Converting Surge Brakes to Electric

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just picked up a 2009 Regal 2700 on a Heritage tandem axle trailer with surge control and discs on both axles, and am going to convert it to electric over hydraulic control to avoid any stress on slippery boat ramps and better braking control overall. I'd like to hear from those who have done this conversion and get their feedback with regards to products and lessons learned. I already understand the basics regarding the controller, breakaway with battery, etc. I have plenty of room around my tongue to mount everything and plan on getting a flex line with a female fitting to run the brake line from the old surge controller to the new electronic one. Truck controller will be the integrated trailer brake controller in a 2013 F150. Thanks in advance!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am not surprised no one has responded to your post yet since very few do this. I have the BrakeRite controller. Some built in brake controllers are not plug and play since some vehicle's brake controllers can't sense the Electric over hydrauloic controller. All that needs to be done in that instance is to add an electrical load at the trailer tongue. Yours might be OK. my 2018 Ford is fine.

You will need to add some bolts to your current coupler to keep it from sliding.

JasonB

Lieutenant
I did straight electric (I'm strictly freshwater) under my old bowrider (19' on a tandem trailer, 4400lbs towed load) and loved them. My "new" 22' aluminum deck on a single axle has surge and I'm not a fan, but I'm not going to convert them until I have to do a major rework anyway. if I'm in your shoes, I'm doing the EOH setup you described.