Moving a boat aroud the garage?

Geo2008

Banned
Hi friends

Well I just got back from a 1000 mile round trip to get my boat, whew.

I knew it was going to be a tight fit in the garage and I was right, it took some negotiating but it is inside now, safe and sound.:)

My question is, is there a device for moving a boat & trailer around the garage without a vehicle? Maybe like a special hand truck sort of device, either manual or with a small motor.

Geo

ebry710

Ensign
Re: Moving a boat aroud the garage?

Yes, I have a little two wheel dolly that has a tow ball mounted on the top. Works great. I got it at Harbor Freight.

I use to use a furniture dolly under the jack before I bought that and just push the trailer around.

On my trailers though I usually retrofit with a pivoting, swivel wheel.

All work. :)

reelfishin

Captain

I just use an old garden tractor, I moved the axle back on a trash picked tractor from Dynamark about 15 years ago and it's been a life saver ever since. You would be amazed at what one of those things will haul! I've moved my triaxle equipment trailer around the yard and moved several fairly large campers all over with it. I've even taken a 24' enclosed trailer down the road to a neighbors yard with it with very little trouble. (Just don't count on the brakes doing much when pulling a stunt like that).

ebry710

Ensign

Welcome to iboats!
Here is a link to Harbor Freights trailer dollys.

Yep, thats the one. Moves boat trailers easily if you keep tire inflated. Although, a tractor would be real nice. :):)

ebry710

Ensign

That is what I have on my trailers. Swing up wheeled jacks.

Geo2008

Banned

Yep, thats the one. Moves boat trailers easily if you keep tire inflated. Although, a tractor would be real nice. :):)

I tried one of the dollys and have decided to get a good used lawn tractor and put a hitch on the front.

The question is "what horse power is needed to push around my rig?"

I am thinking trailer, boat, and motor should be around 2000 lbs.

Would this garden tractor get the job done?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/623299344.html

Thanks everyone!

Geo

Attachments

• 02a.jpg
    02a.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0

cbavier

Lieutenant

Welcome to iboats!
Here is a link to Harbor Freights trailer dollys.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=trailer+dolly

Cbear: Do you think that heavy Duty trailer Dolly would handle a 4,000 Lbs boat and trailer? I too have the swing down tongue wheel jack and it's a bear for one person to move my boat by hand even on cement. On grass forget it. I see it says 600 LBs tongue weight. I'll bet my tongue weight is closer to 900 Lbs. I weighed at the scales at 3,980 Lbs.

Geo2008

Banned

Cbear: Do you think that heavy Duty trailer Dolly would handle a 4,000 Lbs boat and trailer? I too have the swing down tongue wheel jack and it's a bear for one person to move my boat by hand even on cement. On grass forget it. I see it says 600 LBs tongue weight. I'll bet my tongue weight is closer to 900 Lbs. I weighed at the scales at 3,980 Lbs.

I see that you were asking cbear but let me tell you from recent experience that it is does not really roll any easier with the dolly, the biggest advantage I found from the dolly is that you actually have a handle to push or pull but it does not change the fact that you are moving such a heavy weight.

I bought one and will be returning it this week, I just can't afford to mess up my back.

Geo

cbavier

Lieutenant

Thanks Geo. That's what I thought so that's why I haven't ever bought one. I've had two back surgeries so am I'm pretty cautious about what I do or how I do it. It's safe to pull but I must be very careful what I push.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

The tongue weight should only be around 300 to 600 max.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I tried one of the dollys and have decided to get a good used lawn tractor and put a hitch on the front.

The question is "what horse power is needed to push around my rig?"

I am thinking trailer, boat, and motor should be around 2000 lbs.

Would this garden tractor get the job done?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/623299344.html

Thanks everyone!

Geo

That should be big enough if it is hydrostatic drive and the hitch is on the back. If it is on the front the front tires are small, will sink into the ground easier and might get overloaded. And the rear axle will be "unloaded" and not get the traction needed to move anything on the front hitch.
Mine is a 38 year old 12hp Cub Cadet and I move a 4000lb rig around the yard. I would reccommend adding a 2" receiver tube hitch and use a drawbar that places the ball at the same height as your regular tow vehicle.
Most lawn tractor hitches are so low the trailer can't get that low.

Attachments

• Cub2.jpg
    Cub2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 0

cbear34

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cbavier
I am not actually sure. I have seen these in the Harbor Freight catalog. I have a wheeled swing up jack and can easily roll my boat around the garage. My garage floor is smooth and coated and my boat only weighs around 2000 lbs.

reelfishin

Captain

My tractor is only a low end 12 hp Dynamark, made by Noma, the same people that make Sears tractors. I trash picked mine years ago and it's absolutely amazed me at what it will move. Forget the front hitch, you will not only overload the front tires but the steering on most garden tractors won't take it for long and you will have no traction. I just sit sideways and maneuver as needed. I've actually considered turning the seat sideways but just never bothered. I also use it to pull a small yard cart around. I've used that tractor to move triaxle equipment trailers. I've been most amazed that I haven't yet broken the rear axle with all the weight I've had on it. The back of my seat if pretty banged up from it rearing up trying to move stuck trailers, but it's always got it done, even if I've had to stack weight up on the hood to keep the front end down. Mine even had those small rear tires, maybe 10" overall. I just bolted the smallest ball in the rear hitch hole, the tongue weight has always held the trailers down. Don't be too picky in finding a tractor if all you plan to do is move trailers. Pretty much anything that runs and starts and moves under it's own power will work. I've even used rear engine mowers before with no problems. If your running on soft dirt or have steep inclines, a larger tire machine would be better. None of them have much for brakes, but they don't go very fast. Hydrostat solves that problem as well. I have four garden tractors here, with two being converted for doing odd jobs like moving trailers and pulling things around. One is a huge MTD with a 20hp twin cylinder and hydrostat drive, the problem with that one is that it don't turn as sharp or fit into tight spaces as does the smaller, lesser quality belt drive tractor. Even when wet, I've never had a problem with belt slippage and the belt is over 15 years old. The only thing I wish it had was manual recoil start, that way I wouldn't have to buy a new battery for it every few years. Mine has sat outdoors since I got it back in the late 80's, it's held up fine other than faded paint and a trashed seat. If I ever get around to it, I will fill the rear tires with antifreeze to add some rear weight too. I also tossed the decks on both pulling machines. They tend to get hung up on roots and stumps in my yard. (The first machine came to me with a slightly damaged deck, after a few dates with some roots and stumps, it was a ball of scrap tin dragging underneath).

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have seen several that are converter tillers. i agree that your tongue is too heavy, 400 - 600 is optimum for that load. you are tongue heavy. can you move the boat back a couple of inches. it should be on a tandem axle trailer and that makes them that much harder to move. because the tires have to side when you turn the boat.

bekosh

Lieutenant

My FIL has one of those Harbor Freight Handtrucks. It works great for moving smaller boats around in his barn, the biggest being an 18ft Four Winns with a single axle trailer.

My 21ft Wellcraft with dual axle trailer on the other hand.:eek: No way. We use a garden tractor (20hp Craftsman) or one of our trucks for that. There is no way to turn that heavy of a dual axle trailer with a hand cart.

IMO the manual hand trucks are good for single axle trailers up to 18-19ft.
More than that and you need power.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you considered a front mount hitch for your tow vehicle? They cost around $120, which compares quite favorably to a used lawn tractor.

I put a front mount hitch on my full size, crew cab long box and believe you me it is a life saver for pushing the boat up the driveway and angled just so in my garage. I can literally turn that trailer on a dime.