Subaru Forester for towing? UPDATE

Tyme2fish

Commander
I'm thinking of getting a Subaru Forester for the wife and wonder if it would be able to tow my 18ft Stratos bass boat. The Forster will have to be an automatic . The wife can't drive a shift. I'm guessing the boat, trailer, and contents weight around 3500lbs. I'm going to take the boat to a local scale and get it weighed. Any opinions out there? Thanks

OK, I got the boat weighed. Boat with all eqipment and a full tank of gas weighs 2,660lbs. Yep, the Forester won't tow. Thanks for the input.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Subaru Forester for towing?

That vehicle is rated to tow 2000 lbs.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your Subaru would be taxed severely at 2000 pounds much less 3500. That would be an accident looking for a place to happen. Then there is warranty issues. As a minimum you need a midsize pickup to tow that weight. Some mini-vans can handle 3000 but even thats a stretch.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Forester is a great little crossover SUV, but:

Tow rated for 2,000lb, max.

No low range in the tranny/transfer case.

No "towing package" of options to protect the drive train when towing.

I might tow my 15' Whaler with one. RED SKY weighs about 1200lb ready to launch.

If your guess of 3500lb is close, you need something rated for 5,000lb or more. That pretty much limits you to mid size trucks and utes or larger. Don't even think about a crossover vehicle, which is what the Forester is.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

NO,NO,NO,

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

And imagine what the insurance company would say if you had an accident: You were towing what ?? ??

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Subaru Forester for towing? UPDATE

Some of the AWD minivan's have enough towing capacity for your needs. None of the "mini" or "crossover" SUV's will do it either. Ranger/Colorado/Tacoma/Dakota will do it reliably along with most all midsize SUV's

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Subaru Forester for towing? UPDATE

Crossover, mini suv, ...blah blah blah.

Its a STATION WAGON WITH A TINY ENGINE, and a drivetrain and braking system the are not up to the job. Others are merely a "tall" car.

They only classify them as something other than a car, to get around some of the government requirements, and to make you feel more justified in the inflated price.