Fix a Flat and trailer tires?

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was was wondering if anyone has tried fix a flat with a trailer tire. I understand its not a permanent fix but will it get you out of a jam?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Fix a Flat and trailer tires?

A tire is a tire so yes it will work but tire guys hate the stuff, if it is a slow leak get it fixxed right and be done with it, but ya, if you get back to the launch and you have a flat your options are limited to use that or spend the night.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

buy a spare, there cheap. read the can on fix a flat. the tire has to be driven +- 50 miles to get the stuff to coat the inside, and solidify, if not when you stop it all runs to the bottom. you end up with a glob of goo, in the bottom of the tire, which throw it out of balance, only cure is to dig it out, or a new tire.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I'm with Tashasdaddy on this 100%. First thing I bought for my trailer was a spare rim and tire before we went anywhere beyond the 5 miles to get the boat home from where we bought it. Amazing just how cheap it works out to be if you shred one on the highway. I actually have 2 spares now. I found another one at a yard sale for $5.00 admittedly this one is not in the greatest of shape but I take both on any long trips just in case.
Keep away from any of the "instant fix" tire repairs in my opinion.

Bondo

Staff member

I understand its not a permanent fix

Ayuh,....

It's Not a permanent Fix,....
But,....
It Permanently destroys the tire...... As it's next to Impossible to properly repair the tire, after the Crap has been put into the tire.... Regular tire Glue won't stick anymore......
As noted above,..... Buy a Spare Tire.....

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

I have used this stuff in many tires. (lawn and construction equipment) I have never had a issue with this stuff. Works 100% for me and when getting a tire serviced i have never had a tire guy complain about it. I was even recomended that green slime stuff. At the minimum i still woul carry a can it comes in handy for low tires etc. Gets you up and going quick.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I have used this stuff in many tires. (lawn and construction equipment) I have never had a issue with this stuff. Works 100% for me and when getting a tire serviced i have never had a tire guy complain about it. I was even recomended that green slime stuff. At the minimum i still woul carry a can it comes in handy for low tires etc. Gets you up and going quick.

Better than a spare ????

ebry710

Ensign

There it a tire repair kit you can get at any auto parts store. It is what they use at tire stores. It comes with a reamer to increase hole diameter. Then strands of rubber, rubber glue, an insert needle and instructions. It is not hard and it is permanent.
I do agree with everyone who said it though, buy a spare. This might be a thread hole, but sidewall holes or thread separations cannot be fixed with anything but a spare.

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good morning,

A loooong time ago, when I was 18, I worked in a tire store / garage for a year. I can tell you that fix a flat, or the like, is an acid based liquid that is designed to "eat" the tire's rubber inside. The gel that is created oozes into the leak area and seals it.

We HATED fixing or dismounting these tires. It's always a friggin' mess. Usually, somebody would pump two cans of the stuff into the tire in desperation, and it makes a caustic nasty mess.

However, over time, the tire will absorb the acid (basically it gels the whole mix) and stabilize.

Realize that you have compromised the tire's inner wall integrity using these products. As was mentioned, you can buy the tire repair plugs at any auto parts store. I use them all the time. It's a rubber plug, or rubber coated rope plug, some rubber cement, a reamer (like a file) and an driver. You can (I do) modify the driver by clipping the eyelet a bit so that it won't hook the plug when you pull it out.

If the leak is from a puncture, (nail, screw, I've even seen a stick puncture) then remove the item if it's still in there. Take the reamer, coat it with the rubber cement, and stick it into the puncture. "Ream" the hole out with a back and forth motion until it moves easily. Then, take a plug, insert it midway into the driver (like a "T") and then coat it with the rubber cement. Jam the thing into the puncture (there will be both ends of the plug sticking out.) Push it down a fair way, but leave at least 1/4" of the plug sticking out. Rotate the driver a quarter to half turn, and pull it out. Inflate the tire. Done! The plug end that is sticking out will flatten and wear off quickly.

For bead leaks...you can spend the bigger dollar and buy rim seal compound, but it's just simple rubber gasket. I actually use 100% silicone for bead repairs. Clean the rim of rust or corrosion, and make a smooth bead on it. You don't have to completely dismount the tire to do this. Break the bead off the rim, push it down to expose the leak area and do the repair. Inflate the tire and it'll seal it. Butyl rubber caulk works very well too.

That job, and what I learned about tires, has more than paid me back year after year. It was dirty hard work, but what I learned hass saved me time and again! ;)

My best,

James

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I have used the plug repairs as well and have found them very effective. But nothing beats a spare !!!

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BTDT I agree with Bond-o

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There it a tire repair kit you can get at any auto parts store. It is what they use at tire stores. It comes with a reamer to increase hole diameter. Then strands of rubber, rubber glue, an insert needle and instructions. It is not hard and it is permanent.

Do not repair any tire with this method unless you are going to replace the tire anyway. Repairing a tire this way is a sure way of having belt seperation and tire failure down the road.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

So use it after the spare has let you down and you have run out of plugs !!!! and then replace the tire at the first oppertunity !!!

Seems to be the general opinion.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I bought a spare tire for the trailer early on, and I realized later that the bolt pattern is the same as that on my Jeep, so in a pinch I could use the spare from the Jeep as well, for short distance (not a trailer tire, but rated for enough load).
Makes you wonder why no one has come out with run flat tires for trailers, probably wouldn't work with the high aspect ratios on trailer tires (tall sidewalls) but sure would be a lot safer in some situations if it were technically possible. 'Course then we'd get into complictions like cars have now, with tire pressure monitoring systems, and all that.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I bought a spare tire for the trailer early on, and I realized later that the bolt pattern is the same as that on my Jeep, so in a pinch I could use the spare from the Jeep as well, for short distance (not a trailer tire, but rated for enough load).
Makes you wonder why no one has come out with run flat tires for trailers, probably wouldn't work with the high aspect ratios on trailer tires (tall sidewalls) but sure would be a lot safer in some situations if it were technically possible. 'Course then we'd get into complictions like cars have now, with tire pressure monitoring systems, and all that.

Sounds like that could get even more confusing !!!! LOL

ebry710

Ensign

Do not repair any tire with this method unless you are going to replace the tire anyway. Repairing a tire this way is a sure way of having belt seperation and tire failure down the road.

Bruce58 and I come from different points of view. Some of use us our "do-it-yourselfers" and will use the Campbell Hausfield (or other brand) method of tire repair and other the Michelin mans way. Although we all gain information from many sources, I though I'd quote Campbell Hausfield and Michelin Tire Company to address repairing a tire. :)

Both companies use tire plugs to repair tires. Neither company talks about throwing away a tire or using it as a spare just because of a puncture. Michelin does require you use a qualified Michelin man and not to use a after market tire repair kit. They also use a plug in conjunction with an inside patch. I quoted their web sites just for some good reading.

FYI thread separate is usually caused by improper tire pressure, a worn or damaged tire or exceeding tire design. Warranties for tires are not voided with the repair of a puncture, but they are voided if you are not a qualified and trained person.

HOW TO CORRECTLY PLUG A TIRE
Campbell Hausfield Website: Manufacture of Tire Repair Kit

* Remove object that caused the puncture (hole must be smaller than 1/4")
* Insert rasp tool into the hole and slide up and down to both roughen and clean inside of the hole.
* Remove protective backing from plug and coat plug with cement.
* Use insertion tool to push plug into the hole allowing 1/2" of the plug to be exposed.
* Pull insertion tool out with a rapid motion (do not twist when pulling out)
* Cut-off excess plug flush with the tire treads.

SAFETY TIP - If tire tread depth is less than 2/32", than the tire cannot be repaired, it must be replaced.

There is a good chance that your tire can be repaired if:

Michelin Website
1. The tire has not been driven on when flat
2. The damage is only on the tread section of your tire
3. The puncture is less than ?"

However, you need to have an authorized tire retailer or technician remove the tire from the wheel and inspect the tire from the inside. This inspection is absolutely necessary because internal damage is not visible while the tire is mounted.

The proper way to have a tire repaired is to patch the tire from the inside and fill the puncture hole. If someone offers you a plug repair, refuse! Plug repairs do not involve taking the tire off the wheel for a proper inspection. A plug is simply inserted into the punctured area. Plug repairs are not reliable and can lead to tire failure. Insist on a full inspection and patch and fill repair on the inside of the tire.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bruce58 and I come from different points of view.

Plug repairs are not reliable and can lead to tire failure. Insist on a full inspection and patch and fill repair on the inside of the tire.

I guess we agree then?

http://www.dunloptires.com/care/repair.html

This is what the US Department of transportation NHTSA says:

Tires must be removed from the rim to be properly inspected before being plugged and patched.

This from a tire warranty page:

Repairs must fully seal the interior and fill the damage wound. You must use either a
patch-plug combination, or separately fill the wound with rubber and put a patch in the
interior, to ensure that neither air leaks out nor water enters the tire structure.
Repairs must be done from inside the tire, to ensure the tire is thoroughly inspected
for secondary damage and the tire is properly sealed. DO NOT USE PLUG REPAIRS
APPLIED FROM OUTSIDE THE TIRE WITHOUT DEMOUNTING.

I actually used to use those "patch from the outside" kits. That is until I had a complete tread seperation after using one.

rocket1968

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I carry both, but the fix a flat is for the need to blow up the tire if the location of flat is not a good place to change the tire. On the side of an expressway will never see me changing a tire....ever.

ebry710

Ensign

I guess we agree then?

http://www.dunloptires.com/care/repair.html

This is what the US Department of transportation NHTSA says:

Tires must be removed from the rim to be properly inspected before being plugged and patched.

I actually used to use those "patch from the outside" kits. That is until I had a complete tread seperation after using one.

You have got to love these forums. I must say I learned more about tires from this forum then I could ever had imagine. To some it up.
1) buy a spare
2) don't use fix a flat
3) plugs may work, but they can also cause future tire problems
4) plugs should not be used unless you derim the tire
5) if you got to derim a tire then you might as well go to the authorized tire shop and let the technician do it:)

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heh heh...

Too funny. This debate is still alive! We used to get customers that would refuse a repair with plugs 25 years ago, and it appears the sentiment is still kicking.

I remember the sales person that sold the garage the plugs coming by with a tire, and a video (Yeah, I think it was a beta-max tape) showing a tire that had been punctured something like 100 times, and repaired with 100 plugs. They ran the tire for 20 thousand miles with no ill effects.

I do agree that it depends on the puncture wound. If you take a nail or screw, or run over a sharp piece of angle iron, of course these are different. I have used tire plugs on many, many tires, and never suffered ill effects. Tread separation is caused by running the tire flat, overheating it, or a poor bond on a retread. Plugs WILL NOT cause tread separation. Sorry.

As far as belt separation, same applies. Belt separation is usually caused by hitting a sharp angled object like a curb, deep pothole, or the like. Running a tire over it's load capacity can cause catastrophic failure from heat and belt separation. A plug simply "spreads" a few of the strands in the belt. Actually the puncture does this, and yes, some steel in the belt may have broken. Perhaps a few strands of it.

Is a repaired tire "good as new"? Of course not. Is it safe? Depends on the damage cause, amount of damage, and nature of repair. I will stand firmly on the fact that if you take a nail or screw or other small object that punctures the tire, a plug is a perfectly safe and effective repair.

Otherwise, your just an anal perfectionist, and you'd be better off buying a new tire. Heck, while your at it, buy a whole set. It'll let the rest of us purchase your used tires off the back room rack at a steep discount. :D

If plugs were what SOME people think they are, they wouldn't use them in repair shops, or even sell them for that manner. Again, it depends on the nature of the damage and the required repair. Don't EVER use a plug in a sidewall. A good rule of thumb is if the puncture is from a sharp small object, it's inside 1/2" from the tread edge (from sidewall) then it can be repaired using a plug.

My best,

JamesK