Having trouble registering

at dorris

Cadet
Hey guys last year I bought a '88 bayliner capri omc boat the boat works fine and dandy but the trailer is hanging me up. So lets backtrack when I first got the boat and trailer it had no title for the trailer but I have a bill of sale. When I brought the boat and trailer back to my house I took it to the highway patrol to get it licensed as a "homemade" trailer because there was no title. While I was at the highway patrol I told the guy what I wanted to do and he said yeah no problem but there was a problem the vin on the trailer had came off because it was a sticker so the guy said he couldn't register It because it had no vin but a homemade trailer wouldn't have a com so it's now been a year later and when we want to take the boat out I have to use the plate off my camper which make me really nervous just wondering what I should don't

jbcurt00

Staff member
A state might be helpful

Might be as easy as going to a different location. Registering title-less, no VIN trailers isnt a frequent occurrence

Call the primary office resonsable for issuing boat trailer titles and ask whats required.

Its also possible you'll need to buy a new trailer, WITH
a title, some states arent easy to get titles if the boat/trailer didnt come w one.

Wouldn't suggest you continue using the wrong plate....

NYBo

Admiral
Yep, it all depends on the state. For example, where I live (NY), a trailer under 3,000# gross weight isn't titled. The process for registering a trailer as homemade is fairly vigorous, though.

briangcc

Commander
To add on...here in NY some trailers have transferable registrations and that is considered the "title" by the DMV. The previous owner should be able to come up with something like that IF in NY which should allow you to register it in your name.

boatman37

Lieutenant
I went through something similar after buying a boat/trailer in Ohio and trying to register it in PA. Boat was no trouble. Trailer had no title and no VIN (there was a VIN listed on the registration and statement of origin but not on the trailer itself). Had the manufacturer statement of origin and a bill of sale. Called the state DMV and was told to print out the form off their site and have a police officer sign off that it wasn't stolen then have a state certified enhanced inspection station verify weights. The statement of origin had the weights already listed and it was notarized so the station used those. After that I went to the notary and handed everything to them. About a month later I got my PA title.

bigdee

Commander
at dorris;n10518106 While I was at the highway patrol I told the guy what I wanted to do and he said yeah no problem but there was a problem the vin on the trailer had came off because it was a sticker so the guy said he couldn't register It because it had no vin but a homemade trailer wouldn't have a com so it's now been a year later and when we want to take the boat out I have to use the plate off my camper which make me really nervous just wondering what I should don't[/QUOTE said:
A homemade trailer will NOT have a VIN. You have to apply to the state for a VIN and they will assign you a number that you have to stamp into the frame. After you have stamped the VIN , THEN you go to the DMV to get it registered. I have built quite a few homemade trailers with no problems. Single axle and 3500 lb is easy here in NC. The DMV (highway patrol) might give it a visual before issuing a license plate.

Last edited:

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Not that I know anything about your States Lien codes or procedures but many states getting a title via a storage or abandonment lien may by an option. Title or no title with it without a vin here I could get a title. Takes a little reading and some time but that?s the direction Id look.

bigdee

Commander
go by HF and get a set of number stamps, problem solved

^^^x2^^^ Then.....1. have DMV inspect trailer. If it passes inspection they will issue a VIN number, 2. stamp tongue and axle or wherever state requires, 3. purchase tag. Don't know about your state but this is how it is done in NC. Permanent title is mailed in a few days.

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
I bought a VIN plate off eBay and had the seller stamp my VIN on it (laser etched actually). Then attached the VIN plate to the trailer. I think it was about $30. Quite a few sellers on there.

My Registration experience in Texas this week:
Found a 94' Sea Ray 170 that I liked, and bought after a nice check-out ride. I bought the boat with hardly a glance at the trailer. Trailer is fine mechanically but there was a slight paperwork problem that nearly scuttled getting the trailer registered in my name with new license plate. The previous owner never registered the trailer because he lived in a neighborhood where there is a community ramp around the corner, all private roads.

SO, when I went to the county tax office to transfer ownership of the trailer, they wouldn't do it because the dude I bought it from was not listed in the state database as the owner. Makes sense, right? Somebody steals your stuff, you don't want them to be able to transfer ownership.
There were willing to work with me a little bit, though. Said if I could get the seller to write a letter explaining who he bought it from, when he bought it, and why the heck he didn't transfer the registration, they might be able to transfer it.

Well, being the upright citizen he is, the seller sent me an email the next day stating the particulars. So, another trip to the tax office. The seller's story matched what was in the state database, so the manager there blessed all of my paperwork, charged me $87.50, and now life is good. I can proceed to throw money at the project boat with glorious abandon, and if I get in to deep, at least I have a legal trailer to tow it to my local boat shop......