Carlisle Radial Trail Vs. Goodyear Marathon

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer
Are either of these tires ok? What are your complaints or experiences with either of them?

The reason I ask is that I ordered 3 Goodyear Marathons for my trailer on Monday. Today I got in 3 Carlisle Radial Trail tires instead of the Goodyear Marathons. The dealer went ahead and GAVE me the 3 Carlisle tires for FREE while my Goodyears are now on their way. He said that whenever the Goodyear tires come in I can come pick them up. So, I got 3 free Carlisle tires for my trailer, but I want to know if they are as good a tire as the Goodyear Marathons.

Both tires I am comparing are ST205/75R14. From looking at the manufacturer's websites both tires have the exact same load rating of a Load C, and both can hold 1760 lbs. at 50psi.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carlisle Radial Trail Vs. Goodyear Marathon

There's a reason the Carlisles are free. You get what you pay for. I've had Carlisles blow ie: come apart at 100 miles new. Then the rest came apart later. I've also had Marathons and they are OK. Right now I'm running Titans and have moved up to 15" to get to a load range D.

The Carlisles will make a good spare, but IMO, I wouldn't run them.

tommays

Admiral

Well NOW that the Goodyears say made in China :eek: it is hard to have as much faith in there quality :confused: over any other tire

Tommays

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone else?

I've been reading on the internet where a lot of people in the past have had problems with the Carlisle tires. Is this a bunch of hokum, or should it be a warning? I haven't read anything that has been posted since 2005, so it there a chance they have upped their quality?

bubbakat

Captain

I just got through changing out three carlisles on my toon trailer and they had less then a thousand miles on them. I replaced with the good years and have run them before and will stay with them from now on.

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have carlisle tires 2 different trailers right now, and I've used them on many trailers in the past and can say I've NEVER had a problem with them.

That don't mean that they will not scatter all over the road tomorrow, but that's a chance you take with any tire on today's world.

But then again, I do keep a very close eye on tire pressure.

wncrjb

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

I think the consensus is that if you keep your tire pressures at the maximum amount specified then you are ok. People keep saying to buy Goodyear, which I have, but I will still run the Carlisles for a season or two.

The tire that I just took off from a blowout was a Goodyear Marathon. I think it's all in the way you take care of them, and not so much the tire. Sure, early on they may have had some issues, but not lately.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The most crtical thing about trailer tires is the age. Change them out at 5 or 6 years and you will minimize your problems.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i posted this about a year ago. the top to selling trailer tires are carlisle, and tow master. you here more complaints, as there are far more on the road than any of the other brands. the problem lies, in the care and maintainance of the tire. the trailer must be maintained, the axles and bearing so it tows correctly. the tire pressure must be as recommended, an the load rating not overloaded. the guy who just replaced tires at 1,000 miles, better have is trailer looked at. bent axle, # 1 cause of excessive ware.

with this said, it really doesn't matter the brand, it's the constant maintainance.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Tire pressure is the key for sure. I have about 800 miles on my cheap Loadmaster tires from Northern tool and they still have the nubs on them.
I have run Marathons in the past with good luck.
Some of our work trailers came factory with Carlisles on them,they lasted about as well as any other tires.Thats running with about 10k pounds on them at 80+ mph.At those speeds any brand of tire can blow out.We get paid to drive that fast...:D

reelfishin

Captain

I have Carlisle tires on nearly all of my trailers, I never had a problem. They hold up well and seem to last longer. They seem to be a harder compound than the Goodyear tires. Tire pressure is important, so is making sure your bearings are in good shape and not loose. A wobbly wheel bearing will also tear up a tire with time. I have one trailer that's been cross country several times fully loaded with no problems. The tires still look like new. The biggest enemy I've found is dry rot, I try to keep my tires covered when not in use.

I didn't choose the Carlisle tires, they just happened to be all that was available at the time here. They still are one of the more common tires. They are a good deal cheaper than the Goodyear tires here but the local Goodyear dealer is high on all tires, not just trailer tires.
They wanted $110 each for one Goodyear tire. I got new galvanized rims with Carlisle tires on them for $80 each.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i can get 205 14 D rated towmaster or carlisle at $70 each balanced and installed. Roberts tires, Beaver and Stockton Sts, Jacksonville, FL.

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't even get the G/Y tires since I only run a 12" rim (bias ply.) The tires on almost every set of new rims I look at have Carlise on them. Set them to the recommended PSI and run at 65MPH on the highway and not any faster.

I do keep a spare with me to defeat Murphy's Law. :D

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I use the solid rubber tires on my trailer. They dont hold any air they are just a solid rubber. There is a bladder on the rim that i can add air to but not like a standard tubeless tire. The tires weigh about 100 pounds each. These are 14.75 inch tires. I am going to have to get regular tires in the next year or 2 because the tire is getting close to the yellow line on the sidewall. There is also a red line on the sidewall closer to the center. Thats how you know you need to replace them verry soon.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

The previous owner said they were about 450 dollars a piece. He worked for a commercial tire supplier. I love those tires but I dont know where to get new ones and if i did find them im not going to pay 450 a piece. I have to get new rims too cause these are special rims for these tires.

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For what this may be worth? I just replaced my 6-7 year old Carlisle tires on my trailer. The tire dealer told me they stopped stocking Carlisle because their quality has slipped the last couple of years and had become prone to blow outs! He said what had once been the top trailer tire, Carlisle, is no longer! I now have a set of Tow Master radials on my trailer. I guess I'll see how these hold up!