steady.

Some above myths dispelled.

-The Mazda B Series is a Ranger. Not the other way around.

-The OHC 4.0L is no comparison to the older 4.0L pushrod (2.8 and 2.9 base) engine.

-4.0L OHC Rangers are real little powerhouses, for their size.

Realize that the vehicle is quite light in weight. You will know you have a load behind you but you never feel unsafe.

If you're going to tow 5K# around on a regular basis, go with an F-150.

My 09 F-150 (2WD-Supercab, 4.6L) is getting a solid 21 MPG average. I was/am pleasantly surprised. Both my Rangers rarely acheived that.

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I worked for a Ford dealer for years, I got tired of seeing blown up 4.0L engines. I rarely saw a 2.3 or 2.5L, only for the occasional tune up or timing belt. I never had to do any engine work on a 3.0L either.
When they came out with the new SOHC 4.0L we were glad that the old motor was going away but how wrong we were. The SOHC drove us nuts with all sorts of headaches. Broken distributor/oil pump drives, cracked heads, broken timing chains, prematurely sludged up motors, failed oil pumps, and fried transmissions were the norm on the 4.0L trucks. Rangers weren't as bad as the Exporers most likely since they were lighter vehicles.
The clutch master and slave system was also another pain to deal with that failed all too often. (If I never have to bleed another Ranger clutch master or slave cylinder it will be too soon).
I got out of dealerships over 8 years ago now so I don't know how the newer stuff has been but my last Explorer ate two transmissions while still under warranty. Both were A4LD off shoots, 5R55 or similar.

I agree that the full size is a better tow vehicle but they've yet to be able to get any mileage out of them. My Ranger gets over 24 mpg, you won't get near that with an F150. The sad part is that my Crown Vic gets over 25 mpg and tows better than the Ranger. If only they could figure out how to get that mileage out of the same weight F150. (The F150 has the same motor, trans and rear ratio, and weighs in within a few hundred pounds yet they get half the mileage and don't have any more power).
The motors are the same inside with the exeption of cam grinds, intake configuration, and processor programming.

I always thought that a perfect Ranger would be a long bed, super cab, 4x2, with a 3.0L and an 4R70W trans and 8.8" rear axle with about a 3.73 ratio. But they've never built anything like it. You would loose a bit of power through the larger trans but not much, the weight gain would be minimal and there is enough room. The result would be a bullet proof little truck with very low maintenance. I guess they'd rather push Japanese engines and problematic transmissions? I have always bought Fords, it's the first time for me that when I'm in the market for a new truck, I really don't like what they have, but I really don't think much of any of them right now, the GM 1/2 ton seems like the bes bet right now though.

I have to agree with Reelfishin above, I don't buy foreign and want no part of any foreign car. I've just as happy to keep running what I have now if all I can buy is an import of some type. If it weren't for all the imports, we wouldn't have all this mess we have now with the US brands being on the brink of failure.

D

DJ

I agree that the full size is a better tow vehicle but they've yet to be able to get any mileage out of them. My Ranger gets over 24 mpg, you won't get near that with an F150. The sad part is that my Crown Vic gets over 25 mpg and tows better than the Ranger. If only they could figure out how to get that mileage out of the same weight F150. (The F150 has the same motor, trans and rear ratio, and weighs in within a few hundred pounds yet they get half the mileage and don't have any more power).
The motors are the same inside with the exeption of cam grinds, intake configuration, and processor programming.

The REASON is the F-150 is about 1 1/2 feet taller. Just in the grille itself. Not to mention the cab height. Frontal area robs HP and MPG. No way around it.

There is barely one part the same in a truck 4.6L and a car 4.6L. Pass. car 4.6's are "Romeo" built and truck 4.6's are "Windsor" built. Not to mention, SUV (Explorer/Mountaineer/Sport Trac) 4.6's are all aluminum. They are also "Windsor".

As I stated, my 09 F-150 is averaging a SOLID 21 MPG. That's with less than 5K miles accumulated. 21 is NEAR 24.

Yes, 25 MPG out of a Vic. or G-Marq. was easily doable. You could approach 30 if you drove sensibly.

I disagree on the 4R70W or 4R75W being a better trans than the 5R55. It's just a different application. Most of the units I've seen failed had the WRONG fluid in them. Pay attention to the owners manual. Thanks Goofy Lube.

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The REASON is the F-150 is about 1 1/2 feet taller. Just in the grille itself. Not to mention the cab height. Frontal area robs HP and MPG. No way around it.
The kind of driving I do it would matter little around town. I drove a 2009 for a day when they first came out last summer/fall. I ran my normal route around town and a short highway run, it averaged 12.9 for the day, and I was driving for mileage all day with no weight. It was a supercab shortbed with the air on, no more than 50 lbs of payload, no trailer, and my 300lb self.
There is barely one part the same in a truck 4.6L and a car 4.6L. Pass. car 4.6's are "Romeo" built and truck 4.6's are "Windsor" built. Not to mention, SUV (Explorer/Mountaineer/Sport Trac) 4.6's are all aluminum. They are also "Windsor".
Your missing my point here, regardless what parts differ by part number, they are the same engine, just different machining and build specs. The car makes more power and gets better mileage, so if the 'Windsor motor' can't get mileage, then use the Romeo built engine.

As I stated, my 09 F-150 is averaging a SOLID 21 MPG. That's with less than 5K miles accumulated. 21 is NEAR 24.
Your the exception, I've talked to dozens of people and not one has gotten better than 15 on the highway here with a 4.6L truck, even worse is the 5.4L

Yes, 25 MPG out of a Vic. or G-Marq. was easily doable. You could approach 30 if you drove sensibly.
I've gotten 30, but the norm is closer to 26 to 28, it averages no less than 24 even around town here.

I disagree on the 4R70W or 4R75W being a better trans than the 5R55. It's just a different application. Most of the units I've seen failed had the WRONG fluid in them. Pay attention to the owners manual. Thanks Goofy Lube.

The 5R55 is no heavier duty than the C3 that was used in a Pinto. The internals are way too small and light duty to be a truck trans. I feel Ford figured that most of those trucks would be used as cars and never see a trailer or heavy load. While it may be fine for a light car, it's no where near heavy enough to handle towing loads that they can be exposed to in something like an Explorer. There's just not enough size there and by far not enough cooling.
I've been building Ford transmissions for over 20 years, there have been far more A4LD and it's successor models on my bench than any other. The AOD and it's line up that followed has been a great trans with no major design issues.
The only issues I've run into with the 4R70W were on abused patrol cars where the sprag failed or the front pump stator wore after high mileage. Both were adressed concerns that have been fixed. They have done little to fix the smaller transmission. If they want to rate someting to tow any sort of weight, they need to upgrade the trans a bit. I still do some work for a local trans shop, most of the time it's a pile of 5R55, 4R44 or similar A4LD decendents that need overhaul. Not many 4R70W transmissions, which is one of the common F150 boxes used, end up on the bench there.

rblanken

Cadet

I am currently pulling all my camping gear and 12 foot boat with my Ranger. Truck does just fine. I have a 99 with the 4 cyl, manual, and stock 3.73 gears with open rear end. I plan on upgrading to 4.10 with LS as soon as I can find the rear end that I want. Right now I am running 31's and the truck still does fine. It will be even better when I change gears.

Here's my truck:

Attachments

• SDC10096 - Smaller.JPG
    SDC10096 - Smaller.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 1

N3UP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is barely one part the same in a truck 4.6L and a car 4.6L. Pass. car 4.6's are "Romeo" built and truck 4.6's are "Windsor" built.

The major differences between the car and truck 4.6 is the intake, cam specs and ecm program.

The windsors and romeos were both used in the trucks.
My 97 has a romeo. You can tell which you have by the vin, I forget which digit it is, but the 6 is a windsor, w is a romeo.

The differences between the romeo and windsor 4.6 is the in the cams and related components and the crank.
The cam diferences are in the way the timing gears are attached and the cranks use different number of bolts to mount the flywheel/flexplate.

Despite what some say the 4.6 pulls well but you have to wind it a bit. The 4.6 will run happily all day long at 3K rpm.
The 5.4 will tow more, but remember the 4.6 is only 281 cubic inches......a ballsy little motor if you ask me.

Someone earlier mentioned the 4.0 pushrod V6 was related to the 2.8/2.9.
Not sure about the 2.9, but the 2.8 was the german solid lifter 60 degree V6. I don't think the 2.8 was related to the 4.0.

The 4.0 pushrod was a dog. In 94 the 4.0 was 165 hp, the 3.8 that same year was 200 hp in the Taurus.

I had an 85 2WD longbed regular cab 2.8 with A4LD, I towed a 3K pound travel trailer with it. I have no idea what rear gear it had, but it worked it's butt off towing that trailer. I had to put a trans cooler on it that was big enough for a 40ft motorhome and I up graded the radiator to keep it from overheating and puking trans fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.