What to do about rusted trailer?

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, my trailer is really, really rusty, apparently. There was a bunch of tape and cloth around this part of the trailer (P.O.... who knows) but I recently pulled it off and found.... this.

trailer1.jpg

The good news, if there is any, is that the trailer "frame" seems to be okay. It's hard to see from the photo, but the trailer frame rails wrap around this part. It looks like the rusted part is really only there to hold up the bow stop:

trailer2.jpg

So I guess I'm going to need a new trailer? Or, another thought was just a new bow stop that I can put in further up. But that depends on whether or not that beam is structurally critical.

Or, can I just.... weld plate steel over this? Before I do something like that, I want to get people's thoughts on:

1) am I correct in assuming that this beam isn't critically structural? It's just to hold the bow stop, right? So it's not like it'll fall apart if I have to trailer it out of the yard to weld it, correct? Assuming the rest of it is in good condition.

2) I worry that there are some applications where the heat of welding can make thing weaker. Is it okay to weld a trailer?

Any other thoughts or tips on how I should be dealing with this? I'm going to buy a new trailer, for sure.... but I guess what I don't know is how critical this is and how amenable this damage in this stop would be to welding as a temporary solution until I get a new one.

thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
2) I worry that there are some applications where the heat of welding can make thing weaker. Is it okay to weld a trailer?

Ayuh,.... That's how trailers are built, they're welded together,.....
To fix what's there, I'd cut out most of it, 'n weld in new steel,...
Just weldin' tiny patches over the holes ain't gonna cut it,....

Take a picture further back to be able to see the general construction of the trailer,....

That part might be just for the winch stand, or not,....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Back up and take another pic to show more of the tube. Is that the tongue made out of square or rectangular tube?

The frame appears to be C channel and can be examined. Tubing often rusts from the inside out and the part under the duct tape may be the good part.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If the rest of the C channel is good, just cut out and replace that whole tube from beginning to end. Don't leave any remaining part of that tube. Do not patch it with plates.

ahicks

Captain
Wowee....
This kind of rust here would have me giving the rest of the trailer a pretty serious going over prior to spending much time or money anywhere else on it. The axle might be the first thing I'd look at, followed closely by the springs and spring attach points, even the bolts. If the rest checks out OK or is easily repairable, the area in the picture isn't near as big a deal.

jaggededge

Cadet
Couldn't really tell without a shot further away showing more of the structure. Looks fixable to me though.