How do i remove boat from trailer? (on land)

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class
i need to paint my trailer because i just painted the boat and it doesnt look right with the faded trailer.

so how do i get the boat off the trailer without tearing anything up?

i know theres a post about this but i couldnt find it.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How do i remove boat from trailer? (on land)

I did it with boat stands and going slowely. Unhook the boat other than the bow strap. Two stands under the transom and jack them up a good amount. Attached a come along from the bow eye to a rear section of the trailer. Then inch the truck foward and the come along back. Took maybe hour to hour and a half yo get my 25' Wellcraft off a rented trailer.

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks guys, i read the post knotty. sounds easier than i thought.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys, i read the post knotty. sounds easier than i thought.

Just take your time. Go slow and make sure your blocking or stands are secure. It ain't a race! Good luck and let us know how you make out.

skipperjon

Recruit

I just did it with my 28' Larson. Hired a crane on a truck. It was around $250 each way. Built a cradle out of 8x8 timbers. The crane has a scale built in, it showed the boat alone at 10,320 lbs. which is more than I thought it was.
JC

Deansel

Cadet

I am going to start work on our trailer soon and we have a pond that we can use to float the boat while the trailer is being worked on. I did my jet boat trailer by using a heavy duty bumper jack in the rear (motor was out of the hull at that point) and a engine hoist at the bow. After the trailer was removed from under the boat, I lowered the hull onto some old tires to provide some cushion.

Just be sure of the weights and capacities involved so you are not overloading the lifting and/or supporting equipment. Hull stability has to be high priority also. I find it helpful to take my time with these kinds of projects and think things through before attempting the feat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Deansel, I don't know how big your boat is but if it looks really rediculous floating in your pond, make sure you take a picture :)

ArkBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have a marina fairly close by, may want to call and ask what a slip would cost per night. I know there is a marina around here that will rent you one at $20 a night. Just a thought. May want to take the boat and launch it early evening on a Friday and put it in the slip, then go home get to work and go pick the boat up Saturday afternoon. Just a thought if you don't want to try the other route. ;)

Deansel

Cadet

Deansel, I don't know how big your boat is but if it looks really rediculous floating in your pond, make sure you take a picture :)

Hehe, great idea! I will have to do that as the pond is quite small - I can do donuts if I steer to full lock and raise the motor a little:)

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hehe, great idea! I will have to do that as the pond is quite small - I can do donuts if I steer to full lock and raise the motor a little:)

That reminds me of something I saw yrs ago. On the way to work we pass a manmade lake about a half mile long by quarter mile wide. On the banks of this lake are dozens of very high end homes, seven figure homes. One of these owners had a large offshore racing type boat, cigarette, donzi, baja or something like that. All I know is it sat on a tripple axel trailer so it was big.

Anyhow the day after the guy brought it home his buddies launched it in the lake while he was at work. When he got home his boat was anchored 100 yrs off his house and the trailer was stashed in his buddy's yard down the block. After an hour trying to scrounge up a dingy to get to the boat he rows out and finds a citation for violating the lakes "No Gas Engine" bylaw!

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

That reminds me of something I saw yrs ago. On the way to work we pass a manmade lake about a half mile long by quarter mile wide. On the banks of this lake are dozens of very high end homes, six figure homes. One of these owners had a large offshore racing type boat, cigarette, donzi, baja or something like that. All I know is it sat on a tripple axel trailer so it was big.

Anyhow the day after the guy brought it home his buddies launched it in the lake while he was at work. When he got home his boat was anchored 100 yrs off his house and the trailer was stashed in his buddy's yard down the block. After an hour trying to scrounge up a dingy to get to the boat he rows out and finds a citation for violating the lakes "No Gas Engine" bylaw!

laughingdog.gif

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Six figure homes, don't you mean seven? :D

Floating it is the easiest and smartest way, but definately not the only.

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

There was time years ago when homes were six-figures. Scary part ? I am not all that old, and I can remember them?. even lake fronts

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm old because my first two homes cost me 5 figures each :eek::D

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

Y'ALL, kin steal git a purdy single wide in the swamp fer 2 pigs ana gote!!:D

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I made the boat loose to the trailer. Then I lowered the trailer jack wheel, which causes the transum to rise. I supported the transum with stands and blocks under the keel. I then rasied the jack wheel, which lowered the transum onto the supports. I slowly pulled the trailer out until the bow was somewhat close the the rear of the trailer and blocked the bow up. Then slowly pull the trailer out. Reversed the operation to re-trailer the boat. It was a 21' Seaswirl cuddy.