Trailer Ball Lock?

16Footer

Recruit
I can lock my trailer to the ball and lock my draw bar to the hitch but how do you lock the ball to the bar when it has a nut anyone can remove?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer Ball Lock?

Stop at a welding shop and have them tack weld the nut to the drawbar.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

okay if you need to go that far then you need to address the two bolts that hold the coupler to the trailer tongue.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

As well as the nut under the coupler that adjusts the yoke. All of these can be spot welded.

16Footer

Recruit

Thanks to all for your reply!

Welding the ball nut will sure do the job permanently.
I have a class 2 hitch and have not seen a threeway receiver for it.
Getting a Trailer Guardian is another good solution.

I have just though of another solution: Loctite Red

Threadlockers
Loctite? Threadlocker Red

High temperature, high strength for heavy duty applications

Designed for larger fasteners 3/8" to 1" (9.5mm to 25mm)

Locks studs, bushings and large fasteners against vibration loosening

Strengthens slip and light press fits

Removable with heat and hand tools

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

If you are trying to deter theft of your boat or trailer snap a padlock on one of the safety chains. If you are trying to keep your ball from being stolen this obviously won't work.

DougV>

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If you're trying to deter trailer and ball theft, I don't think Loctite Red will do it, it comes off with hand tools. I like all the spot welding options on all the nuts in question.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A word of caution here. If you are having any electric welding done your vehicle or trailer, know that it's a risky process as it can blow every bulb in the rig and since the vehicle has an ECM (a very expensive one at that) welding could take it out as well. Remove the draw bar to have the ball welded. Then remove all the bulbs from the trailer before welding. Just ask me how I know.

ebry710

Ensign

If you are trying to deter theft of your boat or trailer snap a padlock on one of the safety chains. If you are trying to keep your ball from being stolen this obviously won't work.

DougV>

Every time you weld something permanent to your truck that is something else you cannot fix later. As djvan said chain or cable your rig to your truck. It will deter thieves.

A determine thief takes what he/she wants. Portable torches and battery sawzaws make short work of tongue locks.

Wheel locks (like the police use) along with lug nut locks do work if theft during parking is the problem. They are real hard to cut.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I have acetylne and electric welding equipment. I weld for fun not professional at all, but have these 2 comments on the above:

I'm surprised that electric welding will blow your lights as the voltage is so low and the bulbs are not in the circuit but if it's happened to you then obviously it can happen... Maybe it's in the arc... (or are you sure the trailer didn't get hit by lightening just after you had it welded! :)

And as for wheel locks, I can't say I've tried but I'd be surprised if my acetylne torches could not cut them off as I've never hit anything I haven't been able to cut with the cutting head on it... but y'never know till you try... :)

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The trailer guardian comes with a lock.

16Footer

Recruit

You need to heat first before you can remove a Red Loctited nut with a hand tool. Without heat someone might get the nut a little loose but then the ball will spin with the nut making it difficult to remove with the trailer coupled to the ball. I agree welding does the best job but it is permanent.

ebry710

Ensign

I have acetylne and electric welding equipment. I weld for fun not professional at all, but have these 2 comments on the above:

I'm surprised that electric welding will blow your lights as the voltage is so low and the bulbs are not in the circuit but if it's happened to you then obviously it can happen... Maybe it's in the arc... (or are you sure the trailer didn't get hit by lightening just after you had it welded! :)

And as for wheel locks, I can't say I've tried but I'd be surprised if my acetylne torches could not cut them off as I've never hit anything I haven't been able to cut with the cutting head on it... but y'never know till you try... :)

The torch is the universal key, along with saw zaws, grinders and backhoes. :)

I am thinking you would stand out like a sore thumb though if you torched in a boat parking lot or at night. I would also think that torching around tires would be quite interesting.

jayboy73

Seaman Apprentice

I met a guy recently via email that had lost his pontoon boat trailer to crooks. He had chained it to a tree. They cut the tree down, was really too small anyway.

Been thinking on how best to secure my new trailer which I will park in a subdivision on the back of my lot, about 180' away from the house. I think if I were after a trailer/boat the tongue locks would not really deter anyone. I believe that I could tow a loaded trailer off by just throwing a heavy rope or chain around the tongue and lifting it a little to clear the ground and drive to a more secluded area to cut it off.

My conclusion is one of those heavy duty sheathed cables though the wheel cutouts and around the trailer chassis would be a better deterrent. Of course we know that this is only good for the amateur crook. I saw one of the cables at Cabala's yesterday for about $35. They told me to also look at what Home Depot carries for securing equipment on the job site. HD on my list for Thursday.

Of cousrse for parking in a busy public area for short term (for lunch or something) I'll probably get one of those locks that mount up in the receiver for the convenience of it.

ebry710

Ensign

I agree. Locking the wheels is the key. Outside of ladder locks Home Depot is hit and miss. Your travel trailer and boat shops are good along with motorcycle shops.

I also think you need a motor lock if you have a outboard.