Spartan Classic

clarkw

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 Spartan Classic trailer that I am rebuilding. It has been sitting for the last 15 years so I thought that I would replace the bearings. I know that I could just remove a hub, pull the bearings and measure them but I am trying to make it a bit easier. If anyone could tell me what bearings I need (and where to get them) I would appreciate it.

I live in north eastern Illinois.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

ClarkW

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Spartan Classic

I'm afraid you're going to have to pull the hubs. Lots of things can change the spindle size, like a new axle.

The outer diameter of the bearing is also important...critical, in fact. Pull a hub, remove the bearings and rear seal, then head for the bearing house or somewhere else where bearings are sold.

They'll have them in stock and you'll be set to go.

Otherwise, you may end up with the wrong bearings. No measurements are needed. The numbers on the bearings will tell the tale.

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Spartan Classic

Another option would be to purchase brand new hubs [once you measure the size of your spindle or read the bearing numbers off the existing hubs]

Remove tire
Pull Hub
Clean Old Grease (brake fluid work pretty good)
Note the bearing numbers
Start searching online for cross reference numbers to get your size requirements
Go shopping.

(don't forget new tires if the trailers still using the 15 year old ones)