Pontoon to trailer straps

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugbro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just purchased a used 20 ft Pontoon boat from my brother-in-law and he delivered it to me a few days ago ( a distance of over 200 miles), and I noticed it has no way of securing the pontoon boat to the trailer. Brother-in-law stated he had never seen a pontoon tied down. I am new to the boating scene and I was just wondering is he crazy or am I????..I think I would feel better with the boat secured to the trailer.
Any comments will be appreciated

pugbro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pontoon to trailer straps

I know this belongs in the trailer and towing forum but that particular site doesnt seem to get much action/reaction...So my question is..Should a pontoon be secured to the trailer just like any other boat??? I purchased a 20 ft pontoon from my brother-in-law who trailered the boat over 200 miles to my house without a single strap except for the one on the winch. He said he had never seen a pontoon tied down....Is he crazy or is it me??? I think I would feel much better towing a boat that was secured to the trailer..............
Any and all comments are welcomed.

zach103

Commander
Re: Pontoon to trailer straps

im not sure.. others willl deff tell you exactly but i would secure it no matter what.. there have been some pictures on here of boats that flew up toward the tow vehicle because they had to stop fast.. i think the pontoon could do the same (like i said im not sure) .. but like they say better safe than sorry.. rather spend 5 mins securing the boat than 5k repairing it

just my 2 cents

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Pontoon Straps

I was just wondering is he crazy or am I????..

Ayuh,...... He's Nuts,..... you're showing signs of Sanity........:D

Any Load should be apart of it's Trailer,..... Always.....

BeerMonkey

Seaman

maybe not to crazt cause my pontoon boat was deliverd (not new) and nothing was holding it down in the back, previous owner said he never tied it down

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

You might recheck your data on the trailer forum. I visit it almost daily and see that there are new posts and replys daily. It is a bit rude to post in another form and make the moderators shift it to where it needs to be. Their time is valuable too.

As to tying down any load, whether a lawn mower or a bull dozer, you should have sufficient tie downs to ensure the load and the trailer do not become seperated in the event of a crash. Federal regs require a strap for every five foot of length on a commercial load. A bow strap and transom straps are the bare minimum for any boat. Even if you do not eat the boat during a wreck, you have no right to endanger others. We had such a crash last month here. The tow vehicle diver was just fine, but he killed others due to his lack of sense.

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would not tie the stern. I did once on a very long trip. Half way there the motor pod cracked at the back of the deck. I had to take the motor off an then got it fixed. On the way back it was not secured and every thing was fine.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please do not post same question in different forums.
I will move this one to the trailer and towing forum now.

wavehitter

Cadet

I just purchased a used 20 ft Pontoon boat from my brother-in-law and he delivered it to me a few days ago ( a distance of over 200 miles), and I noticed it has no way of securing the pontoon boat to the trailer. Brother-in-law stated he had never seen a pontoon tied down. I am new to the boating scene and I was just wondering is he crazy or am I????..I think I would feel better with the boat secured to the trailer.
Any comments will be appreciated

we don't secure our 24'pontoon with anything other than the the winch in the front of the boat. We have never had a problem, but we also don't go 90 miles an hour. Just be careful and all should be fine. When we bought the boat they never instructed for us to use other tie downs so we haven't.

SpinnerBait_Nut

When I had my 24'er, I always tied it down, front and rear.
Don't think it would have went anywhere, but I'm not in that big of a hurry not to tie it down.

Bamby

Seaman

Why would anyone want to tow a boat without straping it down? It takes so little effort to do. What if someone pushes you onto a curb or berm? I've seen pictures of the aftermath and it ain't pretty. Usually what happens is you bounce the back of the boat out of the bunks. And when it returns to earth it may not be centered in your bunks. If you look at a lot of pontoon trailers they are not supporting but the very bottom of pontoons. Would not take that to a mess. Straps are CHEAP insurance aggainst a possable misshap.
Gregg

Bondo

Staff member

I would not tie the stern. I did once on a very long trip. Half way there the motor pod cracked at the back of the deck. I had to take the motor off an then got it fixed. On the way back it was not secured and every thing was fine.

we don't secure our 24'pontoon with anything other than the the winch in the front of the boat. We have never had a problem, but we also don't go 90 miles an hour. Just be careful and all should be fine. When we bought the boat they never instructed for us to use other tie downs so we haven't.

Ayuh,...

The fact that neither of you have had an Accident,... Yet...
Is No Reason to be spreading False info like this,....

It's not only Illegal to haul an Unsecured load,.....
It'll be Immoral when 1 of you Kill somebody by doing it.......:rolleyes:

Relying on Gravity to secure your load to just Foolhardy,.....
No,..... Make that Moronic......

tashasdaddy

every state has a law concerning trailer loads, and securing. you are required, to strap your load. your trailer accidentally hits a curb, the boat bounces to the side, into a car. the lawyers are going to have a great time, trying to take everything you have. "negligence" is the legal word.

wavehitter

Cadet

every state has a law concerning trailer loads, and securing. you are required, to strap your load. your trailer accidentally hits a curb, the boat bounces to the side, into a car. the lawyers are going to have a great time, trying to take everything you have. "negligence" is the legal word.

Why in the world would't the salemen tell us your suppose to use the tie-downs to hold it to the trailer? We even asked them, how in the world does it stay on the trailer? They said it's to heavy to come off.. But I will now use the tie-downs to hold it to the trailer after hearing these stories. Thanks

SpinnerBait_Nut

Why in the world would't the salemen tell us your suppose to use the tie-downs to hold it to the trailer? We even asked them, how in the world does it stay on the trailer? They said it's to heavy to come off.. But I will now use the tie-downs to hold it to the trailer after hearing these stories. Thanks
Because he/she was worried about getting the sale.:rolleyes:

tashasdaddy

it cuts there cost, not having to provide straps.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

If weight kept a load from going off a trailer then my Caterpillar bulldozer would need tiedowns even less than a pontoon boat.

Many salesmen are brought in off the street with no knowledge of the product they sell and little experience with it either. A glad hand a slap on the back and the ability to get you to write a check to their employer is what keeps them on the job. Knowledge, integrity and product experience are way down on the list of desireable qualities to most dealers.

zach103

Commander

my neigbor works for a big construction company..when they do work at his house and bring the big machines they are always strapped down.. no matter how big or small it is.. it could be the monster cats like ec or small stuff.. he said no matter what you have in the pickup or on the trailer it should be secured because something could go wrong and the next thing you know your getting sued

Phantom_II

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why in the world would't the salemen tell us your suppose to use the tie-downs to hold it to the trailer? We even asked them, how in the world does it stay on the trailer?

They said it's to heavy to come off..

But I will now use the tie-downs to hold it to the trailer after hearing these stories. Thanks

Too heavy to come off.

That's as valid an argument as saying a building won't move in an earthquake because it's too heavy.

It's very weight is the problem. A mass, once set in motion, tends to stay in motion. But not always in the direction you expect.

pugbro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Once again, you guys came through for me...And I do apologize for putting my question in a place it should not have been...Won't happen again..I was not being rude, just ignorant to the rules of this boating forum. I have now been enlightened and will do better next time...Having said all that.....Thanks again for all the great help and advice you guys hand out! I was happy to find out that I was not the crazy one!

Status
Not open for further replies.