Trailer Ball Lock

hcontreras

Cadet
Quick question: My trailer is rather old, but still does the job. Anyhow, on my trailer, the lock for the ball of the trailer does not lock anymore. Do you think it's ok to tow it that way? If not, what could I use to secure it better (given that it doesn't lock). Thanks.

Here is the Photo:

2613021865_8901908d5e.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trailer Ball Lock

wd 40 and working it should free it up. i always put a pad lock thru the safety hole, those little clips can come loose. always use your safety chains.

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks pretty rusted, I would take a hard look at the rust inside the hitch before I would trust it, you can get replacement parts that replace or weld onto the frame

Shizzy

Ensign

mine looked just like that when I got my boat. I just stuck a finger in a jug of old oil and swabbed it on and worked it up and down a few times and now its as good as new. I also use a padlock on it weather its on the truck or sitting in the yard.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

If the "guts" are too rusted, you can get them as replacements for very little $$. Of course, a whole new coupler is only about 20 bucks. Welding at the right place can be had for a little as a 12 pack.:D

However, from the pic it doesn't look too bad. I'd guess a little oil and wire brush, and some more oil will fix your right up.

hcontreras

Cadet

Alright Fellas.....Thank you so much for your input! Much Appreciated!: