What paint to use on trailer?

pteal28377

Cadet
Re: What paint to use on trailer?

Why not have is sprayed with a spay in bed liner?? Not the crap in a can but like a Rhino or Linex. We have done many trailers like this and have turned out really great. Last a heck of a lot longer than paint and no maintenance. It is there for life. Just a thought..... Cost about 350 to 500 hundred bucks depending on shop.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

It's hard to beat good ole Rustolium for availability and price. Having said that, we use "formula 150" epoxy primer and paint extensively in underwater/ regularly exposed/submerged salt water applications in many of our US navy projects. TOUGH STUFF!

Mybigjohnson

Seaman Apprentice

I am in the process of refurbishing my 1977 Little Dude boat trailer. After I sandblast the trailer I will be painting it. What paint would be best, Rustoleum or an auto urethane paint? Someone said Rustoleum would require sanding between coats but auto urethane paint would not require sanding? What's your opinion?

POR-15!!

Since you have already sandblasted. Stuff is great. Prime it with their primer then use their color coat. Paints on nicely by brush but roller should be just as good.

Check it out..

http://www.por15.com/

kyboater66

Recruit

PRO 15 is great stuff, BUT it is not UV protected. The sun will deterorate it!
It must be covered, so more work. Check out the fine print.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Word of caution. If ya use the hardener make sure you wear a good mask so you can't breath any of the stuff in. You should wear a mask anyhow but especially with the catalyst or hardener. Trust me, I was watching a buddy paint a car one time with that stuff and got some in my system and was in bed for three days and only got up to puke or out the other end. I thought I was dieing.

it's isopherone diisocyanate, and makes the paint MUCH harder and tougher, but if you're going to do that, might as well shoot it in imron. do it outside and ONLY use a 3m combination particulare and charcoal filter mask. throw the cartridges away after you do it and buy new each time you shoot that kind of paint. by the time you can smell it you're on your way to some serious problems - maybe even an untimely death. epoxy paints are not a lot better for you. I would consider zinc chromate 2-part urethane etch primer with imron top coat for this kind of thing in general. Imron is old technology and has gotten to be a real bargain. It has been reformulated a number of times and has a lower free iso content by far today than in the past. I love por-15 both the epoxys and he urethanes (uv stable), but it is kinda expensive...

The Valspar tracor and impliment paint you're talking about is decent paint. when you put iso hardener in alkyd resin paint you wind up someplace between where you started and two part urethane in terms of toughness, solvent resistance, etc...

EStack

Seaman Apprentice

I was going to wire wheel my trailer and a scuff pad on a orbital air tool. Just to get it off and repair the spots if I have any. Then I was going to spray black auto paint on it.

Any tips?