Lubricating Leaf Springs

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
I notice that my leaf springs are beginning to squeal and make cracking/popping noises whenever I go really slow over uneven surfaces like a curb or rock. Since they don't have zerk fittings, how do you lubricate them? What about the equalizers for double axle trailers, like mines.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lubricating Leaf Springs

these have bushings in them around the bolts that go though if u are starting to creak i bet they are bad .. they are none grease able

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I boat in salt water and have been told by my trailer guru to spread out some newspaper or cardboard under the springs, open up a can of motor oil and just drench them. I've used an old shop towel to help work the oil in.I have done this to every trailer I have owned since the 80's and have yet to replace springs due to rust. I notice it also keeps them quiet as well.

Just let it sit overnight to catch the spillage.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The squeaking is usually the leaves rubbing together. Lubricating them usually quietens them down but keeping the lube on them is the tough part. Give them a good spray with a light oil and see if they go quiet for a short period of time. Then if you choose to give them a soaking as said above. The only drawback to that is that the oil picks up every bit of dust and grit that lands on them and could be trouble in itself.

j_martin

Admiral

We have road salt here in MinneSnowta. A fleet owner I know sprays a can of wd40 on each set of leaf springs once a year in the fall. he never has spring trouble.

In addition to noise, rusty springs are likely to corrosion-stress crack, and totally fail.

hope it helps
John

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, guys...I'll give the WD-40 a shot and see if that helps. I doubt the bushings are bad because its only a year old trailer but I'll inspect them anyways.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

In the old day's you could take one big a@@ screw driver...........insert it in the end of the spring........pull it down about a 1' or so......take a putty knife and spread some axle grease in the gap...and that should quite it down quite nicely..

Caution do not break a spring opening them up for grease.....A 1/2 gap goes quite a ways back..

blues

Seaman

WD 40?
I have been using WD 40 for ant problems,. ants all over the house,.
what I do ,. is spray the ant pathways with WD 40,.,. it does NOT kill them,. but,. what happens is they,. walk into it,.,. slip,.,. and break their necks,.,.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

WD 40?
I have been using WD 40 for ant problems,. ants all over the house,.
what I do ,. is spray the ant pathways with WD 40,.,. it does NOT kill them,. but,. what happens is they,. walk into it,.,. slip,.,. and break their necks,.,.

LMAO...Good one!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

WD-40 works for a short period of time in my opinion. It dissipates quickly and you are back to the squeeks again in a short time.

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I knew a older fellow that would wrap the spring in duct tape, pour oil into the gaps and then let the oil soak for a week. Unwrap the spring and clean up the mess. Of course that was on cars and not trailers.

watermellon1

Seaman Apprentice

I ve got the same problem think I m gonna use a little spray grease instead

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

In the old day's you could take one big a@@ screw driver...........insert it in the end of the spring........pull it down about a 1' or so......take a putty knife and spread some axle grease in the gap...and that should quite it down quite nicely..

Caution do not break a spring opening them up for grease.....A 1/2 gap goes quite a ways back..

If you will try that and post back the result's this thread will end...Boom Done

reelfishin

Captain

If you are really concerned about rusty springs, to keep them rust free, try motorcycle chain lube for non-O Ring chain. It goes on liquid and congeals into a grease. It penetrates into the leaves. Chances are what you are hearing is the open end of a slipper spring grinding on the frame, jack the trailer up letting the axle hang and slather some water proof grease on the top of the spring where it meets the frame.
If you travel a lot on dirt roads however, any grease will attract and hold dirt and sand which can also be abrasive so the occasional cleaning and re-greasing would be in order as well.
Got any pics of your spring set up?

A squeak is usually caused by metal to metal rubbing, look at sides of the spring eyes, the top of the slipper end, and dry spring eye bushings or bolts that have seized to the spring eye and are rotating in the frame.

mthieme

Captain

When I was a kid working in a gas station doing oil changes and lube jobs, I was taught to spray the springs with something like WD-40.
Trailers of course are different in that they accumulate more rust at a faster rate. I'm in salt water. When these puppies rust up they also tighten up, not to mention make noises. Wanna see a set of springs fly up in the air? Burn the center bolt off of a really rusty spring. (Disclaimer: do not try this at home!).

lrice01

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I too, agree that WD-40 is probably not the best choice for long term use. It does dissipate quickly and is basically a water displacement (WD) spray.

I spray my leaf springs with Prolong synthetic lube. No noise from my springs and one application last for more than one launch. I had read on other forums that leaf spring failure might be caused by rusted leaf springs. Don't know if there is any evidence to support that claim.

raevin51

Seaman

I have also used the motorcycle chain lube, it works pretty well, I spray mine down every 4th or 5th launch. Also a local mech has been adding a double layer of a teflon impregnated plastic between the spring leafs, says it is better than grease.