Powerwinch RC23 installation

regjen

Cadet
All, I just picked up an electric winch and I want to make sure I am installing on the trailer correctly. Not exactly the hardware man but I can workout medium tasks. Does the wiring run to the boat battery or to the truck battery? Looking for the simplest installation procedures. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Powerwinch RC23 installation

Pull the Power from the Tow Vechicle........

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That wiring in the tow vehicle needs to be heavy gauge wire with a circuit breaker near the battery. Run the wire to the back of the vehicle and use any two conductor connector. Install the mating half of the connector on the winch power cable. Ground the truck side of the power cable to the frame or chassis.

Sorrento 25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine included the vehicle harness and breaker. A small battery could be mounted on the trailer too. If you need the connector make sure it is a heavy-duty one with at least 8 gauge wire.

Chris Hays

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Depends what vehicle your pulling with as some will be easier than others to connect. I know that the 03 to 07 chevrolet pickups, suburbans & tahoes have a prewired HOT wire in the trailer connector, it is the thickest wire back there, can't remember which one, but it gives a constant 12v to your trailer to power either travel trailer batterys or accesories such as in your application. All you have to do is install a maxifuse in the under hood fuse box to power it up. I think ford has the same kind of setup. If your winch was going to be a permenant fixture, then you could have it powered through the trailer socket harness and it would be a real clean install.

Sorrento 25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is exactly what I had hoped to do on my Titan in order to not have to have another harness and plug but that wire was puny on the Nissan. Very disappointing to me being the Nissan ***** that I am. :)