Rollers or bunk?

Dipphoto

Cadet
So on this trailer it has 3 rollers that the boat rests on. The rollers are located under the keel. I have also noticed there is a lot of keel damage. I don?t know if it?s the rollers are from the owner before. I hVe only towed it once about 5 miles and never been on water (still repairing it). I?m wondering should I replace the rollers with bunks or use the rollers still? I know I should keep a roller at the very front. But on the mid and back section. I see there are conversion kits to go bunk.... I?ll be going out by my self and read bunks are also better for solo boaters. Any feed back or equipment that?s best to be used? The trailer has lots of rust so thinking of re-painting it. Also the lights are broken on it.....

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you saying that all it has are three single rollers down the middle? If so, it sounds like you're missing a lot of parts. What supports the rest of the hull? Without pics you leave room for a lot of questions. Main one being the style of boat you're gonna put on it. Depending on boat you may not even need the keel rollers, but just carpeted wood bunks or roller bunks on each side to cradle the bottom of the hull and thus supporting the boat.

ahicks

Captain
Those 3 rollers are generally used most when loading or unloading the boat. As the front of the boat is winched on, the keel area of the front of the boat goes from one roller to the next to keep the front of the boat centered. Once the boat is nearly fully loaded, then the weight of the boat starts resting on the bunks. When fully loaded, the transom of the boat should be fairly evenly supported by the bunks and rear roller.

If you have keel damage, unless it's toward the front, I doubt the rollers had anything to do with it. If the rollers were maintained as they should be, I can almost guarantee they didn't have anything to do with it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Ginger or Maryann? Ford or Chevy? Bud or Coors? You'll get the same opposite opinions if you discuss rollers or bunks. One thing for sure - NOBODY ever said bunks are better for a solo boater unless he read it on the internet. Certainly practical experience beats an opinion.

Dipphoto

Cadet
There are just 3 keel rollers. I?ll have to take pics maybe tomorrow as it?s stored at mother in laws. The boat is a 1931 sea swirl and the trailer is 1971 I think. I have 2 pics but says they are to big. I?ll see if I can find a way to shrink them on my phone.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
1931? Yes photos please. I have been told never a bunk trailer for wood or glass construction. I'll wait for some pictures, my ESPN isn't working tonight.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Those 3 rollers are generally used most when loading or unloading the boat. As the front of the boat is winched on, the keel area of the front of the boat goes from one roller to the next to keep the front of the boat centered. Once the boat is nearly fully loaded, then the weight of the boat starts resting on the bunks. When fully loaded, the transom of the boat should be fairly evenly supported by the bunks and rear roller.

If you have keel damage, unless it's toward the front, I doubt the rollers had anything to do with it. If the rollers were maintained as they should be, I can almost guarantee they didn't have anything to do with it.

What he said.^^^ Buy an LED light kit and some new rollers. If you have the pushed on clips holding on the rollers then be creative to tap them off without ruining them and tap them back on. You may want to wait until you can leave the boat in the water for a day to work on the trailer and check everthing over. Don't redesign the bunks and rollers unless it's way wrong.