• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How too attach a safety chain to a boat trailer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How too attach a safety chain to a boat trailer

My boat trailer does not have safety chains on it so I need to add them. My question is how do I attach them to the trailer? Do I drill a hole and run a screw.

H e l p

Re: How too attach a safety chain to a boat trailer

take out the forward most bolt on the coupler and replace it with a longer bolt. when you put the bolt through the chain put a washer on each side of the chain. make sure to use a grade 5 or higher nut and bolt.
    1998 Four Winns 245 sundowner, Volvo 5.7GSI/Duo prop

Comment

If the coupler is welded on you will need to drill a hole. And use a bolt, washers, lockwasher and nut, not a screw (there is a difference).

Comment

As Silvertip !!!!
        sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

yep as silvertip
          sigpic1982 Baja 16ss

Comment

The guys are right about the mounting and grade, and I add that you use large enough chain and clips or shackels (not S hooks, they are a joke ). S hooks can bounce off or bend open in the case off the unthinkable happening, and I wouldn't trust my boat to them. Improper safty chains cost my brother his life when hit head on by a towed vehicle that got away from the owner. Thats something that would be hard to live with, losing a life over a few bucks. Whatever you do, think safety first ( SAFETY CHAINS )...
            Happy Towing...
            Last edited by nuttyxp; June 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM. Reason: wrong word
            " It aint no fun, If the boat don't run... "

Comment

Would you guys mind posting a few pictures of what a good safety chain setup looks like, or point out a link with good information. I am a new boat owner and want to be sure what I was shown is the right way and not just a way to get a false sense of confidence in such an important thing.
              "Play Together, Stay together!"
              Stingray 220DS, Mercruiser 5.7, Alpha 1

Comment

I had a 20' Beachcraft on a Zieman trailer with 1/4" thick cable. The trailer broke lose one day and fortunately I was going very slow. That cable just snapped in two. I replaced that cable with 3/8" chain and have since sold the boat and trailer. On my current 21' Trophy I've attached a 7/16" chain.

Comment

On my trailer, just behind the coupler, there is a piece of L-steel welded on each side, (like the letter V attached to the bottom of the tongue) and the chain goes through it. Then, a grade 8 bolt secures the chain from sliding, keeping the chains at equal length.

While you have your tools out, help prevent ever having to use the safety chains and make sure your coupler is adjusted properly since your working in that area.

Overkill.... probably. Will that trailer ever get away from me? Not a chance.

This coming from a guy that had a trailer come loose @ 65MPH once. Never again!

Comment

Just an aside.

You need a chain on either side of the coupler, and cross them under the coupler. It the coupler ever does pop off, it will fall down and get caught in the chains. It won't drop as far as the road.
                    1977 Starcraft 18' SS 1980 Evin 115

Comment

Hmmm, I have always crossed my chains, however, If the trailer falls I can see how the coupler will hit the road.... Is there any formula to determine the length of the chain? I believe this question goes with the OP line of questioning. If not please let me know and I will start a separate post.
                      1975 Cobia Tradewinds SS-170
                      Close Bow 17 Footer V-Hull
                      1975 Evinrude 70573-B 70HP

1968 Babcock
                      Bow Rider 15 Footer Thrihull
                      1968 Mercury 500 50 HP

Yes, I could google it, but I rather get advise from my Iboats fellow members...

Comment

if your handy, and a good welder, or know of a good welder, i think welding would be the way to go. lock nuts tend to wear out from the elements and have the possibility to become loose. so taking a 7/16 chain and welding it to each side or something to that affect might be a better way to go.

i didnt see where post had been given with pics so maybe this will help...

http://www.ultra150s.com/PWC_Trailer...upler-lock.jpg bolt, washer and lock nut

http://www.bulletprooftrailers.com/i...afetychain.jpg chain welded to trailer.

hope this helps

Mark

Comment

Most recomend against welding the links as it weakens it...
                          1975 Cobia Tradewinds SS-170
                          Close Bow 17 Footer V-Hull
                          1975 Evinrude 70573-B 70HP

1968 Babcock
                          Bow Rider 15 Footer Thrihull
                          1968 Mercury 500 50 HP

Yes, I could google it, but I rather get advise from my Iboats fellow members...

Comment

I agree with Nandy about welding- I would bolt it.

If the lock nuts rust- just replace them.

I added a safety chain to mine, and drilled and used a pass through bolt with a chain holding spring locked hooks hanging from either side of my welded on coupler.
                            1967 Sears 14' V-hull with full redneck bass boat conversion! Fitted with a repainted 1975 Johnson 15HP, and Evinrude bow mounted foot controlled trolling motor...

Comment

I weld mine on, only because I enjoy welding stuff. As for welding making it weaker...I disagree. I've only had the coupler come off of the ball once and it was hard enough to snap one of my chains. It snapped in the middle of the chain. If welding made it weaker it would have snapped where it was welded to the trailer tongue. Only my observation and opinion.

All that being said, drilling a hole and using the right nut/bolt hardware works excellent too! A no brainer if you can't weld or don't have access to a welder.

Hunter

Comment

Working...
                              X