Some thoughts on two trucks.

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So Im looking for a newer truck. I currently have a 12.5ft Caprice skiff and 20HP Merc with trailer, all said and done it probably weighs ~800lbs MAX. I plan to upgrade to a Carolina Skiff J14 soon which would only add roughly 200lbs maybe a little more. I trailer my motorcycle from Florida up to TN and NC once a year to hit the trails.

I currently have a 2011 Ford Ranger, regular cab, 2.3L 5-Speed manual truck. It has roughly 115k miles on it - im sure it will last another 100k+. Im starting to get irritated of driving manual tranny and not having cruise control (last 3 autos were stick). I drive roughly 40 miles to work one way (80 round trip) which is why I got the Ranger (I average 25MPG). I live in south Florida where it is extremely flat. I put roughly 18-20k miles per year on my truck.

The two trucks I am looking at are the 2015+ Chevy Colorado/Canyon and the 2013+ RAM. Now, I dont want this to turn into a Chrysler vs GM battle, but my question is- seeing what I tow, how much I drive, and the need for decent MPG - what are your thoughts?

I previously had a 2007 Nissan Frontier 5-Speed 4cyl (dont remember size 2.7l?) that only got 23MPG at best, normally 21ish.

The RAM 1500 I would get a single cab tradesman with the Pentastar V6, automatic, and cruise control.

The GM I would most likely get base model 2.5L engine, extended cab, auto, and the cruise control isnt standard and requires a convenience package. HOWEVER, the difference in MPG between 4x4 and 2wd on the 2.5L engine is 1mpg (19/25 vs 20/26), so I would consider the 4x4 with this option.

My research shows both put out about 25 average MPG, though fuelly shows the Pentastar closer to 19/20 avg. I try hard to get good mpg while I drive.

What would you chose as a tow/daily driver out of the two?

alldodge

Staff member
Boats as with towing vehicles there is no replacement for displacement

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Small boat. How far do you tow? I've never seen a ramp in FL that needs a 4x4

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Small boat. How far do you tow? I've never seen a ramp in FL that needs a 4x4

the two I go to need a 4x4 at least 3 months out of the year. I routinely pull dually pick-em-ups up the ramp due to the amount of crud on the ramps. no amount of hp will prevent the rear wheels from spinning. need the front wheels to pull the vehicle up the ramp

that being said, I would run the ranger until its dead. then I would get the 5-cylinder in the Canyon, it will get better economy than the dodge

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ah forgot about the ramp crud yep happened to me once on a FL style ramp on Guntersville. Wife actually. Thankfully the new truck below has the knob not the stick for putting into 4x

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first time I pulled a truck up the kingfish ramp on AMI, it was a F350 dually with a power stroke, 8" stack and 4 guys in the bed hoping their added weight would aid in them attempting to pull a 28' grady out.....the truck was bellering and the tires were spinning as the truck was slipping backward into the water. they had no traction on the weeds/algae

I still had the boat on back, used 4 hi and idled back up the ramp pulling them out.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
So do you need a truck, or want a truck?

Do you need 4x4, or would awd or fwd work for you?

If all you tow or haul is the boat and the bike, you can get a lot cheaper, and more fuel efficient vehicle than a pickup.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
After market cruise control is relatively inexpensive and easy to install. If the Ranger works for you, add cruise and go footless!

briangcc

Commander
Do you need a truck? Reason I ask is that with that light of a load you are in SUV or Minivan territory which will get better mileage. Toss on AWD if you're worried about retrieving your boat in less than ideal situations.

Otherwise, I'd go with GM out of the two but even that wouldn't be my choice as the Ram has a funky shifter now, appears to be the same Chrysler put on the Jeeps. Joystick style. I had a loaner Jeep with that on it, I didn't like it at all. You may have a different opinion of it.

Personally, in the lighter truck segment I'd be looking at the Toyota Tacoma, Honda Ridgeline, or Nissan Frontier.

NYBo

Admiral
I would go with the Colorado/Canyon. Even the V6 gets good fuel economy. I know someone getting 28MPG highway with the V^ 4WD.
I would get the 5-cylinder in the Canyon, it will get better economy than the dodge
The Colorado and Canyon are some of the least crashworthy vehicles made.
You guys are thinking of the previous generation. The current generation is a very different, much better animal.

bigdee

Commander
Sounds like your satisfied with the Ranger but don't like the manual tranny. Why not an auto Ranger? If MPG is your priority just use that criteria. If you want used both the Ranger and 4 cylinder S-10 beat the imports on mileage. I used a 4 banger,2wd S-10 for years to pull a 18' ski boat.

Janster

Cadet
I have a 2016 GMC Canyon and I tow a Bass Tracker 175txw which is probably 3,000lbs. Truck does awesome - can't complain at all. The 2015/2016 have the 6 speed transmission while the 2017's have 8 speed. My truck (and many others) have weird transmission shifting where it upshifts too soon and doesn't downshift when needed (stutters/chuggles). The concensus of this is because of trying to save gas mileage. Some folks don't have this issue - it depends on driving style/habits. When towing 3,000lbs, I use Tow/Haul mode which has been great.

I've also had many tacomas, and a Dodge Ram. Personally for me - the Dodge Ram is just too big for running around town and parking in tight spots. It was awesome for towing 6,500lbs worth of Jeep. :) But for regular daily driving - just too big and doesn't fit in the garage.

Gas mileage on the Canyon isn't much different than any other 6cylinder truck. It probably does its best when traveling around 40-50mph regularly. Towing 3,000lbs - I'm seeing around 15mpg here in PA (winter gas mixture).

I love having 4WD - aside from PA winters/snow - I always use 4WD when launching and retrieving. If you search google for videos of 'Boat Launch gone wrong' - you'll never go without 4WD and never forget to engage it while launching ever again!!

If you plan on keeping the truck for 10 years....you never know.... 5 years from now, you'll be upgrading to an even bigger boat. You'll already have the truck that can handle it.

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow, this is probably the best amount of responses I have ever gotten. Thanks all!

To answer a few questions - I would consider it necessary to have a truck. I just bought a house in the Sunrise/Plantation area, have been hauling furniture, rocks for my garden, plants, and I have loads of equipment and tools I carry on a regular basis. I have actually looked into getting a Subaru Crosstrek for the wife (who loves the car) and it has the CVT AWD with ~2000lbs of towing which should suffice with the current setup and gets ~30 MPG. I also surf a ton, beach fish, and prefer to keep all of that sand and fish smell outside of the cabin. I also camp out of my truck as well roughly 15-20x a year.

I have previously had a Tacoma (1998) single cab, and a Frontier (2007). The Tacoma was horrid long distance because of the bench seat. Frontier just sucked on gas. The Ranger fit the bill as a good in between with better mileage. I will probably drive it another year or two, until I upgrade to the J14. The automatic 4cyl Ranger gets WAAAY less gas mileage due to the gearing. Good idea about the aftermarket cruise Ill look into that.

As for boat ramps- the boat ramp at Morningside Park in mid Biscayne Bay is where I used to put in. I tend to avoid the crowded ramps since I have a stick truck and feel uneasy sometimes. This ramp (which I no longer go to), while I was putting the boat in, I went back to bump the boat off the trailer and grab the rope to tie off - the truck started to slide down the ramp about 1.5-2ft... Mind you, this was while the truck had the parking break on, and was in first gear. Tires didnt roll, just started sliding due to the algae on the ramp. 4WD to me is more of a piece of mind, and if it comes at only 1MPG cost I would consider it.

I chose these two simply because the MPG honestly. The MPG I am reading on forums vs the tow capacity seem very good. They both seem roughly the same priced used with >50k miles. I do enjoy the size of the ranger and how I can squeeze into any parking spot... Might miss that a bit. Never been or had a need for a bigger boat, perhaps a 16ft would be the biggest I can see myself getting so the upgraded boat size isn't a concern. Still have a bit of thinking to do...

briangcc

Commander
Just for clarification..a lot changes in 19 years. I don't believe you can get a Tacoma with a front bench seat - they have a center arm rest like most trucks do these days. So the front bench is split.

But given that you're moving landscaping supplies you more than likely want the increased capacity of a full sized truck as the bed should hold more. At that point I'd be looking away from the Ram and at, god forbid, the GM. I had horrid luck with my GMC Sierra's from '01 and '04 so it takes ALOT for me to even suggest that. I'm more apt to look at the Tundra - not for mileage, but for the sheer capability of the beast. Having towed my same boat with GM offerings and a Tundra, the Tundra flogged the GM in towing. Hands down, wasn't even a contest. Personal experience - take it for what its worth.

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for info! I have actually looked at the Tundra but the MPG was just too low. Also, its funny you mention the armrest. When I was looking to purchase the Tacoma (another 4cyl single cab model), the reason I went with the Ranger was specifically that is HAD an armrest. The Tacoma was (reg cab not available new anymore), still a bench 60/40 split! All the way up until they cancelled the regular/single cab it had no armrest and a 60/40 split bench seat. Only was to get the armrest was with the regular cab Prerunner 4x4 version if I remember correctly.

briangcc

Commander
The Tundra in DC (double cab) short box isn't bad with the 5.7L. I was able to average 19-20 mpg in mixed driving - mine were '07 and '13 models. The Crewmax was horrible - I was anywhere from 16-18mpg and I very rarely got above that - this in a '16. But the leg room for the back seat....massive. Rear window that completely drops down - haven't seen that on another truck other than the Chevy Av and that required you to remove it.

The GM's are nice with their active fuel management BUT their decision to lower the gear ratio in the rear really hinders towing...or at least it did for me. In spots where the Tundra would pull in OD, I had to lock a Chevy Av into 4th gear. Acceleration, the Tundra beat the GM hands down while towing. Heck, I didn't even have to use Tow/Haul mode in the Tundra.

With the light load you're towing I doubt it'd be an issue but if you decide to upsize then it may start to become one.

Good luck again and we like pics when you make a decision!!

alldodge

Staff member
BUT their decision to lower the gear ratio in the rear really hinders towing

You mean raise, lower gears are better for pulling. You can get different gear ratios on must trucks, just need to order it that way

I dont want this to turn into a Chrysler vs GM battle

More Japan stuff :D

briangcc

Commander
Ehh...They (GM) went from a 3.73:1 rear ratio on their "tow package" (what was in my '01 & '04 Sierras) to a 3.42:1 (although it might have been a 3.23:1 ratio in the Av). Made a world of difference just between those trucks. Tundra is north of 4.1:1 and it's just a pure towing beast.

My Sierra's were made north of the border....good old Canadian made, Ottawa IF I recall correctly. The Tundra...good old state of Texas. Now the 4Runner I drive - yeah that's Made in Japan. Did fairly well with the Chap in tow too but it doesn't meet the OP's criteria for hauling stuff.

NYBo

Admiral
With the advent of 8-speed transmissions, differential ratios can't be readily compared to those from older vehicles. First gear can be lower to compensate for a numerically lower axle ratio.