Gluing bunk pads/carpet...

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see Bass Pro sells the pads and I was all set to glue and staple some new pads on my bunks, but I have one question.

How long does the glue need to set before getting it wet? If I launch the boat then go do the work in the parking lot and then pull the boat back out of the water I don't think it will be good for the glue. I can't leave the boat in the water overnight. I could do it in the morning then come back a few hours later.

How would you handle this?

Thanks

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Gluing bunk pads/carpet...

I would jack the boat up off the bunk one side at a time and just forget about the parking lot fix.

blueoval1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do like a70 says. It worked perfect for me this spring. Just go slow and easy picking it up , and what ever you do don't get hands , arms , anything else in between the boat and bunks:).
Safety needs to be key!!

fishrdan

Admiral

I've never glued carpet on the bunks and haven't had problems with it coming loose, just staple it well on the underside with Monel (stainless steel) staples and you will be fine. Then when it comes time to replace the carpet it's as easy as pulling the staples and stapling down a new peice.

Honestly, you can get by with the cheapest carpet around if the bunks are shaded, shaded from the sun at the back of the boat where they poke out. I used the cheapest outdoor carpet that HomeDepot sells and it lasted for 10 years,,, was still good when I hauled the boat to the dump. I had 10' long bunks and bought 2' of 12' wide outdoor carpet, pretty inexpensive and lasted a long time.

If this was the interior of the boat I would never suggest Home Depot carpet....

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where do you buy SS staples? I went to Lowes but they don't carry it.

A thought just came into mind, being that the carpet is nailed/stapled under the board, what about aluminum roofing nails? That should hold forever :p.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If this was the interior of the boat I would never suggest Home Depot carpet....

I think Im going to have to disagree. That stuff is indoor/outdoor carpet, and have UV protection. I have had it in all my boats, and friends boats. 4 years on my friends pontoon deck, not a problem yet.

l_040d472c8d78f2eeeedea7d632e89a4e.jpg

l_4c911e95d185eb08cb04464fdf30af4b.jpg

and at $0.44 a square foot, you cant go wrong. Available in Blue and Gray.

And the green bottle of contact cement, the "non-flamable" sucks. the red can, flamable, much much much beter stuff

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hey you live in Rancho Cucamonga, me too!

fishrdan

Admiral

The SS staples are available at Lowes, that's where I got mine. Maybe they were out of stock? Better be hanging onto something when you look at the price tag though,,, $9/box compared to 2-3 for the regular staples. I don't see why aluminum roof nails wouldn't work,, unless you are using treated bunk wood, then they absolutely will not work. The treated wood will eat the aluminum nails.

I used Home Depot gray outdoor carpet on my last boat and was replacing it every 2-3 years, The stuff was literally falling apart with broken carpet fibers floating all over the boat. After 2 times of gluing it down I said to heck with it and just flopped a new piece down every year and then screwed the seats and trim back down. Would have been better off buying marine carpet,,, actually would have been better off painting the deck.

delta1

Seaman Apprentice

Depending on how many bunks/ your finances, why don't you pre-fab some bunks up. Go down to the lake with a few tools, battery powered drill and such.Float the boat ,15 minutes with some hand tools and your done. Save and re-use old bunks for next time.

salty87

Commander

you might have to ask for monel staples

i also didn't use glue. wrap the bunk with the seam of the carpet on the bottom and staple.

i left mine floating. lots easier than working under the hull....count on a few rusted bolts