• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lubricating Leaf Springs

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubricating Leaf Springs

I notice that my leaf springs are beginning to squeal and make cracking/popping noises whenever I go really slow over uneven surfaces like a curb or rock. Since they don't have zerk fittings, how do you lubricate them? What about the equalizers for double axle trailers, like mines.

Re: Lubricating Leaf Springs

these have bushings in them around the bolts that go though if u are starting to creak i bet they are bad .. they are none grease able

Comment

I boat in salt water and have been told by my trailer guru to spread out some newspaper or cardboard under the springs, open up a can of motor oil and just drench them. I've used an old shop towel to help work the oil in.I have done this to every trailer I have owned since the 80's and have yet to replace springs due to rust. I notice it also keeps them quiet as well.

Just let it sit overnight to catch the spillage.
      Captain OUPV

Comment

The squeaking is usually the leaves rubbing together. Lubricating them usually quietens them down but keeping the lube on them is the tough part. Give them a good spray with a light oil and see if they go quiet for a short period of time. Then if you choose to give them a soaking as said above. The only drawback to that is that the oil picks up every bit of dust and grit that lands on them and could be trouble in itself.
        sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

We have road salt here in MinneSnowta. A fleet owner I know sprays a can of wd40 on each set of leaf springs once a year in the fall. he never has spring trouble.

In addition to noise, rusty springs are likely to corrosion-stress crack, and totally fail.

hope it helps
          John

Comment

Thanks, guys...I'll give the WD-40 a shot and see if that helps. I doubt the bushings are bad because its only a year old trailer but I'll inspect them anyways.

Comment

In the old day's you could take one big a@@ screw driver...........insert it in the end of the spring........pull it down about a 1' or so......take a putty knife and spread some axle grease in the gap...and that should quite it down quite nicely..

Caution do not break a spring opening them up for grease.....A 1/2 gap goes quite a ways back..
              Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

Speed is how fast you hit the wall
              Torque is how far you move the wall"

Comment

WD 40?
                I have been using WD 40 for ant problems,. ants all over the house,.
                what I do ,. is spray the ant pathways with WD 40,.,. it does NOT kill them,. but,. what happens is they,. walk into it,.,. slip,.,. and break their necks,.,.

Comment

Originally posted by blues View Post
                  WD 40?
                  I have been using WD 40 for ant problems,. ants all over the house,.
                  what I do ,. is spray the ant pathways with WD 40,.,. it does NOT kill them,. but,. what happens is they,. walk into it,.,. slip,.,. and break their necks,.,.
                  LMAO...Good one!

Comment

Originally posted by Hashi View Post
                    LMAO...Good one!
                    WD-40 works great for everything except for ETHANOL.

Comment

WD-40 works for a short period of time in my opinion. It dissipates quickly and you are back to the squeeks again in a short time.
                      sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

I knew a older fellow that would wrap the spring in duct tape, pour oil into the gaps and then let the oil soak for a week. Unwrap the spring and clean up the mess. Of course that was on cars and not trailers.
                        1972 Chrysler Mutineer (remaining projects)
                        Fair Rudder & CenterBoard
                        Convert to WireLuff Jib
                        Finish Painting
                        Install additional Floatation (pool noodles)
                        1972 Chrysler C-500 Trailer
                        reconditioned

Comment

I ve got the same problem think I m gonna use a little spray grease instead

Comment

Try that silicone spray lubricant for garage doors.
                            K

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tail_Gunner View Post
                              In the old day's you could take one big a@@ screw driver...........insert it in the end of the spring........pull it down about a 1' or so......take a putty knife and spread some axle grease in the gap...and that should quite it down quite nicely..

Caution do not break a spring opening them up for grease.....A 1/2 gap goes quite a ways back..

If you will try that and post back the result's this thread will end...Boom Done
                              Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

Speed is how fast you hit the wall
                              Torque is how far you move the wall"

Comment

Working...
                              X