Best Vehicle for Towing Boat ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

osur914

Cadet
I have a question that doesn't really pertain to a boat, but to the vehicle you use to tow your boat. I am in the market for a new truck and am looking for something that will tow a 19 ft Javelin and still get good mileage. Does anyone tow a large boat with a 4 cylinder vehicle successfully? Thanks, John

tommays

Admiral
Re: Best Vehicle for Towing Boat ?

Well

It would really depend on the total weight of the compeat boat/trailer/stuff package

If it is safely within the tow rating of what your looking at it will work

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

My AWD V6 Escape pulls my 18' boat fine and gets 17-18 mpg while towing. The new Rav 4 and GMC also do quite well and can tow small boat.

If you consider an Escape without a tow package, have Uhaul put on an aftermarket one...I had bloody knuckles trying to install an aftermarket hitch as it was not easy fishing bolts through the frame rail due to limited access.

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know about 4 cylinders for a 19' boat...

A couple "small" SUVs with 6's and reasonable gas mileage come to mind though:
The Honda Pilot can tow 4,500 lbs as long as it is a boat (3,500 lbs otherwise).

Starting in '08, the Toyota Highlander is rated to tow 5,000 lbs. I believe it was rated for 3,500 before '08.

Saturn's Outlook (new in 2007?) can tow 4,500 lbs.

I'm not familar with Javelin, but am guessing that for most 19' boats, you want a vehicle that is rated to tow 3,500 - 5,000 lbs., depending on how many passengers you expect to have with you..

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

The only decent one I can think of is the Jeep Liberty with the 4 cylinder diesel. Tons of torque. It had some egr problems that I don't think every got fixed and they are a little hard to find. So I guess I'm saying the vehicle you want doesn't exsist.

I have never tried towing with a 4 cylinder truck. I had a s10 years ago with a 2.8l v6. (20-28mpg) It did ok with the little boat. But with a 18 ski boat (3k loaded) it was slow. I wouldn't want to put a lot of miles on that way.

octane

Seaman Apprentice

I own a RAV 4 AWD V6 with a towing rating of 3500#, and have no problem towing my boat that weigths around 2200#. The towing capacity is only part of the things to look at.

If you always go to the same ramp, and it's paved you will be fine with 2 wheel drive, but if it's not the case, a locking diff or AWD is to be considered. In my case AWD was a must.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have a Mariner, 4 cylinder, i tow small boats, but a 19 footer go with a v 6. i had no problems installing my hitch, 20 minutes by myself.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Makes a lot of difference if you want a tow vehicle or an all purpose vehicle that you tow with.

The best all purpose vehicles I ever had were both Mercedes MLs. The ML 320 would get 15-16mpg towing, 21-25 not towing, but it needed premium ga$.

The best tow-only vehicle I ever had was a 80s F-150 with the 4.9 liter I6 and four speed. I suspect that a new F-150 with the smaller (V6?) engine would do even better.

pau hana

Cadet

Diesel Excursion. Tows a small country with seating for 8......:D

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You have a conundrum. You can have a good tow vehicle, or a vehicle that gets good mileage. You probably won't get both. I prefer a good tow vehicle for many reasons. Yes, I give up good mileage for the other benefits.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The best tow-only vehicle I ever had was a 80s F-150 with the 4.9 liter I6 and four speed. I suspect that a new F-150 with the smaller (V6?) engine would do even better.

The 4.2 will pass more gas stations.
The 4.9 will pass more repair shops
The 4.9 will pull tons more than 4.2.

ferrellb

Seaman Apprentice

I tried and tried to do the same as you; find one vehicle that could do both. I finally gave up and bought a 97 Isuzu Rodeo 4wd for $1200. I kept my 4cyl import for daily use. I know a lot disagree stating the "hidden costs" of owning a second vehicle. I have not seen this math work out in my case. I have driven the Rodeo 3500 miles in just over 1.5 years. It costs me nothing and I could sell it now for what I bought it for. It is also nice for when I do my Home Depot runs...

10 FOOT INVADER

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My chrysler mini van pulled my little boats fine. Now with the 20 footer I use a 90 t car. 5.0 engine and rear air ride make for a perfect tow car.Mpg seem to be a little lower when towing but, still cheaper than buying a truck. Once in a while for long tows I have rented u haules.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Get a chevy s-10 with the 4.3 V-6, they have lots of power..

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

1999 to 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the I6. I get about 19 to 20 MPG's in normal driving. My boat trailer weighs about 4500 lbs. Towing MPG is only about 13 mpg though.

richw46

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pulling is only half the equation, you need to be able to stop too. Stopping on a dry road is pretty easy but when it rains it's not so easy. Your tow vehicle should be heavy enough to easily stop on wet roads when you have a full load.

Another consideration is wheel base. If your wheel base is too short your boat will be fishtailing and you could lose control. It's also a very tiring and nerve-racking drive.

Most pickup trucks and SUVs are very suited to the job. Don't worry too much about gas mileage, your life and the lives of your family and friends are more important. The 'experts' at the ramp will have those tow vehicles. The amateurs will have lightweight, undersized ones. You may also see those folk in the ditch or median.

Choose wisely, have a safe and enjoyable trip. :cool:

Rich

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rich is right on the money.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

the new 1500 chevy/gmc trucks get great mileage around 20 hwy, they run 8 cylendars when they need it, 4 when they don't. Plenty of truck to stop the boat too :)

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

"1999 to 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the I6. I get about 19 to 20 MPG's in normal driving. My boat trailer weighs about 4500 lbs. Towing MPG is only about 13 mpg though."

I have owned a 2000 cheerokee sport, a 2003 grand cherokee both with I-6's. I average 17 mpg's. I now have a 2006 grand cherokee with a v-6 and have about the same mpg's. On long trips I can sometimes get into the 18's. Never checked the mileage while towing but i do turn the od off and or run it a gear lower. My boat/trailer weighs in at just over 3ooo lbs, all 3 previously mentioned jeeps handle it fine, I do lose some speed in the hills and don't try to maintain that speed mainly for gas mileage purposes. If not worried about the mileage i think I could maintain the speed except maybe in long steep hills.

DOugV>

jljue

Cadet

A 19' boat will be best with a good mid-size truck or SUV or a full-size truck or SUV. A minivan that has the capacity for 3000-5000 lbs and AWD will be ok, but remember that you are putting extra weight on the back, which will shift weight off the front of the vehicle. An AWD crossover will be ok with that weight, but probably not a FWD crossover. With a steep, slick boat ramp, you might be in trouble if your tow vehicle doesn't have a good limit-slip differential, enough weight, and AWD or 4wd. Most people that I know with that big a boat do not use a FWD. I have had to put my Titan with my 18' Skeeter in 4wd on one particular boat ramp because of the slope and the slickness, and at the same time, a Z71 with a 19' Ranger had to do the same. The extra power makes for a comfortable pull knowing that you aren't killing your engine and transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.