Trailer Spindle Replacement

bgtony1

Cadet
Hi everybody,

Can anyone tell me how to remove the spindle on my trailer. (See the link to the pic) It's on my single axle factory Stratos Trail trailer. It's a 95 model with hydraulic surge brakes. It appears to me there is a locking ring or something at the base of the spindle. Is that what it is? Is it threaded in? There is nothing holding on to it from the backside.

I brought this trailer with my boat on it up from AL to WI a few weeks ago. I noticed the brakes didn't work very well but my 02 Dodge Ram 2500 stopped it without a wimper. To make a long story short. While trailering back from the boats maiden voyage, a few blocks from home, my son noticed the grease cap fly off and go rolling down the road. I stopped and noticed the bearing was wasted. As in, the hub was resting on the spindle.

After a slow drag home. I jacked up the trailer in my driveway. I zipped off the lug nuts and was able to pull the hub off the spindle without tools:eek:

There was old dried up grease completely packed everywhere on the inside of the wheel. The brake drum was completely packed with grease. Unbelievable!
A lesson to everyone. Don't believe it when the guy says, "I have it serviced every year"!

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2806459320097072010hUzQxn?vhost=good-times

Thanks in advance.
Tony

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer Spindle Replacement

Nice bass boat Tony. Dang lucky it went when it did. Every trailer spindle (axle, not torsion) I have ever seen was welded on. Looking at your photo, I am not so sure you need to replace it at all. Maybe polish the journals a little.

rndn

Commander

Welcome to the forum. I agree with the above post, it may be okay to use. Just because they had it serviced, doesn't mean it was done right!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What you think is a locking ring is the brake backing plate locating tabs that position the brake backing plate when its installed. The spindle is welded on. It appears the bearing journals are not beat up so I too see no reason to replace the spindle. Clean it up, and buff the journals with some fine emery cloth and go.

Since this is a torsion axle, look on the back side of the swing arm. Some of the torsion axles used a bolt on spindle. You remove the nut, pull the spindle and stick in a new one. Due to the age, I doubt this one is made that way.

bgtony1

Cadet

Thanks alot guys.

That's what I was afraid of. The diameter that the inner bearing rides on is somewhat loose fitting now. What was left of the race had been rotating and feels like there is too much clearence caused from it spinning on the spindle.

I haven't tried the new bearing on it to see if I'm correct but we'll see tonight.

I know after preloading the bearing when it's assembled will cause the bearing to be forced towards the center of the trailer against the shoulder but it still can't be sloppy on the diameter.

I'll let you know what I find as soon as I get another bearing. Thanks again.

Tony

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If it is indeed a sloppy fit you need a new spindle and unfortunately if its not a "removable" spindle, you may need to replace the axle as welding on the swing arm may hurt the rubber in the axle.

AXLE1012

Recruit

The bearing journal doesn't look like it got beat up bad. Just make sure that you polish it with a very fine sand paper because there is a certain smoothness on that area. The reason why I know this is because I am working in an axle plant and we will generally use a very fine sand paper, even an emory cloth to clean them out if, for some reason, the bearing journal was too big.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

If the race is slightly loose on the spindle you can use Loctite's Mataloy to build it up sucessfully for a trailer bearing.

I have not used it for this application, but I have used it for a fan bearing on a paint drying oven and it worked quite well. The fan bearing runs at 240 degrees F 24-7. When the fan is down the factory looses $12,000 an hour.

After 10 years of use the repair still is good and it has had three sets of bearings put on it. I would not hesitate to put it on a spindle of mine if it were in the loading limits stated by Loctite.

If you want to weld a new spindle on a Torflex or similar axle, it can be safely done if you submerge the arm in water and leave only the part you are welding on in the dry. This keeps the rubber from heat damage.

Around my section of the country, a bunch of the stock trailers use Torflex and a bent spindle is common. Pastures can create them you know! Replacing the spindles on them is a good moneymaker for our welders.

It may not be worth the repair if the the axle is older(5 years or more) as they have a definite lifespan. That is one reason I prefer standard springs or old fashion torsion bar suspensions. Steel ages much better.

bgtony1

Cadet

If the race is slightly loose on the spindle you can use Loctite's Mataloy to build it up sucessfully for a trailer bearing.

EC,

That's a great idea, I've heard of that before.

Unfortunately, I test fit a new bearing on it today. I found that although the spindle looks fine from the top, it's got about .100 inch deep X .450 inch wide groove worn in it underneath. It's scrap.

I think my only option is to have the entire axle replaced. I have a couple places within 30 miles from me I can try to have it fixed at. I think it will be fine if I throw it back together just to get it to a shop.

What's involved? Would they just cut off the internals and weld in the new torsion portion with the spindles? Or just cut off the entire suspension with the housing that attaches to the trailer frame?

Will I have to get the boat off to have the work done? I guess it'll depend on where I take it.

Thanks for the help!

Tony

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

If it were mine, I would go ahead and replace the entire assembly. It is a 13 year old trailer and torsion axle assemblies are not that expensive. This can be done with the boat on the trailer. Just my $.02.

bgtony1

Cadet

If it were mine, I would go ahead and replace the entire assembly. It is a 13 year old trailer and torsion axle assemblies are not that expensive. This can be done with the boat on the trailer. Just my $.02.

I got a couple quotes today during my lunch break. $450 for the assembly and 1-2 hrs labor. The only thing is most everybody I spoke to said 3-4 weeks to get it in.

I think I might buy it outright and do it myself. It's only held in with 4 welds about 8 inches long. And there out in the open with no obstructions in the way.

Plus my Dad is a TV repairman so I have access to plenty of tools.;)

Tony