Making Boat Trailer Longer With Fulton Fold-Away Coupler?

kabcpapc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anybody used the Fulton Fold-Away Coupler to actually make a boat trailer longer? Any other suggestions on how to do this? I've seen hitch extensions that will give up to 18" extra length. The Fulton has 21" and 34" models. You can buy only the pivot hinge and parts and put your own coupler and channel on it or buy the complete kit.

The trailer is a 1977 Little Dude 3" x 3" channel with coupler rated at 3500 lbs. 2" ball with 4-bolt 4.80x12 tires. It carries a 1977 CollinsCraft 14' stick steering with a 25hp Mercury 2-stroke, trolling motor, 2 batteries and 6 gal gas tank. The trailer is rated at 2000 lbs.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Making Boat Trailer Longer With Fulton Fold-Away Coupler?

Bad idea will change the entire weight distribution of the trailer and depending on how much you are stretching this trailer could cause the tongue to bend or break.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you are having launch problems, this will solve the problem.

http://www.xtend-a-hitchnorthwest.com/

if you are having weight distribution problems, either extend your bunks, so you can move back, or move your axle.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Simple questions first.

Why do you want it longer?
Towing stability?
Launching ability?
Trailer storage options?

kabcpapc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Simple questions first.

Why do you want it longer?
Towing stability?
Launching ability?
Trailer storage options?

I would like a little more room when I lower my tailgate on my 2006 F150. The tailgates on the 2004 and later F150 are taller than on the 2003 and prior years. Also since it is a 14' boat sometimes having a longer trailer helps on some boat ramps, especially since in my area the drought has lowered many lakes. Towing stability and trailer storage options are not important.

I am going to check to see if I can pull out the hitch from the hitch receiver any more to give me a bit more room.

kabcpapc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was able to pull out my hitch another 2". Since the new coupler is 2" longer than the old one maybe that extra 4" will help enough not to extend the trailer tongue.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I have seen the fold-away units and they seem to be rugged enough to stand up to trailer towing stresses.

I had the same problem with one of my trailers. Being cheap--as in tighter than a crab's a** hole, and that's water tight, I made my own. Since I did not need the room in my garage I simple extended the tongue by three feet.

I found a length of 3 X 3 and bought some 1/4 X 2 inch steel bar. I cut the steel bar to three pieces about ten inches long and drilled and tapped one end of two plates with holes to match the original coupler holes in the tongue. I then drilled and tapped a third plate for the bottom of the tongue. I then slipped on the extension and drilled inch holes through it and the plates then tapped the plates. Tapping eliminated the need for nuts inside. This is almost as strong as if it were welded. The plate on the bottom is in tension and greatly reinforces the extension. It keeps the extension from bending upward with road loads. If you don't want to tap or can not, then drill 1/2 inch holes through and use some sort of extension to slip self locking nuts inside.

My total cost Would probably have been around 20 bucks. ---I don't really know because I had the 3 X 3, bolts, nuts, and plate steel.

Finally, I repositioned the springs and axle to give the proper tongue weight.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you actually be better off the change out the complete tongue. but looks like you solved the problem.

kabcpapc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Finally, I repositioned the springs and axle to give the proper tongue weight.

Since you extended your tongue by 3', how much did you have to move your springs and axle rearward?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I added 30" to a trailer ( http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=35063&highlight=bob_vt) by welding a piece of metal in. I did my extension to make up for poor weight distribution on the trailer. I did not have to move the wheels but I did move the winchpost...... wow that was almost 8 years and 5 boats ago! :D