Boat Hits Winch/Bow Roller Coming Off Trailer

douglee25

Seaman Apprentice
I have a '97 Larson 270 Cabrio with an anchor roller attached to the bow. Prior to launching off the bunk trailer, I remove the anchor to help the situation, but I still have an issue where the anchor roller hits or rests in the pocket of the bow roller. Ideally it would be nice to launch without removing the anchor alltogether. The Larson has a stepped hull and the bunks are cut out for that. Therefore, I can not slide it off the bunks until I float it high enough.

What have others done to eleviate this situation? I saw a gentleman who did the setup seen below. He moved the winch back and had a pinned bar that could be slid up or down when he was loading/unloading the boat. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Doug

Attachments

• Boat Winch Setup1.jpg
    Boat Winch Setup1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat Hits Winch/Bow Roller Coming Off Trailer

I see no useful purpose for the bow roller so remove it. The winch doesn't care if it has a little upward or downward pull to it. What I do see (or better yet, don't see) is a bow tie down. In a crash or even a sudden stop, the bow will ride up and over the bow stop and land on or in the back of the tow vehicle. I do hope you use very stout stern tie downs. This guy didn't think it was a problem either. Note that there is no apparent damage to the truck so this is simply an example of a "quick stop". I realize you didn't ask about that so the advice is offered solely in the interest of safety.

Trailleroops.jpg

douglee25

Seaman Apprentice

I see no useful purpose for the bow roller so remove it. The winch doesn't care if it has a little upward or downward pull to it. What I do see (or better yet, don't see) is a bow tie down. In a crash or even a sudden stop, the bow will ride up and over the bow stop and land on or in the back of the tow vehicle. I do hope you use very stout stern tie downs. This guy didn't think it was a problem either. Note that there is no apparent damage to the truck so this is simply an example of a "quick stop". I realize you didn't ask about that so the advice is offered solely in the interest of safety.

Trailleroops.jpg

As I said, the above picture is not my boat or my setup but rather a gentleman I spoke with regarding my problem. His solution is what is pictured above and he does use a tie down when he travels.

So any recommendations on how to eleviate the problem?

Doug

tommays

Admiral

In looking at the picture that i realize is NOT your boat :eek:

The sole reason of the IMHP very dangerous winch location would seem to be keeping dry feet when launching :confused:

The bow eye seems to have a lot of distance from the pulpit how tall is your winch OR a picture of your setup my help to understand better

douglee25

Seaman Apprentice

The bow eye seems to have a lot of distance from the pulpit how tall is your winch OR a picture of your setup my help to understand better

Here is my setup. You can see how the anchor roller will interfere when coming off the trailer.

Doug

Attachments

• DSC05336 x2.JPG
    DSC05336 x2.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Sorry about that! But my comments then apply to the other Gents setup. That bar will not stop forward and upward movement of the boat. With no triangulation on that bar it will act to push the boat upward. In your case, perhaps rather than modifying your trailer, modify the anchor roller bracket so it can be pivoted up and out of the way during launch. You don't have much choice on the steepness of the ramps you use so the only option is modify the trailer or the bracket.

douglee25

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about that! But my comments then apply to the other Gents setup. That bar will not stop forward and upward movement of the boat. With no triangulation on that bar it will act to push the boat upward. In your case, perhaps rather than modifying your trailer, modify the anchor roller bracket so it can be pivoted up and out of the way during launch. You don't have much choice on the steepness of the ramps you use so the only option is modify the trailer or the bracket.

I would agree with you about modifying the bracket. I stared at the setup last night and I was thinking of cutting the bow roller flush with the top of the winch mount. I would then extend the resulting posts on the roller, move the winch stand further towards the brake actuator, and then I would pin the roller onto the lower portion of the remaining bracket so that it could swing up and over the winch.

Doug

douglee25

Seaman Apprentice

Well I looked at the setup again and I need to move the winch back about 10 inches. Basically I need to move it to the back side of the winch post, then fabricate a way for the bow roller to pivot up and out of the way. Any other ideas?

Doug

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Show us a picture of the anchor roller from above and how it is mounted.
Maybe a whole lot easier to swing that some to one side or the other instead.

You last idea makes me imagine the winch stand digging into the fiberglass as it floats off.

douglee25

Seaman Apprentice

Show us a picture of the anchor roller from above and how it is mounted.
Maybe a whole lot easier to swing that some to one side or the other instead.

You last idea makes me imagine the winch stand digging into the fiberglass as it floats off.

I know what you mean. It's one of those 6 1/2 dozen and the other deals.

I don't have a picture from above, but this is what the anochor roller looks like. I didn't want to go hacking the roller up right away because the damn thing is expensive!! :eek::eek: I just had another idea looking at this pivoting roller (also shown below). What if I modified mine so that I could just remove it with a pin and reinstalled it when underway?

Doug

Edit: 3 screws secure the anchor roller to the bow. I also just read a detailed description on Lewmar's site on the pivoting roller. If you look at the picture there is a second set of holes closer to the roller which makes it adjustable. I'm assuming there is a bolt that can be moved. I could replace the bolt with a locking ball pin. This looks promising.

Attachments

• anchor1.jpg
    anchor1.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 0
  • anchor2.jpg
    anchor2.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 0

GatorMike

Ensign

I'm only 2 years too late with this post but a lot depends on how far you back down the ramp. My boat has a pulpit and if I submerge the wheel wells the pulpit comes up under the winch. If I do not submerge the fenders the pulpit comes up over the winch.

douglee25

Seaman Apprentice

I'm only 2 years too late with this post but a lot depends on how far you back down the ramp. My boat has a pulpit and if I submerge the wheel wells the pulpit comes up under the winch. If I do not submerge the fenders the pulpit comes up over the winch.

Yeah, it took me a couple times to figure that out. I dealt with trailering it for the 1st year. That was enough to convince me that it was much easier to keep it in a slip. I can't believe this season is already over! Argh!

Doug