Cover boat when towing?

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Cover boat when towing?

The main concern when choosing a cover to trailer with will be finding one that won't catch the air and lift or flap around. It must fit tight, at least to the leading edges. It must be properly supported and not allow air to create a parachute effect at any point. The two covers I have here that are listed as trailerable use a center support post and have a strong drawstring and many tie points when its on the boat, it fits almost as tight as a shrink wrapped plastic.
I still don't trailer with a cover, it's not worth the aggravation of worrying about the cover coming loose and doing damage to either my boat or another vehicle.

I do agree however that a covered boat will save some fuel when towing, but how much may vary greatly from boat to boat.

shipoffools

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Cover boat when towing?

I use a good fitting trailerable cover when I'm heading out on vacation, mainly because the boat is usually full of camping gear and I would rather not have to worry about anything flying out on the highway. I leave it uncovered when I'm headed out for a day trip with out the extra gear.