Need info on replacing rusted shoreline trailer rails

jforsyth

Recruit
Hello folks,

I've got an old shoreline trailer. It came with a 1973 Grady White boat (19').
I replaced all of the wobble rollers (16) as well as both wheel hub assemblies (complete). When I was replacing the rear woble rollers I realized that the "rails" (not sure of the correct terminology) that the wobble roller assemblies are attached to are rusted through. The dimensions of these rails are 3" high by 2" wide by 40" long. They direction is forward and back. There are a totle of 4 of these rails (the front ones are okay).

I'm having a hard time finding this online. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I want to replace these galvanized "rails".

Thanks,

John

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need info on replacing rusted shoreline trailer rails

That is a lot of money for a short piece of metal and that is not even taking in to consideration what shipping will be. Why not go to a metal supply place and just buy some metal and make your own.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto on making your own, that's what I did.

DougV>

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Well I would dissent and say making your own isn't worth it. A stick of regular 2x3x.125 is ~$105. Galvanizing would easily add another 20% so somewhere around $125. You could cut out your 4 pieces, breaking the galvanizing at every cut and for every hole to save what, the shipping with 6' left over? Hardly worth it...order them...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

make your own, or buy a used trailer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Well I would dissent and say making your own isn't worth it. A stick of regular 2x3x.125 is ~$105.

Just called and got a quote of $129 for a 20' long piece. With shipping from Eastern Marine, 4 pieces would run $260.

I wouldn't bother galvanizing it. Wherever there is a hole the galvanizing will wear off and that is wear it is going to rust. I would just paint.

jforsyth

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. I checked out the link on the first reply. The length is close enough. I had one question though. On these pivot bars are the holes standardized or are they different. On my trailer the support for each pair of wobble rollers has 2 bolts though the holes in the pivot bar at both ends.

I've already put some money in this trailer & I didn't want to buy another one. If I can replace these pivot bars and the U bolts then it will be in decent shape.

Some of you folks mentioned buying a long pice and cutting it down. First of all how would you cut it? Secondly how would you drill the holes & with what?

Thanks again,

John

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Some of you folks mentioned buying a long pice and cutting it down. First of all how would you cut it? Secondly how would you drill the holes & with what?
John

I would use a chopsaw and a drill press...depends on what you have for tools...

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Just called and got a quote of $129 for a 20' long piece. With shipping from Eastern Marine, 4 pieces would run $260.

I wouldn't bother galvanizing it. Wherever there is a hole the galvanizing will wear off and that is wear it is going to rust. I would just paint.

All sticks of tube are 20' long. Looks like I nailed the price within $1 guessing (unless the price you quoted isn't for galvanized)...I think I'll go buy a powerball ticket:D

I don't know how you figured the price out, and maybe it's because you're on the west coast (Eastern Marine), but I can have 4 of them shipped to me for $144 total. In his original post, he said he only needed two, and I could get 2 for $76.04. No way I'd make them for that, and I have a fully equipped metal shop, but I respect everyone's right to value their own time ;)...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yes I am on the west coast and those were not galvanized prices. You are probably right that for him it could be better to buy the pre made ones if they are close enough to what he needs. i am sure that he will be drilling holes in them so there will be breaks in the coating so that will have to be dealt with.