Problems with Four Winns trailer - coupler

djnsd

Recruit
Does anyone know some tricks for releasing a sticking surge brake style coupler from the ball hitch? This happens when the boat is parked nose down on a slightly sloped driveway. It loads fine and appears to unload ok on a flat grade. This is a 1991 dual axle trailer for a 200 Horizon. I had a Four Winns a few years ago and had similar 'pickey' problems with the coupler.

Thanks-

KM2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Problems with Four Winns trailer - coupler

I would chalk the trailer wheels and let the vehicle roll forward. This should take the forward pressure off the ball, allowing it to release.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is what I do, plus it insures the trailer tires are chalked properly before you disconnect.

Then release the ball lock, raise the trailer, and slightly back up the truck to fully release if it's still hanging on.

I would chalk the trailer wheels and let the vehicle roll forward. This should take the forward pressure off the ball, allowing it to release.

djnsd

Recruit

Thanks for the advice - that is basically what I used to do with my first boat. This trailer just hasn't been cared for very well, but I'll keep working on it.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Don't take this the wrong way, guys, but you had me confused for a minute. I had never heard of "chalking" trailer tires before and was going to ask you what it was and why you did it figuring it was to keep the tires from sticking to the asphalt or something, then I realized you meant "chocking" as in to block the tires from rolling and not using chalk on them and I wasn't confused anymore.:D

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

You mean everyone doesn't jack up their trailers and put chalk under the tires?

:)

rheyboer

Seaman

Maybe loosen the nut under the coupler latch a 1/4 turn. I used to go through heck getting the latch to release. When I park my trailer the tounge is in a little valley.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Or put a little grease on your ball.

jtm71

Cadet

He's totally right. Going forward will release it, if it is on an incline it can be a real *****!