Surge Brakes

Rodgero

Recruit
Hi, My brother just got a 4500 pound boat load to pull and the trailer has Surge Brakes. Specifically Titan 60 ZX 7000
is the brand of the Surge Brakes. Level or downhill towing is no problem but backing up hills to park is impossible. Has anyone ever put holes in the surge brake trailer tongue and slipped a bolt in to temporary block the action of the brakes?
I used a block of wood and a strap last night which worked but a bolt might be easier to carry around.

scoflaw

Ensign
Sure that works. If you back up frequently the solenoid that belongs next to the master cylinder is a lot more convenient

alldodge

Staff member
Many of the surge brake actuators have backing lockouts, but your model does not. Either need the reverse acting solenoid and shield to protect it, or free backing brake shoes.

The solenoid requires it to be placed inline with the brake line from the master cylinder, then connect the electric to either the backup lights, or a manual switch.

The free backing shoes are designed to hold in mostly forward only, and only create a little drag in reverse

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you have disc brakes, you need the solenoid and the 5-pin harness (Blue is powered in reverse). most shoes are designed to be free-backing as AD mentioned.

Just checked, the Titan model 60 has an integral solenoid.

Rodgero

Recruit
I found a simple solution. I took two old bolts and put them through a hole already placed to keep the surge brakes from engaging the hydrolic actuator. It worked perfect.

Attachments

• photo286465.jpg
    photo286465.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • photo286466.jpg
    photo286466.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yes but when you pull into a gas station and get blocked and have to back up, in a busy parkinglot.... You want to jump out find bolts and put them in then jump back in the truck while two more soccer mom's have blocked you in even more? I'm all for a quick temp fix but do it right for long term happiness.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
since the solenoid is most likely there, why not simply wire the tow vehicle with the 5-pin and get them to work the way they are supposed to.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I found a simple solution. I took two old bolts and put them through a hole already placed to keep the surge brakes from engaging the hydrolic actuator. It worked perfect.

My solution as well until I found myself in a situation where I couldn’t move forward (to put spacer in) or back up the incline to get myself out of the situation.

Made it pretty easy to make the decision to send $30 and an hour of my time to remedy the situation

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Remember folks he's new to the forum and I remember my first forum asking about Bayliners....

So if we sound harsh our apologies - but yes short term fix is good; long term (correct) fix is great.

happy boating and welcome to the forum. Best one on the 'net and I belong to plenty.