Insufficien traction of dolly wheels...

Epicuros

Recruit
I have built a trailer mover (dolly) with a 12V DC motor (battery operated) and 40cm diameter trailer wheels. While this moves perfectly well alone, it does not have sufficient traction for moving a trailer boat (~2000 Kg of weight) on dirt ground. The wheels keep turning and digging into the soil. Any ideas on how to increase wheel traction, by using rough materials or chains, etc?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats.

I would try laying down a piece of plywood.
12" wide, by whatever length is convenient for you to transport and store.
1/2" thick should do.
2 or 3 pieces, each with a length of para cord attached for convenience.
Place one down, then another.
When dolly moves to the second, move the first ahead of it..
Maybe a piece that is wider, if you need to jockey into a tight spot.

??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Doest it move the trailer and boat on improved surfaces and you only have problems with it on dirt? If so, you may have to put pads like Roscoe mentioned under both the trailer and your dolly

As the trailer and dolley sink into soil, effectively making it like your pulling the trailer up a 5% grade all the time

You may not ever get enough traction to move a 2 ton boat/trailer combination in dirt. My boat and tandem trailer weigh about that, and if the trailer sits for more than a week on the side of the house the trailer sinks enough into the soil that i need to put my truck into 4 wheel drive to move it or I dig up the lawn.

ahicks

Captain
Agree with Scott. Moving that much weight on anything less than a hard, reasonably smooth surface is going to be nearly impossible with a hand held device.