weight distribution hitch with anti-sway

HJ1

Cadet
Hi all. Im new to this website and new to towing as well.

I have a 24' cobalt bowrider that Im looking to tow. The trailer that I will be buying is here "http://www.loadrite.com/Boat_Trailers/Roller/25T5800TG2/41/"

At a Ford F150 forum that I frequent I was told that I'll need a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway. Can anyone recommend one for my setup. The total boat and trailer weight is about 7,000lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

tommays

Admiral
Re: weight distribution hitch with anti-sway

You will have to be carefull as MANY of that type hitch keep the surge brake couppler from moving freely resulting in poor trailer brake performance

I would also talk to Cobalt about the amount and location of support the boat needs to not be damaged on the trailer

Tommays

HJ1

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. This is the trailer recommended by the Cobalt dealer that I bought the boat from so I'm confident that its the right trailer. There are some good knowledgable people at the dealership.

Yes I've heard about some of these hitches with surge brakes. It's my understanding that its some hitches but not all. Thanks for pointing that out though.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Is your truck set up to tow that load. Engine, axle ratio, 2- or 4-wheel drive all plays into the tow rating. If you figure a minimum tongue weight of 5% that's a minimum of 350 pounds on the hitch as dead weight. Since that weight is behind the axle, it may cause considerable squat. If that's the case, you definitely need an equalizer but lightweight bars would be ok. There are lots of setups to choose from when it comes to anti-sway and yes, you must consider whether the setup will allow the trailers surge brakes to work properly. You apparently have faith in the dealer so talk with them about it. Perhaps they would hook you up to a similar rig for a quick round the block test. It won't take long to figure out if you need the equalizer or not.

HJ1

Cadet

Silvertip, thank you for the response.

Yes truck is a 2008 ford f150 S crew 5.4l triton 4x4 with 3.73 limited slip with tow package rated to 9300 lbs so I think Im ok there. When I'm towing, it'll just be me the truck and the boat, no gear or anything else. I think I have that part of it covered. Good idea about the dealer and a similar setup, I'll check that out. Thanks:)

Any recommedations on a specific weight distribution hitch would be appreciated.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

go here:
"http://www.etrailer.com/"

I like the "Pro Series SC" at $330
The descriotion also specifically say that it works well with surge brakes.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There are a couple weight dist hitches you can use with surge brakes, there are no anti sway that can be used, by definition anti sway keeping the hitch from traveling towards truck. You can go electric over hydraulic and solve all the problems. (better then surge anyhow)

HJ1

Cadet

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not an experienced tower so all these suggestions are really helpful. I read the following article about electric brakes.

"http://www.boatus.com/trailerclub/upkeep/electricbrakes.asp"

The article was very informative. I'm not sure how current it is though as it pretty much says that electric brakes arent all that common just yet on boat trailers. It appears that EZLoader is making electric brake boat trailers but I'm not sure who else is. I really like the idea of electric brakes. Does anyone have a boat trailer with electric brakes? If so, what kind and could you share your experiences? Again Mike, thanks for the info.:)

tommays

Admiral

There are electric brakes AND there is and Electric/hydraulic brake pump that runs the standard drum or disk brakes

The electric brakes have a marginal track record

The Electric/hydraulic brake pump system is the best thing you can buy BUT at 500 to 600 dollars not that common from the factory

Tommays

HJ1

Cadet

So who are the manufacturers making boat trailers with electric brakes and Electric/hydraulic brake pump that runs the standard drum or disk brakes? Anybody have these that can give some experiences?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have the electric/hydraulic on my trailer for a 24' Wellcraft that I tow with F-150. Here is a picture of the unti mounted on the front of the trailer. I use the Tekonsha Prodigy controller in the cab to control it.

brake.jpg

HJ1

Cadet

Thanks Bruce

Can you explain a little further? Did the trailer come with the electric unit or is it aftermarket? What manufacturer makes these trailers?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

You may look into the Reese Straight Line dual cam hitch system.Its the best i have ever used.It blows the friction type sway control away.It may take a little modification for a boat trailer though.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check the Hensley Arrow brand also.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Check your F150 owners manual before going with a WD hitch. It'll likely state the max tongue weight with and without the WD hitch. My Durango can handle 350 lbs without a WD hitch. My trailer tongue wieght is at about 600 lbs so I use a WD hitch. I imagine a pickup will handle much more tongue weight than a mid-sized SUV. My neighbor tows 7000 lbs of Kubota tractor and 16 foot flatbed with his 2004 F150 and no WD hitch. Squat is not a problem at all.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The electric/hydraulic unit that I have installed is aftermarket. I took out the master cylinder in my surge unit and put large bolts in it to keep it from sliding.

coupler.jpg

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I think virtually all boat trailer makers can build you a trailer with the electric over hydraulic as an option.
Your not likely to find a ready built trailer at a dealer with the option as it is more $$.
Even where brakes are required on a trailer, the dealers still sell trailers without brakes in order to sell boats.