Question about tongue couplers...

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wanted to replace my coupler on my trailer beacuse it works like a piece of ***. I bought a new Reese one for 2" trailer balls from Wal-Mart. Now for my "rookie knowledge" to shine through- does it go INSIDE the trailer tube or ON TOP of the tube? The one that is on it now is inside but they crimped over part of the tube directly under it presumibly to help hold it in. It is bolted in with a single bolt/nut combo which appears to be 1/2" in diameter. The new coupler is obviously not going to fit inside so I was guessing it went on top. I'll probably need to cut off a few inches to clean up the end for mounting the new coupler. Would a Sawzall take care of it?

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Question about tongue couplers...

It goes on top; the sides should contact the tube as well. 2 bolts go right through, put your safety chains on the front one.
Sawzall will cut it, but try to save the extra 6" of length. A shorter tongue is harder to back up and adds a bit of weight to hitch.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Question about tongue couplers...

lowes sells a 'fire-rescue' sawzall blade that will go thru it like butter. i use them all the time on my trailers i rebuild. almost never wear out. usually bent so bad i change them.