Trailer Coupler Latch Question

johnjsa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The other day I took my boat out & I noticed that my boat trailer when I was making a sharp turn did not follow my vehicle as it used to. And when I was backing it into the drive it was harder than normal seemed to be veering off. Then I noticed that the couple latch on the trailer was loose. So today I went to see if I could tighten it & then saw that when it was latched down the part that closes on to the ball wasn't beneath the ball as I thought it should be but was part way up on the ball, which would allow too much free play. Wondering if I need to get a new latch for the coupler. Any info is appreciated.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trailer Coupler Latch Question

Well, I sure would! Sounds like a bad deal and an accident waiting to happen.

ekinnee

Seaman

I've had the little thing that grabs under the ball get stuck before, lube it a bit, may not be anything wrong with it other than being a bit dry.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I bet you have a 2" socket and a 1-7/8" ball.

johnjsa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, I definitely have a 2" ball. I know there is a nut that is at the bottom of the latch mecganism that you tighten or loosen to adjust but is there another flat nut that tightens the latch mechanism to the coupler. If so then that is the nut that's loose & may cause the whole thing to not work right. Was an afterthought.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

a picture of your coupler would help.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Try adjusting the bottom nut. Thghten it a little at a time.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

all the parts that comprise the latch/ball clasp have to be lubed regularly,back the nut off a tad ,grease it,attach it to the coupler,check for play and readjust as needed,it HAS to be under the ball.

johnjsa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The coupler latch on my trailer is like the Fulton coupler in the repair kit on Iboats marine store. I am going to take the latch off the coupler later today & make sure all parts are there, lube it & put it back on & adjust as necessary.

johnjsa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went & bought a trailer coupler latch repair kit, thinking it would be simple to replace the old one. I should know by now, nothing is simple. I took the old latch off & was installing the new one. I put the latch it self on & then put the spring over the threads & then was putting on the piece that clasps the ball & has 2 little "ears" that fit over a crosspiece in the trailer & discovered it would not go up into the trailer & over the crosspiece. I made sure again that the trailer said use 2 inch ball, but I swear, either the trailer has been whacked on the coupler end or it actually needs a 1 7/8 inch ball. Ths old piece I took off that the ball is not as big as the new one I bought. I'm not sure if there are different types of coupler latch repair kits, but I am going to Bass pro tomorrow & while I'm there gonna check.

reelfishin

Captain

Sounds to me like maybe just a whole new coupler would be in order, it would surely end all the trips back and forth.
Measure the width of the tongue tubing and get an appropriate coupler and bolt it on. I just replaced two of mine, $14.95 each for the whole thing at a local hardware store and all is better.

Although it does sound like you have a coupler problem, that won't make that big of a deal when it comes to the trailer tracking or backing up. I'd take a real close look at the springs and shackles and make sure there's no broken or bent parts. A loose coupler could induce some trailer sway or banging around when stopping or backing but it won't make the trailer track poorly, even a bent tongue in most cases won't be noticeable when towing unless it's pretty severe.
(My bass boat trailer has had a 1" bend in the tongue for over 20 years with no ill effects, it was like that when I bought it new, they knocked off $300 and gave me a new tongue and coupler, I've just never bothered to change it out). The trailer may ride slightly off to the left but it's by far not noticeable from the drivers seat. My guess was that they bent it jockeying it around the lot when it was new, it's crimped into a slight bend right at the coupler. If I ever do anything with it, I'd most likely just unbolt the coupler and saw off about 8" of the tongue and reinstall the coupler farther back. The tongue has 4' of extra length as it is anyway.

1231do6.jpg