Ideas on replacing bunk carpet.

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,
Well I want to re do the carpeting on my bunks. What are the coments on what to do, like varnishing them before install the new one, material to use, etc? Is there another way to do it without going to the lake, launch the boat and work in the trailer?

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Ideas on replacing bunk carpet.

You can always jack the boat up, move the trailer out from under the boat. Going to the water is faster.

I don't think varnish would be a great idea, it could trap IN more water than it keeps out.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
i by carpet runner 24" wide at HD, split it, if you have a staple gun, or i use galvinized roofing nails. it can be done at the ramp. cut your carpet before time, take a trash bag, for old carpet. if replaceing the bunks a battery drill is nice. launch the boat, pull over out of the way and go to work, don't forget the razor knife.

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool! so the regula staples should work? now it does have big screws with kinda gigantic washers.....

Juan.

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Use treated wood when replacing it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do not use regular staples..... Home depot carries stainless steel ones.

I replaced carpet on a old bunk trailed and used a box of stailess screws and washers. Held it great for years w/o problems.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........
Most of the Big Box Stores carry Monel, or SSteel Staples.........
Plain ole Steel Staples will Rot in a Year or so......

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

I did this last year with boat on trailer. Jacked one side up at a time, removed bunk and tore off old carpet. Used that carpet as a measurement for new. Went to HD and they cut two pieces to that size. Then bought treated lumber to replace and stapled carpet to it. Was going to go with cedar but thought it might not be as strong thinking I might break it if I hit it hard loading boat. Good luck, it was easier than I first thought. Now I know everything I'll need for the next time so I will just do it at boat launch.

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice! thanks for all the advice.....Now any details on how to jack the boat from the trailer?

Bondo

Staff member

Release the Straps, Ropes, Etc......
Put a Jack where you Need it, along with some Blocking,+ another piece of Wood to cushion the Jack/ Boat interface........
Jack Away.........