Wobble roller problem Shorelander trailer

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
This is an old 1985 era trailer, set up is 16 typical black rubber wobble rollers 4 sets of 4, plus two keel rollers, one midway on the trailer, the other the bow rests on and of course the usual bowstop.

I don't like the way this loads/unloads, very tricky at times to center the boat on retrieval. I wonder if it has something to do with the way the wobble rollers are on their spindles? Looks like PO had a metal bushing on old rollers which he simply placed on the spindle and positioned the new wobble roller next to it but not riding on it. The new wobble roller cannot fit over that metal bushing. As a result the wobble roller seems to have too much play or wobble side to side on the spindle I think.

How should these wobble rollers work? Is there much side to side wobble on their spindle or does the movement of the spindle on its base move to conform to the shape of the hull?

thanks,

Joe

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wobble roller problem Shorelander trailer

Most wobble rollers have a metal sleeve inside them. If you have metal sleeves on the shafts chances are your rollers are shot and need repaired.

The problem with not loading straight is most likely not a roller problem. More than likely your putting the trailer too deep in the water. I back mine in till just the top of the fender is above the water. The boat loads perfectly every time.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

these don't seem to have any metal sleeve or bushing inside them- the metal sleeve is on the shaft just before the roller because the roller does not fit over the sleeve. Here is a picture:
DSCN0274.jpg

None of the rollers are broken/torn/etc but they are not riding correctly on the shaft I think.
Joe

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That is the perfect pictue of a shot roller.

That sleeve was orginally molded into the bore of the roller. Obviosuly the bond has been broken and the roller now needs replaced.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hummm, just yesterday I replaced ten of the rollers on my trailer and not one of the new ones has a sleeve. The old ones I removed as well as the ones I didn't remove do not have sleeves. Each roller has a large washer on each side and a cotter pin on the end of shaft. New on the left, old on the right.

319488392.jpg

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like I have a bunch of rollers to replace then! thanks for the help.