Brakes and turn but no running or tail lights

E-vader

Cadet
Just got a used trailer and replaced all lights. Only brake, emergency flasher, and turn signals work. No tail lights or side marker running lights. Where do I start? Is there some adapter I need. I have a Ford Excursion stock tow package. The trailer harness is 3 male/1 female with G/Y/B/W.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Brakes and turn but no running or tail lights

Start by checking the running light pin in the tow vehicle. Can't have trailer lights if the voltage is not present on the tow vehicle plug.

captlee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only time you need an adapter is if your tow vehicle has amber turn signals. Besides checking the pins for power make sure you have a good ground with the white wires, just the trailer on the ball isnt always enuff. Good luck

Just got a used trailer and replaced all lights. Only brake, emergency flasher, and turn signals work. No tail lights or side marker running lights. Where do I start? Is there some adapter I need. I have a Ford Excursion stock tow package. The trailer harness is 3 male/1 female with G/Y/B/W.

You can troubleshoot from either end. Use a battery charger at the trailer, apply ground to the one that is different from the other three and then using a small phillips head as a probe apply voltage to the other three one at a time. If your running lights come on the problem is at the truck. If you are using an adapter to convert from a RV style check the voltage coming out with a test light on both the 7 blade RV plug and the adapter.

Your excursion has fuses for the trailer connections but they are located under the hood not under the firewall.

Shizzy

Ensign

check for a tow/haul fuse. My Ranger had the same issue and it turned out to be a fuse under the hood.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Amber turn signal are indeed one, but not the only iindicator that you need a converter. The key feature is that the Stop and Turn signals are separate bulbs. On a standard setup, the stop and turn signals use the same filament on a 1034 or 1157 bulb (or equivalent). Some vehicles do not have amber turn signals but they do in fact have separate stop and turn signal circuits which requires separate bulbs.

cmcpherson

Banned

Check fuse, I have an Expedition and I have had this problem a few times.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Nice little unit available to plug into the tow vehicle that will tell you if all is well at that end. Costs about 5 bucks but is worth more for the info you get.
Should be available from ant trailer dealer. I will post a photo of mine when I can find the camera !!!

Nice little unit available to plug into the tow vehicle that will tell you if all is well at that end. Costs about 5 bucks but is worth more for the info you get.
Should be available from ant trailer dealer. I will post a photo of mine when I can find the camera !!!

NAPA carries one as well.

Fromtoronto

Seaman Apprentice

I had some light problems so replaced them all on an old trailer. None worked, so I ran a ground wire to all lights attaching to the screws on each light.. they are all grounded now. Brakes , turn and flashers work only, no running lights, no side markers. I dont understand ?

I have them grounded, have them powered... Little scary running down the road with no lights at night.... keep pressing brakes oncre in awhile when i see a fast approcahing car so he knows I am there before he speeds by... as happens on some roads so late at night up north.

Shizzy

Ensign

as was mentioned twice already, check for a tow/haul fuse. I had the same issue on my ranger. everything but the running lights were nice and bright. it was the tow/haul fuse.

I had some light problems so replaced them all on an old trailer. None worked, so I ran a ground wire to all lights attaching to the screws on each light.. they are all grounded now. Brakes , turn and flashers work only, no running lights, no side markers. I dont understand ?

I have them grounded, have them powered... Little scary running down the road with no lights at night.... keep pressing brakes oncre in awhile when i see a fast approcahing car so he knows I am there before he speeds by... as happens on some roads so late at night up north.

If stuck with no running lights, use your flashers!

Fromtoronto

Seaman Apprentice

as was mentioned twice already, check for a tow/haul fuse. I had the same issue on my ranger. everything but the running lights were nice and bright. it wast the tow/haul fuse.

Saw your reply earlier, checked in fuse box, didnt see it, thought maybe was main running lights fuse, anyway, where is the fuse? is it on the harness somewhere after the connection? I had this dealer installed.... so didnt mess with it myself... wondering if there is another fuse on the wiring or in the main fuse panel? its a Honda Odyssey

Shizzy

Ensign

not sure about the Honda, but in my Ford Ranger there is a fuse panel on the side of the dash as well as a seperate box under the hood. Check your owners manual. look for a fuse labled tow or haul or something like that. If your vehicle was wired for a trailer from the factory Im sure there is a seperate fuse for it.

**edit** I just saw you said you had the dealer install the harness?? I would take it back and have them make it right.

Fromtoronto

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help.

I checked the fuse boxes, under passenger side, they had an opening and a sticker with Acces. 7.5 amp, so thought maybe they added that when they ran the wiring, tada... it was blown, bought a few extras and it now works perfect.

I had waterproof lights, but one as blown, cracked actually as well as the bulb. So since I never unplugged them before the dunk, I will now...Check your fuses, Thanks