Submersible Tail Lights

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer
Submersible tail lights on trailers sooner or later all seem to become big problems - especially in salt water. I've improved my chances somewhat with silicon grease on the contacts and exposed metal parts, but that doesn't last forever. What is the best submersible tail light on the market today? Any better longevity with LEDs versus good old incandescents?

D

DJ

Re: Submersible Tail Lights

Connections are usually the issue, as you mentioned.

I ALWAYS unplug mine so bulb issues are not there.

LED's are sealed. If I had a choice, I'd go LED.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Submersible tail lights on trailers sooner or later all seem to become big problems - especially in salt water. I've improved my chances somewhat with silicon grease on the contacts and exposed metal parts, but that doesn't last forever. What is the best submersible tail light on the market today? Any better longevity with LEDs versus good old incandescents?

Go with the LED's. But be sure to keep the reciept because the first set I bought did leak. I complained to the manufacturer and they sent me a new set for free. Also a different design than the first set. I ended up drilling a small hole in the bottom of the leaking set to drain out the salt water, and they have been good ever since! LOL! The new ones are still in the box.

Bondo

Staff member

Any better longevity with LEDs versus good old incandescents?

Ayuh,........... Absolutely..........

I've used a few sets of both "Trucklite",+ "Grote",..........

Their Potted in Plastic,...... Nothing to Leak..........
But,......
As DJ notes,...... You then have to spend your time chasing Wiring Connections.....

The LEDs are Very Ground Sensitive...........

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i mount mine high on top of guide ons. continuous wiring.

Willyclay

Captain

After forty years of chasing bad grounds, replacing corroded contacts and just bad bulbs (China), I mounted my lights on a removeable board that I hold on with bungee cords. In addition, by using a continuous four-wire harness, bad grounds are a thing of the past. Should have done this years ago!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I too do as Tash, mounting my submersibles high on guide poles with continous wiring, they give you a sense of depth when putting your boat in the water and usually never get submerged. Hence less headaches.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My lights leak like crazy....but I unplug every time they are going to be submerged and let them drain for a while after coming out of the water. A little contact cleaner and then vaseline applied to the contacts twice a season and no issues to date. I am however not in salt water.
As stated in above posts. The best option is to not let them get in the water. High and dry is the way to go. When I eventually need to replace I will be taking that advice.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Sealed is the wrong approach ... they always leak at some point. Also, if you're not hung up on LEDs, Dry Launch lights work great, have zero maintenance and are affordable. I had them on an EZ Loader for over twenty years, zero bulb replacement, no grease, etc. and they always worked with 100's of saltwater trips. If you ever need to replace a lamp, the whole socket assy just slides down. Like all lamps, they are vulnerable to being cracked by sloppy backing, etc.

See http://www.drylaunch.com/
701/702 series.

Not pretty, but you can't beat 'em!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sealed is the wrong approach ... they always leak at some point. Also, if you're not hung up on LEDs, Dry Launch lights work great, have zero maintenance and are affordable. I had them on an EZ Loader for over twenty years, zero bulb replacement, no grease, etc. and they always worked with 100's of saltwater trips. If you ever need to replace a lamp, the whole socket assy just slides down. Like all lamps, they are vulnerable to being cracked by sloppy backing, etc.

See http://www.drylaunch.com/
701/702 series.

Not pretty, but you can't beat 'em!

I have a pair of the 701's on my trailer. The ones that leak. Mind you they are 22 years old. Maybe get another 22 years !!!!

seabasser

Cadet

i use my boat commercially and launch 150 to 200 times a year, mount your lights to a 2x4 and use bungees rope or clamps, (whatever works best on your boat) to the stern of the boat. remove them and put them in the back of your truck when you launch your boat, you will have years and years of reliable service.

manofprawnz

Seaman

I had an issue with a boat/trailer combo where I would end up crushing my lights about every 4 or 5 outings. I found a solution at my local u-haul outlet. They had a set of magnetic mount lights for about $20. I contact cemented a couple of small metal plates to the fiberglass topside, about 1x2 inches, and just attached the lights, running the wire along the side of the boat. Worked great, never another blown bulb or bad ground.

I am now back to a conventional set-up again in salt water. Never seem to have a problem, just keep the bulb and connection in the housing well greased. As for connections to the main wire harness, I soldier the joints, give about 4 coats of liquid electric tape, works for me.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put a set of LED lights on my trailer 4 years ago and have not looked back, even when I bought them they were only about $40. Sure the regular incandescent are cheaper but if you buy a good set of LED's it is likely the last set of lights you will need to buy. They are brighter, last longer, do not put out as much heat and most are totally sealed (assuming they are assembled correctly like others have mentioned they have had problems).

If you mount them on top of your guide posts and they never get wet then incandescents are more than up to the task. I would just go with LEDs because they are far better in all aspects, just my opinion.

I can't wait until LED light bulbs for the house come down in price, they use even less energy than fluorescents, are lighter and last longer.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I've had both and have think the LEDs are a bit over hyped.

I had to replace both LED light assemblies after 5 years becouse too many of the individual LEDs had died. At $59 a set that's $12 a year.

On the other hand I had to replace the sealed lamp insert on one a set of Westbars after 5 years of salt service on the big boat. At $15 that's $3.00 per year