Tow Jon boat with Subaru Forester?

mcngp_walleye

Recruit
I am considering purchasing a Jon boat, motor, and trailer package that weighs in at about 1400-1425 lbs. My Subaru is rated to tow 2400 lbs. I figure the weight of batteries, trolling motores, gas, and equipment will add an additional few hundred lbs. Subaru recommends trailer brakes for anything over 1000 lbs, but the trailers packaged with these boats don't appear to have brakes. I'd like to buy a slightly bigger Jon boat, but I am attempting to fit a boat to my existing vehicle. First of all, would it be safe to tow this package with a relatively small vehicle? Should I consider buying a pickup or something more robust for towing if I decide to get a boat?
I'm open to all suggestions/opinions/comments.

Shizzy

Ensign
Re: Tow Jon boat with Subaru Forester?

how big is this Jon boat? my 14" tinny and trailer arent anywhere near 1400lbs even with all my gear in it.

fishrdan

Admiral

How big of a jon boat are you looking at, size, manufacturer, outboard, etc? If you need brakes on the trailer, see if you can get it set up that way when you buy it. At a minimum, make sure the trailer axle has the flanges for mounting the brake assemblies as not all light axles have the flanges. Here's a place that has the parts for adding brakes:

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-150-as23400.aspx

I have a Tracker 1436 (BTW don't a Tracker) that I tow with my V6 Accord without problems. Fully rigged it weighs 750#, that includes, boat, trailer, outboard, trolling motor, 2- 31 batteries, fuel tank, anchors, etc...

Be aware that jon boats have their limitations (I also have an 18' Vhull so it's not a biggie for me) and I wouldn't want to be caught in 2'+ waves in my jon. Been there, don't plan doing it again.

What's drawing you to a jon; price, weight, like them? I like mine for it's purposes, but would have looked for a V-hull tinny if it was my only boat, Lund, Lowe, Crestliner, Alumicraft, etc...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!

You should be okay however....... Have the car's brakes checked out completely...... if you have never towed before you will need some practice to get used to the weight and NEW stopping distances. If you have ABS and try an abupt stop on a slippery surface such as a dirt road OR a launch ramp ..... your car will NOT stop.

Subaru is advising for the trailer brakes to cover their butt. At the weight you are towing you should be fine.

mcngp_walleye

Recruit

I am looking at a G3 1652SC Jon Boat. I went out with a local guide who had a larger one and I was impressed with it. I plan on fishing NJ rivers and small lakes and just want something that is equipped for fishing, light weight,and safe. What other alternative besides Jon boats do I have?

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Forester will do perfectly fine. I know from experience.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A 14' jon or tinny will be happy behind a Forester.

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a very similar set up that I pull with a Subaru Legacy sedan. My car is rated for 1000# w/o and 2000# with trailer brakes. I have a 16' Lund WC with a 15hp engine and trailer (). With the boat (320#), trailer (280#), engine (100#), gas (50#), and gear (150#), I figure the package weighs in at roughly 900#. The Legacy does a great job pulling it with the 2.5L and all round disc brakes.

However, I would stick to the recommendations of Subaru with the trailer brakes. The Forresters are built on the the Subaru Impreza chassis and have a shorter wheel base and are a smaller car than the Legacys. With that said, if you get into any crazy situations with quick stopping, you don't want the tail wagging the dog. The shorter wheel base could get squirely with 20' of trailer behind it. The trailer brakes may cost a little bit but would be a good investment. They would be a lot less than a couple insurance deductibles and the headache of a preventable wreck.

Here's a pic of my set up:
P6030085_2_.JPG

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I have a very similar set up that I pull with a Subaru Legacy sedan. My car is rated for 1000# w/o and 2000# with trailer brakes. I have a 16' Lund WC with a 15hp engine and trailer (). With the boat (320#), trailer (280#), engine (100#), gas (50#), and gear (150#), I figure the package weighs in at roughly 900#. The Legacy does a great job pulling it with the 2.5L and all round disc brakes.

However, I would stick to the recommendations of Subaru with the trailer brakes. The Forresters are built on the the Subaru Impreza chassis and have a shorter wheel base and are a smaller car than the Legacys. With that said, if you get into any crazy situations with quick stopping, you don't want the tail wagging the dog. The shorter wheel base could get squirely with 20' of trailer behind it. The trailer brakes may cost a little bit but would be a good investment. They would be a lot less than a couple insurance deductibles and the headache of a preventable wreck.

Here's a pic of my set up:
P6030085_2_.JPG

My setup is almost identical to this except 18ft Crestliner(57)w a 65 Merc 500.Very similar trailer.Don't tow often but tows easily behind my 07 impreza wagon.